We need a back up catcher

Marky Mark

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)
Chris Snyder just signed an extension with the DBacks, so he is unlikely to be traded now.

3 years with a 4th year option bringing the deal to 20M.

Probably makes Montero available now.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 02:08 PM)
3 years with a 4th year option bringing the deal to 20M.

Probably makes Montero available now.

Montero's been available, but any team trading for him is trading for him to be a starting catcher, not a backup. He's going to cost quite a bit.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 25, 2008 -> 09:33 PM)
I would guess it's closer to zero than 50/50. It's a tough break for Lucy, but from the sounds of it, it's a pretty devastating injury.

Those odds aren't long-term...I have no idea what type of character person Lucy is or how hard he works, so I can't comment in that regard, but if he's a hard worker, I imagine he'll get a shot at some point in time in some organization.

Lunch pail, blue collar, works hard as anyone, is/was an absolute workhorse of a catcher. I saw him take a ball off the cup on a cold night. He played again the next night. If anyone could return from a kneecap injury, it would be Donny.

Edited by JPN366

• 3 weeks later...

Brad Ausmus burned the Padres to sign a $1 million deal with the Dodgers. Henry Blanco then signs a $750k contract with the Padres. We couldn't have done that?

Is it remotely possible for us to sign I-Rod? He wasn't offered arbitration, but he wants to play more often. AJ could use some more rest and he is participating in the WBC.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 01:48 AM)
Brad Ausmus burned the Padres to sign a $1 million deal with the Dodgers. Henry Blanco then signs a $750k contract with the Padres. We couldn't have done that?

Is it remotely possible for us to sign I-Rod? He wasn't offered arbitration, but he wants to play more often. AJ could use some more rest and he is participating in the WBC.

I'd love for the Sox to sign Pudge. I'm very upset about seeing Blanco sign for that cheap.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 07:05 PM)
I'd love for the Sox to sign Pudge. I'm very upset about seeing Blanco sign for that cheap.

as of right now, the back up is guna be someone from the minors right? none of them can hit. that is disappointing. i guess we really dont have money to spend lol

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 08:23 PM)
as of right now, the back up is guna be someone from the minors right? none of them can hit. that is disappointing. i guess we really dont have money to spend lol

Yep, Chris Stewart or Cole Armstrong. Lucy has an outside chance if his knee holds-up and he hits his ass off in spring.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 08:23 PM)

Yeah Im pretty pissed the sox couldn't get Blanco for the 1 year 750K he signed with the Padres for. He is exactly what we needed.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 08:02 PM)
Yeah Im pretty pissed the sox couldn't get Blanco for the 1 year 750K he signed with the Padres for. He is exactly what we needed.

I'm pretty disgusted too, especially if Stewart and Miller are really who will be battling for that spot. Blanco signed for less than half what they paid Toby Hall. He hits OK for a back-up, but defensively he's one of the best in the league. If AJP gets hurt, the White Sox are in trouble. Again.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 11:56 PM)
So how exactly do we determine who is the rightful owner of the nickname "pudge"? Because Carlton Fisk was hardly the first catcher to be affectionately called that.

How many other HOF catchers were commonly known as Pudge? I don't know of any, though I suppose its possible some early-era catcher was. There aren't that many catchers in the Hall anyway, I don't think.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
Catcher Tyler Flowers is already making a name for himself as backup to A.J. and hasn't even stepped foot in AZ! Not bad, eh?http://www.mouthpiecesports.com/media/17978 Post to MySpace! Share on MySpace!

Regarding the true one and only Pudge, our Pudge ... he was awesome of course. I loved everything about his stint with the Sox.

I also think it's kind of neat that he refused to quit til they tore the jersey off his back.

Remember when he couldn't catch the ball any more? Pitches were just flying by him. He couldn't see anymore.

I can't recall if the announcers would comment on it or not.

I don't know if Hawk ignored it or not.

It was sad. But I respect Pudge's stance on the matter. He wasn't gonna leave the game of baseball I'm sure for both the total love of the game and the fat paycheck. In his era I wouldn't discount the love of the game.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 10:18 PM)
Ivan Rodriguez is... not... Pudge.

There was one Pudge, and that guy actually knew how to call a game.

Exactly, hence why the White Sox won't be signing I-Rod, especially when you consider why Olivo was run out of town 4 or 5 years ago.

I would have loved to get Henry Blanco though, and was annoyed when he signed with the Padres for only $750,000.