Freddy Garcia speculation (Closed - Garcia Signs W/Mets)

southsider2k5

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 10:26 AM)
ugh....... yeah, this is just a waste of my time. Garcia is done as a pitcher, I'd be shocked if he stays healthy for spring training.

speak for yourself, and read the posts that make the most of your time

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
According to Phil Rogers of the Trib, don't be surprised if Freddy signs a one year, non-guaranteed deal with the White Sox.

Garcia's last hurrah was that gem he threw against us 9/29/08.

Freddy needs to find a beach while his right arm can still lift the Frescolita to his lips.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 08:27 AM)
This has been predicted several times by several people on the board. If it's non-guaranteed, I have absolutely no problem with it, as I trust Freddy as a #4 more than I trust Marquez.

How pitiful is our rotation that you trust Garcia as a 4th over Marquez ? Now imagine going into the season that way . Hello 100 losses.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 06:15 PM)
Freddie Garcia is a battler and also is a pitchr now and not simply a thrower. Obviously health is the issue, but a non-guaranteed contract is a pretty safe thing IMO

It's not safe though due to the fact that as long as Garcia is hitting 80 mph on the gun, I can't see Ozzie not putting him out on the mound come April. If we're rebuilding this year and going young at about 5 positions, then you might as well just go all out with it instead of trying to patch is up with mediocre older options.

Garcia will make the team at one point or another if the Sox signed him. I realize he didn't exactly light up the radar but he was just back from injury last season and his shoulder should still continue to get stronger and he was actually pretty decent in his late season starts.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
How pitiful is our rotation that you trust Garcia as a 4th over Marquez ? Now imagine going into the season that way . Hello 100 losses.

really? I didn't think losing Big-Game Javi would cost us26 wins. News to me.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)

Having crap round out the rotation to go along with a likely down year for one of Floyd or Danks, as well as likely Owens playing center field and leading off for us... I'd say at least 90 L's has a really good shot at happening.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 03:28 PM)

Just 3 starters ( no Javy and no Contreras) with Carrasco and Richard having the most ML experience yea if that happens along with the current roster dwellers manning other positions it's 100 losses. Now I don't expect the current roster to be exactly the same to start the season but its getting kind of scary and I know I'm not the only Sox fan holding his breathe right now.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 05:58 PM)
Just 3 starters ( no Javy and no Contreras) with Carrasco and Richard having the most ML experience yea if that happens along with the current roster dwellers manning other positions it's 100 losses. Now I don't expect the current roster to be exactly the same to start the season but its getting kind of scary and I know I'm not the only Sox fan holding his breathe right now.

You're forgetting we are in the AL Central and that we still face the NL in interleague play...we're not in the AL East, fortunately. Imagine being a Blue Jays or Orioles fan heading into this season? Not much fun.

As of right now, we're looking at 70-82 wins and 80-92 losses. Somewhere in that range. I can't see us as anything better than a .500 club with three new starters, including a very questionable leadoff hitter, some uncertainty surrounding Linebrink being as good as he was in 2008 (first four months) and all the holes in our starting rotation. But 100 losses? I don't think so.

Players like Getz and Lillibridge will probably end up giving the White Sox more of a boost than you give them credit for, and Viciedo and Beckham can have a huge impact as well in the 2nd half of the season to give us a "second wind," not to mention Contreras.

I think the bigger concern would be injuries/aging across the board with Dye, Konerko, Thome and AJ...those four, in particular. Granted, the Twins weren't expected to contend at all coming into last season and hung in there all season, but their pitching possibilities looked more hopeful than ours at the back end of the rotation.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
You're forgetting we are in the AL Central and that we still face the NL in interleague play...we're not in the AL East, fortunately. Imagine being a Blue Jays or Orioles fan heading into this season? Not much fun.

