Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 23, 2009 -> 08:47 PM)
I think the Padres just started licking their chops when they saw what Clayton did tonight. The Pirates is what the Padres usually face in the NL anyhow.

I got no problem bashing the NL, but the Pirates showed that they are clearly one of the worst teams in baseball. A lot of teams in the NL are mediocre, but the Pirates are far worse than mediocre.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got no problem bashing the NL, but the Pirates showed that they are clearly one of the worst teams in baseball. A lot of teams in the NL are mediocre, but the Pirates are far worse than mediocre.

Not sure if you meant to bash Clayton with this post. I don't care who he's facing it was a very nice outing. Obviously he should be given more chances to start, especially with our rotation somewhat of a mess on the back end. His fastball on TV looked good to excellent at times and he did a nice job against the Bucs' lefties. I'd rather see him out there than Colon.

As far as those saying it'd be nice to face the Bucs 19 times like the Cubs do ... we've had a similarly bad team in our division for years in the Royals and we don't always maul them.

I give Clayton much credit for tonight.

I could give a f*** who we were playing.

Nice job.

No, but you were responding to the post that mentioned Clayton's performance making the Padres salivate.

So I assumed you were saying pretty much anybody could get the Bucs' hitters out.

I just think he deserves a lot of credit because sometimes it doesn't matter who is at the plate with our pitchers on the mound. It looked like he was copying Mark by immediately getting on the damn rubber and working as quickly as he could. The Bucs' hitters stepped out a lot, etc.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 26, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)
Paging Roy Oswalt. Please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Peavy and Oswalt are actually best friends. So, getting Oswalt would make the Peavy trade far more possible, assuming we didn't trade the desired package... What? A man can dream, can't i?

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 26, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)
Peavy and Oswalt are actually best friends. So, getting Oswalt would make the Peavy trade far more possible, assuming we didn't trade the desired package... What? A man can dream, can't i?

We share the same dream my friend!

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 26, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)

Just for fun: that would be near $70M for 8 pitchers.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 26, 2009 -> 05:15 PM)
Just for fun: that would be near $70M for 8 pitchers.

I didn't realize he meant Peavy AND Oswalt. I would settle for just Oswalt. . which could be more and more realistic if Houston falls more and more out of it.

Oswalt's remaining contract:

2009: $14 million (would be down to around 8 million by the time KW could get him)

2010: $15 million

2011: $16 million

2012: Club option or $2 million buy out.

This is just food for thought. I obviously want this dude. Who knows what KW has planned. His contract is expensive but its reasonable. Especially with potentially $40 million + off the books. His contract would run parallel with Buerhle's as his also comes off the books in 2011 .

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 26, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
i think kenny would probably prefer to go after a pitcher who is still in his mid to late 20's, rather than someone who'll be in their mid-30's by the time their contract is over

Since completing a deal for Peavy clearly means that the Sox are going for it NOW (rather than next year when Thome and Dye are gone, or the following year when Paulie is gone), methinks that Kenny would be perfectly fine with a lesser financial commitment to an older pitcher like Oswalt.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 26, 2009 -> 06:12 PM)
i think kenny would probably prefer to go after a pitcher who is still in his mid to late 20's, rather than someone who'll be in their mid-30's by the time their contract is over

I don't think we're getting Verlander, King Felix, Danny Haren, Lincecum, etc. Guys that fit your description don't exactly hit the market very often. Peavy is the rare exception due to the Padres' financial situation.

Maybe we'll get lucky and either sign Lackey or trade for and then extend Brandon Webb. Lackey would be pretty unlikely, but Webb could be a real possibility given our relationship with the D'Backs.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 26, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)
Since completing a deal for Peavy clearly means that the Sox are going for it NOW (rather than next year when Thome and Dye are gone, or the following year when Paulie is gone), methinks that Kenny would be perfectly fine with a lesser financial commitment to an older pitcher like Oswalt.

Is dealing for Peavy necesarily going for it "now"? The guy is signed through 2012 and most likely would have an option picked up for '13. This guy stabilizes our team for years.

The thing about Oswalt is that he is 30-31 and doesn't seem to be the same pitcher he used to be. I'm sure for us, he could be really solid, but that's a lot of money for a really solid pitcher who will be leaving his prime soon.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 27, 2009 -> 09:42 AM)
The thing about Oswalt is that he is 30-31 and doesn't seem to be the same pitcher he used to be. I'm sure for us, he could be really solid, but that's a lot of money for a really solid pitcher who will be leaving his prime soon.

Check out oswalts first half and second half numbers from last season. He looks to be far from done to me, and what i have been hearing.

Oswalt has been overthrowing his fastball and especially his curveball the entire season and therefore missing his spots. The 11 homeruns oswalt has given up this season, in only 62.1 innings pitched, would be more discouraging if not for how oswalt performed in the second half last season. Last season oswalt threw 23 homeruns, 5 more than his previous career, out of those 23 only 5 came in the second half.

He is hands down one of the very best pitchers in the game.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 26, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)

A Peavy deal would obviously help the Sox this year, I mean 4.5 out with plenty of games against KC, Min and Det left, but the deal would also have been a long term deal... MB, Danks, Floyd and Peavy under control or contract for 3 more years, still money coming off the books, even with adding Peavy and an improved farm system to use for players or trades.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 26, 2009 -> 08:27 PM)

Trust me, the Sox are looking at a 3-5 year window right now, so any pitcher they get has to fit into the plan that they'll be able to help the Sox compete for the next 3 to 5 years, well, as long as its a pitcher you have to give up substantial talent for.

Roy Oswalt probably isn't near the top of there list. Unless the price isn't that substantial. For example, if you could get Oswalt without giving up Richard (so same package as Peavy hypothetically, less Richard, than I'd understand a bit more).

QUOTE (qwerty @ May 27, 2009 -> 08:05 AM)
Check out oswalts first half and second half numbers from last season. He looks to be far from done to me, and what i have been hearing.

Oswalt has been overthrowing his fastball and especially his curveball the entire season and therefore missing his spots. The 11 homeruns oswalt has given up this season, in only 62.1 innings pitched, would be more discouraging if not for how oswalt performed in the second half last season. Last season oswalt threw 23 homeruns, 5 more than his previous career, out of those 23 only 5 came in the second half.

He is hands down one of the very best pitchers in the game.

And he's done it pitching at a launching pad. I was hesitant of Oswalt but I have taken a bit more of a look and he's not as bad of an option, assuming you can get him for a bit less than Peavy.