Ozzie calls out Javy

Balta1701

Oz, this better work.

The subject of Javier Vazquez and his lack of success as a big-game pitcher came up again Sunday.

Guillen's response, two days before he puts the ball in Vazquez's hand for the critical series opener against the Minnesota Twins: ''He hasn't been [a big-game pitcher], that's the bottom line.''

A bottom line that Vazquez seems tired of addressing at this point in his 11-year career.

''You know what? It's not going to [change a lot of opinions] because I'm really the type of guy that when I retire, I'm going to be home in Puerto Rico with my family,'' Vazquez told the Sun-Times on Saturday, concerning his reputation. ''I'm not looking to have to change minds if people feel that way. I won't be paying attention to that. If I do well or if I don't, I'll still go home at the end of my career and be the same person.''

''What you see is what you get,'' Guillen said. ''Javy is going to be Javy. I just want him to be aggressive, throw the ball over the plate and knock somebody on their [butt]. That's a big three games for us.

''You have to be mean. Go out there and show them we show up to play, show up to kick your guys' [butts]. And believe me, that will take care of itself.''

Ozzie got himself front page @ ESPN.com with this one. Come on Javy, your manager just called you out publicly to try to motivate you.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

''You know what? It's not going to [change a lot of opinions] because I'm really the type of guy that when I retire, I'm going to be home in Puerto Rico with my family,'' Vazquez told the Sun-Times on Saturday, concerning his reputation. ''I'm not looking to have to change minds if people feel that way. I won't be paying attention to that. If I do well or if I don't, I'll still go home at the end of my career and be the same person.''

can be translated to, even if I give up 11 1st inning runs and we get swept, it doesn't matter. I will still go to Puerto Rico with my family with my millions of dollars.

Until Javy proves to step up in big games, that's what I see when he speaks. Javy is not a winner. I hope he can prove me wrong, because I really would love to eat Crow for dinner Tuesday night! I will even eat it for breakfast Wednesday Morning!

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
Vazquez's answer when his head coach calls him out to step up and perform in the biggest game of the year is not to respond to said point, but instead to pontificate on his retirement and the millions of dollars he will have, and state that he doesn't care what anyone thinks.

I can't think of a worse response.

Not sure if this matters, but Javy's statement was made a day before Ozzie called him out. I'm not sure the context of what Javy was actually asked, but he certainly was not responding to Ozzie's criticism.

QUOTE (rowandrules83 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 12:50 PM)
Not sure if this matters, but Javy's statement was made a day before Ozzie called him out. I'm not sure the context of what Javy was actually asked, but he certainly was not responding to Ozzie's criticism.

Oh wow, I didn't notice that. I guess that does change the context of this.

I'm not looking to have to change minds if people feel that way. I won't be paying attention to that.

Basically hes telling all of the people who have s*** on him for his entire career that they can take a long walk off a short pier.

He responded directly to the question, hes not going to go out there and try and change peoples minds, hes going to go out there and pitch the best game he can. If he wins he wins, if he loses he loses. Hes not going to hang himself, hes not going to cry about it the rest of his life, when hes done with this game hes moving on.

/shrugs

The facts are hes played almost 10 years and in 9 of them has started 30+ games. He shows up to work every day and for the most part is pretty consistent at what he does.

The point he is making is that if you dont like him, thats your problem and something that is not going to effect him.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Although I guess people would have preferred him saying that this is the biggest game of his career and if he doesnt win hes going to go home and kill his family cause he just couldnt live with the fact he lost a game?

I'm glad Ozzie isn't just sitting around. I hope this motivates Javy to go out and be "agressive". When he uses both sides of the plate he is absolutely dominant. The problem is he rarely is agressive which means he's just trying to pinpoint stuff over the outer half of the plate. He'll fall behind and hitters will be able to lean over and hit him.

If you scatterplot Vazquez's ERA against the winning percentages of the teams he has been on since 2000, you will see that Javy is more comfortable on losing teams, period. I suggest that we grant him his wish and send him to a losing team for next year. (How about Javy +$10 million for John Lannan)

I think Ozzie knows his personnel and probably has a feeling the Twins will be bashing balls off the baggies and this one will be over in the fourth inning if Javy pitches as he has in some "big games" before. Might as well try this to make it clear uh this is a big game, Javy. It's a f***ing huge game. Win game one of the series and it'll take a real choke job to blow the division title. Lose game one and the Twins might steamroll us in Games two and three.

