Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 10:30 AM)
What? Clemson wasn't in the positon to piss anything away. It was Illinois that succeeded in pissing away a win with stupid turnovers, poor defense, and a terrible last possession.

My thoughts on the game:

If McCamey has dreams of the NBA, he better start playing like he cares. He's the laziest "star" player i've ever seen. Just imagine if he had a little bit of Dee Brown and Frank Williams in him. He'd be the best guard in the conference, and one of the best in the country.

Mike Davis...well, he showed a lot, but I'd say 80% of his shots were terrible in terms of form. His body never gets squared to the basket and his upper body always seem to be in front of his feet when he shoots. But whatever - he makes shots and he plays with emotion. I'll take that any day.

Tisdale showed me enough last year that he'll be a solid 3-4 year guy. I dunno about the NBA (I dunno that any of these guys will be in the NBA) but I think by his senior year he'll be like one of those white dudes up in Wisky (can't remember their names...the one specifically I'm thinking of had the tuba player girlfriend they always showed on TV) - good to great conference big men. Last night he seemed to be plagued by the McCamey syndrome - lack of emotion and mentally checked out.

Chester Frazier. Ugh. I hated you so much these last few years, but I see why Weber continues to play you and I'm beginning to change my opinion of you (for now...till you suck it up next week...) Some sick passes, some big rebounds, always good D and even a nice looking 3. If only you would have found a consistent shot... you'd have been a great college player.

Keller. Some good rebounds and a couple of good shots. He looks like the scorer that people talked about when he decided to transfer.

Weber. I can't blame anything on him in this game. His scheme was good (when the players executed), his adjustments were good (when the players executed), and he made the right substitutions throughout the whole game.

As to the future, I can't wait for Legion. One more scorer on the floor and that game goes Illinois' way by 10-15 pts. I have to believe that defense and decision making are going to be issues all season. I think this is a team that could mold into a tourney team, but they're going to have to stop making the rookie mistakes they keep making.

What??!!! The reason why Frank Williams never made it in the NBA is because he didn't care. He tried to let his talent get him through.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
What??!!! The reason why Frank Williams never made it in the NBA is because he didn't care. He tried to let his talent get him through.

He had it in college, he got paid, and then it was gone. Watch all of those classic UI-Mizz games. He could take over a game if/when he wanted to. Once he hit the NBA though he decided he didn't want to and I still dunno why.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)

Demetri reminds me so much of Frank. Not even so much in their style of play, but in the sense that he's a run the show guard who at times looks amazing and does whatever he wants, but at other times appears to not be interested. I hold no ill will towards Frank and his Illini career, but I hope Demtri finds that next level of "want to" that Frank never did and has the NBA career that Frank could have had.

Frankie was a much better finisher than McCamey is. The biggest issue Illini fans should have with Weber is his team's inability to hold onto the lead. Too often, his team takes the air out of the ball when leading and there's less than 10 minutes left in the game, and that has resulted in disasterous consequences the last 3 years.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 11:11 PM)
They'll lose earlier than people expect in March due to their lack of size, as is starting to become a tradition in Durham. I don't get why Coach K ignores bigs so much in recruiting these days.

He almost had Greg Monroe this year. He was between Georgetown and Duke, but he chose the Hoyas.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 03:33 AM)
The Georgia Tech/Penn State game was more interesting than I expected. Gani Lawal is a beast.

Lawal's awesome now, he's going to be a lottery pick after this season. Hewitt's one of the worst coaches in America. He's had a ton of NBA talent on his team in recent years, and they've had nothing to show for it.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 10:08 PM)
Five point win at UNI. First win for McDermott against the MVC in 7 tries.

Brackins channels his inner Beasley, 32 and 16.

Well with a first name such as his, he has to be a stud. And wow Northwestern. I'm sure FSU played awful, but Northwestern is improving talentwise, well for Northwestern anyways. The Big 10 really had a great chance to FINALLY win the Challenge this year, people were right that predicted that, but still couldn't quite get it done.

Btw, UIC won by 19 at Vandy tonight. So much for that being an impressive, or even a relevant win for the Illini. That sucks too, I thought it would be a nice resume win for the guys in orange.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 07:24 PM)
I think Sconsin hangs on here. I'm thinking the Big Ten gets 5.

Hey sweet. The shame is that the Big Ten could/should have won. Either way, it shows that the Big Ten is a lot deeper than it has been and the ACC isn't.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 10:24 PM)
This is the lowest low in the history of FSU basketball. I want to shoot myself. Northwestern? Seriously? Really? Wow.

Actually no, it was signing Leonard Hamilton to an extension and thinking it'd get you somewhere. It's now reached this point and it's not too surprising.