"We're just not good right now"

southsider2k5

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...-ssep14.article

Paul Konerko lays down the blunt: 'We're just not good right now'

WHITE SOX | 'We're just not good right now -- that's it'

Comments

May 14, 2009

BY JOE COWLEY jcowley@suntimes.com

CLEVELAND -- Who said Paul Konerko wasn't the type of leader who could lay down the law?

After the White Sox were shut out for a major-league-leading sixth time Wednesday, the team captain pulled no punches about what's going on with the defending Central Division champs.

''We're just not good right now -- that's it,'' he said after a 4-0 loss to the Cleveland Indians in which Jermaine Dye and manager Ozzie Guillen were ejected for arguing balls and strikes. ''You need to score runs in the American League. Any team that scores three runs or less, except the team with the best pitching, is going to have a horse[bleep] record. That's the way it is.

''We ask, how do we get it better, how do we score runs? [There's] not an easy answer because it's not one of those things where you can say, 'Hey, let's all go out there and swing for the fences.' It's one of those things where every hitter has to look at himself and say, 'OK, what do I do well, what makes me tick?' And try to focus on that.

''We're not putting anything together. It's not like other sports when you could say, 'OK, let's go defense, let's go offense,' and everyone has kind of the same flow. We all need to get better.''

Konerko says a team can't be judged until June 1, but the Sox have lost eight of 11 games and on some days have disappeared offensively.

''I'm glad [we're not in] June because it buys us more time,'' Konerko said.

''As a player you try to find the positives, and that's what I'm trying to do. This game comes at you almost every day -- we have an off day [Thursday], but we play almost every single day. So as a player you can try to look at what's wrong in yourself or the team, but the game is coming at you the next day. You have to be ready. ... It's not easy, it's a tough game. We've just got to keep fighting.''

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 14, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)
Glad to see the captain comes out and states the facts. Hopefully the team gets its lineup back and wakes up. If not, we'll see at least a few familiar faces dealt at the deadline (Dye/Thome/Colon).

Probably can add Dotel to the list.

QUOTE (kane0730 @ May 14, 2009 -> 10:54 AM)
Probably can add Dotel to the list.

Maybe Linebrink. Obviously both are very valuable to the Sox, but if you can get good prospects for them and free up the salary I wouldn't be opposed to it. That said, they both make a decent chunk of money so I don't know if teams would give the Sox much anything for them.

Plus I am a firm believer that in this economy the Sox could go out and find other relievers that would do a similar job.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 14, 2009 -> 01:16 PM)
Before we start trading away the team, lets wait til Brian Anderson comes off the DL. Put that bat back in the lineup and that glove out in the field......I think we'll be fine. Granted, its been a tough stetch with him gone from the club but BA is a difference maker and he'll be back very soon.

No offense, but if Brian Anderson is our "savior", we're ready to be in fourth place all year. And I like Anderson.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 14, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
No offense, but if Brian Anderson is our "savior", we're ready to be in fourth place all year. And I like Anderson.

^^^^

About what I was thinking.

I agree that the Sox can't start talking about trading everyone away just yet. The Sox are 2.5 games back (big deal). The Royals are coming back down to Earth, Dontrelle's back getting rocked in Detroit, the Twins have no bullpen (besides their closer of course). It's gonna warm up and the ball will start flying outta the park. Dotel and Linebrink have been phenomenal. This team is very fortunate to be playing this badly and be in the situation they are.

I like Anderson too, but I don't know if I'd call him a difference maker.

The only difference he's ever made was that great catch to end the Twins game last year.

He looks like an average major league hitter to me, and a great fielder.

It seems like we have some famous, proven big league players, all older guys, and a lot of bad ones.

Weird roster makeup, but I guess typical in this day and age of some players hoarding all the money.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 14, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
I like Anderson too, but I don't know if I'd call him a difference maker.

The only difference he's ever made was that great catch to end the Twins game last year.

He looks like an average major league hitter to me, and a great fielder.

It seems like we have some famous, proven big league players, all older guys, and a lot of bad ones.

Weird roster makeup, but I guess typical in this day and age of some players hoarding all the money.

Here's the question...it's not "How much of a difference is there between Brian Anderson and an average major leaguer", it's "How much of a difference is there between Brian Anderson and Brent Lillibridge"?

It's like going from Ross Gload to Albert Pujols in your lineup.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
I think if things don't work out, anyone expecting the White Sox to be able to dump their larger contracts for halfway decent prospects are going to be in for a rude awakening.

To get anything decent we would have to eat some of the remaining contract. And that is something that we don't do.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 14, 2009 -> 11:54 AM)
To get anything decent we would have to eat some of the remaining contract. And that is something that we don't do.

Saving $5-$6 million by moving a contract or two might be worth it if we're really out of things.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
Here's the question...it's not "How much of a difference is there between Brian Anderson and an average major leaguer", it's "How much of a difference is there between Brian Anderson and Brent Lillibridge"?

:lolhitting

Wow.

I hear you. And while I don't disagree, if Anderson makes that much of a difference, again, we're screwed anyway.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
Saving $5-$6 million by moving a contract or two might be worth it if we're really out of things.

Define "really out of it". In this division, no one will be "really out of it" all year, I don't think. The AL West and AL Central are both pathetic.

I can definitely see a few trades if things don't turn around, but would the Sox trade Colon? They're not paying him much, and I can't imagine he would bring a ton in a trade considering his health and girth (which doesn't help his health).

QUOTE (hogan873 @ May 14, 2009 -> 12:07 PM)
I can definitely see a few trades if things don't turn around, but would the Sox trade Colon? They're not paying him much, and I can't imagine he would bring a ton in a trade considering his health and girth (which doesn't help his health).

If we're far enough back I'm sure they'd consider it, but that requires 2 things to happen: 1. Colon has to keep pitching well and stay healthy enough for a contender who needs a pitcher to be tempted, and 2. someone has to offer up something valuable enough that we'd come out ahead even if Colon winds up being a type B or better FA next year (aka we need something more valuable than a sandwich pick, so it has to actually be some quality).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
I think if things don't work out, anyone expecting the White Sox to be able to dump their larger contracts for halfway decent prospects are going to be in for a rude awakening.

A lot of that depends on who is in it. If we are talking about the big spenders, like BOS, NYY, and LAD they will spend as usual. If we are talking about teams like STL and KC, they won't have any money to spend. It might also hurt the Sox if a lot of high dollar teams are out of it and looking to dump players, such as LAA and DET.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 14, 2009 -> 11:54 AM)

In this case that won't be the case since most of the contracts that the SOx will be moving will be ending at the end of the year so it shouldn't be a big deal, imo. The Sox won't be getting any superstar #1 prospects in return though or at least I don't believe they will.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)

Hey now, no hating on The Ross Gload!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 14, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
In this case that won't be the case since most of the contracts that the SOx will be moving will be ending at the end of the year so it shouldn't be a big deal, imo. The Sox won't be getting any superstar #1 prospects in return though or at least I don't believe they will.

Good post. There almost better off just letting Dye, Thome and Contreras walk at the end of the year and just use the type a or b compensation when they leave via free agency.