Whatever ... I'm sure the Oz detractors will call him out if Javy implodes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
I think Ozzie knows his personnel and probably has a feeling the Twins will be bashing balls off the baggies and this one will be over in the fourth inning if Javy pitches as he has in some "big games" before. Might as well try this to make it clear uh this is a big game, Javy. It's a f***ing huge game. Win game one of the series and it'll take a real choke job to blow the division title. Lose game one and the Twins might steamroll us in Games two and three.

Whatever ... I'm sure the Oz detractors will call him out if Javy implodes.

I dunno. Not sure this is "calling Javy" out so much as it is telling the truth. Maybe Ozzie should have shut his piehole here, maybe not. I hope he knows what motivates Javy.

I think Javy's main problem is that he gets too upset when anything goes wrong - he doesn't get a close pitch, an infielder throws a ball away - and then starts throwing meatballs. One day, Javy will pitch a perfect game. It's just that he'll give up 150 4-run innings before he gets there.

He also seems to wilt under pressure. I think the first three innings are the key for him. If the Sox win the first three innings (say, they are up 2-0), he'll be fine. If it's 0-0 or the Sox are down 0-1, 0-2 or worse, just pull him after 5 and get someone else in there. He tends to come apart trying to keep games close.

Note - in games that Vazquez has started and the Sox have lost (they are 16-15 in his starts), they've scored 0 runs 3 times, 1 run 4 times, 2 runs 3 times, and 3 runs 3 times. The most they've scored in a game they lost is 4 runs (twice). In other words, get Javy some runs.

I think Ozzie knows exactly what he's doing here.

He intentionally changed the rotation to set up Javy pitching in this first game.

And now he's laying down his expectations - loud and clear.

"I just want him to be aggressive, throw the ball over the plate and knock somebody on their [butt]... 'You have to be mean. Go out there and show them we show up to play, show up to kick your guys' [butts]. And believe me, that will take care of itself.''

In other words, quit nibbling around the plate with offspeed stuff. Don't screw around and get behind people (like he did in New York). Throws strikes... and throw inside.

When Javy pounds the fastball inside and goes after people rather than trying to finesse his way through a lineup - he can be dominating. When he tries to get cute with his repertoire of pitches and starts getting behind... that's when he gets in trouble.

you could quarrel with how he responded, but even if javy said, "you know what, ozzie's right. i need to go out there and be a (butt) kicker tomorrow night because this is a really big game for our team" it doesn't really mean anything. people read too much into what these guys say.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
I really liked Vazquez when they got him.

I now consider him the wilting flower.

I am not sure what the stats are exactly but last season and earlier this season he was good and now he seems to be hit or miss based on who he is pitching against.

He's tied with Gavin Floyd for best ERA on the staff since the ASB... 3.78

He gave up a total of only 19 earned runs in his 9 starts since August 1st (before last week's game). A 2.83 ERA. And he went 6 or more innings in 8 of those 9 games. 58 strikeouts and 16 walks.

So... in the second half of the year, it's difficult to dispute he's been our best starter.

The biggest problem he's had is run support.

Edited by scenario

Javy's reply was almost Jon 'Chilly-Chill' Garland-esque.

Look, Javy is .500 career pitcher, always has been, always will be, what you see is what you get. Everyone knew that before he came on board. It's just a matter of which guy will show up on which night. Suddenly people act like he sux and want to call him out. How dare he perform like he's performed for most of his career.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 08:14 PM)
Javy's reply was almost Jon 'Chilly-Chill' Garland-esque.

Look, Javy is .500 career pitcher, always has been, always will be, what you see is what you get. Everyone knew that before he came on board. It's just a matter of which guy will show up on which night. Suddenly people act like he sux and want to call him out. How dare he perform like he's performed for most of his career.

word. at this point i think crede's back will feel better before javy turns into whitey ford.