Thank you White Sox

Chisoxfn

Well I don't know who exactly was the genius behind things, but Steve Stone is the biggest f***ing upgrade in the history of upgrades. I loved DJ more than most and am glad he's still broadcasting, but Stone is the best analyst in the business and its such a joy hearing him. I'd probably have made this thread sooner, but I was at work for yesterdays game and DVR'd todays so I just got through it now and I'm speachless at how good it is to hear Stoney.

Thanks Sox!!!

He really is great. Love the analysis, and he really brings a lot of experience to the game. Being a broadcast major and getting into a lot of my classes, I'm starting to realize that Hawk is pretty bad sometimes. With that said, it's still early on and it's going to take some time, but I think the two of them together could be the best in the game. I think they compliment each other very well.

The best part of last night's broadcast was when Floyd got into a little trouble facing Gordon with runners on and Olivo on deck. Hawk asks Stoney: "What would you do here, Stoney?"

Stone:"Plunk Gordon and go after Olivo."

Hawk laughs and says "That's why he's here, folks!"

Stone:"Why waste 3 more pitches to Gordon when I can use them to strike out Olivo?"

Floyd pitches around Gordon and promptly strikes out Olivo. Stone rulz!

Stone definitely has a smarter head for the game than most broadcasters. About 10 times during a game he'll say "he should throw [insert pitch type] right here, [insert pitch location]".

And sure enough, 9/10, that's what the pitcher throws, and the 1/10 he doesn't things end poorly.

The booth got much better with Stoney joining.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 08:08 AM)
One of the best things about Stoney is he makes Hawk a little more listenable now...

Yeah Hawk definitely needs a strong counter to his homerism and whining. DJ, who is otherwise a decent announcer, wasn't that guy.

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 07:26 AM)
If Kenny ever gets tired of being GM, (and it will be his call)

I see Stoney moving right in...

I wonder if there is already a secret deal in place...hmmmm.

Steve Stone is a much better manager than he is a personnel guy. I seem to recall him being a big proponent of Darin Erstad at the time, and we all saw how that worked out.

Imagine Rooney and Stone for the TV broadcast...that would be so awesome...I still think he compliments Hawk well...from what I can tell so far he doesn't let Hawk go on and on about something, and he clarifies when Hawk starts rambling about something a layman would have no idea about (wipes or whatever it was yesterday)

QUOTE (sweatpants @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 07:01 AM)
Does anyone know if Stone was ever offered any managerial positions or at least a bench coach? It's pretty ridiculous how many times he's right. What a baseball guru.

I love that before the catcher even puts the sign down he is just like "Well lets see what he can do with the hook here"

The other wonderful thing about Stoney being in the booth is now you have a hitter and a pitcher in the booth. The days of, "Wimpy/DJ, could you ever hit a pitch like that?" are over.

Now we have a REAL color guy that can provide insight into WHY pitchers should or should not do certain things. Let Hawk take care of hitting and Stone take care of pitching.

Love it.

I never was much of a Steve Stone fan but I've been pretty impressed now that he has joined Hawk in the booth. He doesn't seem to have the "I'm Steve Stone and you're not" attitude that I saw, or imagined I saw, when he broadcast for the Cubs. He does have a great deal of baseball knowledge.

I've only heard DJ & Farmer once or twice during spring training, but I thought they both sounded better as a team. I happy with both duos.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 07:02 AM)
I still long for the days of Caray and Piersall, but the addition of Stone ain't bad. Definitely one of the best color guys in the game. I still can't believe that the Cubs forced him out.

The Pony just wasn't warm and fuzzy enough for the Cubbies in the long run. Their loss, our gain. And yes, I will always miss the Harry and Piersall tandem. You never knew what you might hear from those two.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 10:10 AM)
And yes, I will always miss the Harry and Piersall tandem. You never knew what you might hear from those two.

MLB Network re-aired Fisk's first game in Boston as a Chi-Sock (1981) about a month ago. Listening to Harry and Jimmy rip the umps was priceless. In his prime, Harry was an absolutely amazing talent.

Edited by WCSox

Steve Stone could just talk about baseball period and it'd be listenable. How that guy calls pitches--he did it last night--is almost eerie.

That said, it's good news/bad news with him and the Hawkeroo. Sticking them together is like buying a Maserati but then painting it brown and plastering it with bumper stickers. I would've rather seen Stone/DJ.

If I have to listen to one more "Back when I was playing, cars couldn't go up hills!" type story from the Hawkeroo, I'm going to scream.

Agreed. Steve Stone is such a knowledgeable baseball man. Listening to his deep analysis and insight every day is an absolute joy as a baseball fan. Definitely one of the greatest acquisitions ever made by the White Sox organization.

Is it just me, or does Hawk sound even better now that Stone is announcing games with him? I love listening to Sox games now...

Anyone else think the only reason DJ stayed with the White Sox as the radio man was because he was possibly guaranteed Hawks spot on the TV, whenever it might be when Hawk retires?

Since there have been so many day games so far, as is usual in the beginning of the season, I have heard more Farmer and DJ than I have heard Stone and Hawk. I like what I have heard from Stone and Hawk, but I have to say that so far my favorite part of the change is how much more listenable the radio has been. IMO DJ and Farmer are a VERY good pairing. I had grown sick to death of Farmer in recent years, but DJ makes things so much better.