As of right now, we're looking at 70-82 wins and 80-92 losses. Somewhere in that range. I can't see us as anything better than a .500 club with three new starters, including a very questionable leadoff hitter, some uncertainty surrounding Linebrink being as good as he was in 2008 (first four months) and all the holes in our starting rotation. But 100 losses? I don't think so.

Players like Getz and Lillibridge will probably end up giving the White Sox more of a boost than you give them credit for, and Viciedo and Beckham can have a huge impact as well in the 2nd half of the season to give us a "second wind," not to mention Contreras.

I think the bigger concern would be injuries/aging across the board with Dye, Konerko, Thome and AJ...those four, in particular. Granted, the Twins weren't expected to contend at all coming into last season and hung in there all season, but their pitching possibilities looked more hopeful than ours at the back end of the rotation.

I don't want to quibble over a few losses . Let's face it we got lucky last year in that Ramirez, Quentin, Dank's , and Floyd all were major contributors. That kind of luck doesn't happen 2 years in a row. I'll soften my stance to say we won't come near competing with the roster as it stands now. But there's no chance in hell it stays the way it is now. The real question is do we pick up more question marks like Homer Bailey and more Cubans with the payroll remaining basically the same or actually try to compete which has been KW'S M.O.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 06:39 PM)
I don't think we should plan on Contreras coming back anytime soon, if ever. At his age, that injury potentially ended his career, IMO.

Yep Contreras is all but done. I think we all agree that we want Kenny to get one experienced starter. Is Freddy Garcia the answer? With all of his arm troubles the past few years, i would like to say not. Now is he a risk worth taking a look at? Sure. For Kenny, signing Freddy is a win-win situation. If Freddy cant cut it anymore, or his arm is giving him too many problems, you have Poreda to come up. (A similar El-duque-BMac situation). When El-duque needed some time off- BMac was there waiting.

If Kenny goes out and gets a guy like Garland, than that pretty much blocks an oppurtunity for one of our young guys to come up during the season. Im pretty possitive KW is certain Marquez is starting for us in 2009. And KW believes Marquez can post similar numbers as Garland at a much cheaper cost. If Garcia somehow stays healthy, and puts up decent #s 10 wins- 4.5-5 ERA, for a fifth starter- thats better than most in all of baseball and Kenny looks pretty good. I'm guessing a guy like Freddy Garcia or Pedro Martinez is the type of move KW makes to fill that 5th starting spot... But then again im just speculating here.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 06:39 PM)
I don't think we should plan on Contreras coming back anytime soon, if ever. At his age, that injury potentially ended his career, IMO.

the injury shouldn't end his career. An achilles tendon repair is a fairly easy one compared to most. even in the general orthopedic population the rehab is 6-9 months. With getting back into pitching shape and such I would guess he could be ready at about one year post surgery. Wasn't it around the All-Star break that we lost him?

That being said, he wasn't really pitching well last year so who knows how effective he could be this year.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 08:52 PM)
the injury shouldn't end his career. An achilles tendon repair is a fairly easy one compared to most. even in the general orthopedic population the rehab is 6-9 months. With getting back into pitching shape and such I would guess he could be ready at about one year post surgery. Wasn't it around the All-Star break that we lost him?

That being said, he wasn't really pitching well last year so who knows how effective he could be this year.

An injury like that can change the pitcher drastically. Everything will be out of synch, and it would take a tremendous amount of time just to learn how to pitch again. If he were younger, I wouldn't be talking like this, but he's probably about 40 right now. I think his career is done.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 11, 2009 -> 08:52 PM)
The thing is, what makes you think Garcia would magically be able to fill one of those spots? He can barely hit 80 on the radar gun, and there is no indication of him being able to hold for any significant amount of time.

He had a flare up in the shoulder over the winter as well. So who knows how the rehab is coming. It generally takes a full year of throwing to top out at the shoulder strength again. Who knows where that top will be and he still needs to throw more before he gets there.

I could see him being a 5-6 inning guy until he rebuilds the arm but he is a big question mark and not a sure thing by any stretch of the imagination.