Sox Sign Ben Broussard to minor league deal

easyw

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)
well according to the list, he is a Scott Boras client so that is kind of a big deal.

I would agree with you and emphasize it is because Boras is the agent, but also because we don't need a back up 1Bman at this point. It would be good to have someone as a backup player that can fill more than one position but you kind of think we might be looking at the pitching depth more as the place to spend our money

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 08:40 AM)
And every other position in the IF except P and C.

I read something of note a couple weeks ago on whitesox.com, I think that quoted either Kenny or Ozzie as saying that Betemit could also play catcher. Anyone else have any recollection of that?

In any event, I think Betemit will be an outstanding supersub for this club this year and even more of a spark than Pablo was in '05. Marquez may take some time and he may be a serviceable player down the road in our ballpark and Nunez may end up being the best player in the deal but I really like what Betemit brings to the table.

I'm hoping Jerry Owens as well.

1. Jerry Owens, CF

2. Jayson Nix, 2B

3. Dayan Viciedo, 3B

4. Josh Kroger, LF

5. Michael Restovich, DH

6. Ben Broussard (???), 1B

7. David Cook, RF

8. Donny Lucy, C

9. Javier Castillo, SS

That would be a pretty solid AAA lineup.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (easyw @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 02:03 AM)
I know this sounds insane, but I've been told by someone close to the matter that the Sox are close to signing Ben Broussard.

This move makes zero sense to me, but since I heard it, I figured I'd put it out there.

Nice rumor. Looks like it turned out to be true.

QUOTE (easyw @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 12:03 AM)
I know this sounds insane, but I've been told by someone close to the matter that the Sox are close to signing Ben Broussard.

This move makes zero sense to me, but since I heard it, I figured I'd put it out there.

Good call . Sox signed Broussard to a minor league deal. http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....eague-deal.html