2009 AL Central Thread

daa84

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 07:54 PM)
I think Joba will be their closer. It's amazing how much his stuff has deteriorated due to going from bullpen to the starting rotation.

I think DET really knows they're in for a battle now...if they didn't one month ago.

The Twins and Sox have really stepped it up.

And they will have to be very vigilant about not overusing Porcello and Verlander. Leyland can run up some high pitch counts.

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's signed thru 2014...

For a very reasonable price too. That was a damn good extension for Soria. Barring trade, (and I wouldn't rule that out at all from what he can bring in) he'll be giving the AL Central fits for years in the 9th. Automatic.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 09:33 PM)
For a very reasonable price too. That was a damn good extension for Soria. Barring trade, (and I wouldn't rule that out at all from what he can bring in) he'll be giving the AL Central fits for years in the 9th. Automatic.

The Marlins inquired a week or so ago, they were told he is not available.

This year was Grienke's CY Young to lose, and so far now, he seems to not want it. Makes you think how incredible Cliff Lee's season was in his Cy Young year. I don't even think he had as many bad outings the whole year as Greinke so far.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 8, 2009 -> 06:58 PM)
This year was Grienke's CY Young to lose, and so far now, he seems to not want it. Makes you think how incredible Cliff Lee's season was in his Cy Young year. I don't even think he had as many bad outings the whole year as Greinke so far.

Zach Greinke has started 18 games this year and has 16 quality starts. If a bad outing is suddenly become up a 6 IP, 3 ER outing, then the rest of the majors must be pretty bad.

FWIW, Cliff Lee had 8 non-QS last year, and by this point last year, had 4. Greinke is pitching better than Lee did last season.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 08:50 AM)
Don't worry Carlos Gomez will have a huge weekend.

Carlos has some odd routine in his preparation to bat, where he turns the bat on its side, and sniffs the bat. Its one of the oddest things I have seen. Watch for it, in his bats this weekend.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 10:03 AM)
Carlos has some odd routine in his preparation to bat, where he turns the bat on its side, and sniffs the bat. Its one of the oddest things I have seen. Watch for it, in his bats this weekend.

I think he actually whispers to the bat.