Piniella comments on Sox attendance

caulfield12

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the game on Thursday against the Dodgers because it was my cousin's birthday and he wanted to go with me, his brother, and my brother. If it wasn't for this I probably wouldn't have went because the ticket was $46 when I've gone to games in the same exact seat for $32. I would much rather go to a cheaper game even though it might be against a "lesser" opponent. Who cares that the Dodgers have the best team in baseball? Is it worth an extra $14 a ticket? Not for a college kid on a budget. All I know is that I GO TO GAMES. That's all that matters to me. That's what I tell all the Cubs fans who bring this stuff up. I go to about 8-10 games a year. I don't need there to be a sellout at the game for me to be happy. I go to enjoy baseball and hopefully a Sox victory everytime I go to the park.

Does making a weekday series including one afternoon game on a thursday all Premium priced games have anything to do with it. You bet your ass it does. Nice move by the sox, especially in a week economy to price fans away from coming to typical low attended weekday games to begin with.

I love how ESPN and Sportscenter reported the Ozzie quote as if Ozzie just said it. They failed to mention it was completely provoked by Pinella. I've had 4 cubs fans tell me how Ozzie needs to worry about the White Sox before calling Wrigley a bar. Boy was it nice to say actually Pinella should worry about something other then the Sox attendance.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
That's amazing Joliet has a team too. Teams all over the place. Which of the 3 is best experience to see a game if I want to take the nephews on vacation?

I have only been to the Hammers game but that place is great. IMO

Cougars did a great job when I was a kid at aiming a bunch of marketing at elementary schools. There was a reading program where if you read, like everyday, and marked it on this calendar and had your mom sign it you got a free ticket. Also, being as it was so close we went to a bunch of games when I was young. The grass seats and promotions were fun, I'd recommend it for your nephews.

question: Do you think downtimes like this might not affect our local minors as much as people might see them as a cheaper source of entertainment?

I think the cheap entertainment thing would keep them a strong option for people, but I have no idea how any of those teams draw.

I would assume tickets are that of a movie. 10 bucks or so for a good seat?

That's pretty good out in suburbia. Don't have the hassle of going into the city and still get to see a game.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
Do the Kane County Cougars and Schaumberg Flyers draw many fans?

If so, people must really love baseball in the Chicago area. Lots of teams. Are there any others besides those two?

Windy City Thunderbolts.

When I worked for the Cougars, they averaged just under 10,000 per game. They draw very well.

Edited by ptatc

Where do the WC Thunderbolts play?

Somewhere South?

I grew up in Mt. Greenwood. Lot of baseball fans there. Any of you ever seen the Mt Greenwood LL complex? Is it still pretty good as it was when I was little?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 10:33 PM)
Windy City Thunderbolts.

When I worked for the Cougars, they averaged just under 10,000 per game. They draw very well.

yeah that doesn't surprise me. It's free parking, too, no? Really cheap for a family to go.

The Cougars are great. It is an awesome atmosphere especially for little kids. There's always something to keep them entertained. They draw around 8-10 thousand, so they do very well. They also just renovated the stadium and added some suites this year. I've been going there since I was a little kid and yes it is free parking as well.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)
Gary Steelheads

I drove by their brand new (looking, anyway) stadium last summer. It's in a very depressing part of town.

Joliet's stadium is nice. They have hot tub seats. :lolhitting

I was at the Flyers game once and it was okay. Nothing too special.

edit: I think the Jackhammers offered Frank Thomas a contract last year when he was cut by the Blue Jays. Anyone know how much these players usually make?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jun 29, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
Does making a weekday series including one afternoon game on a thursday all Premium priced games have anything to do with it. You bet your ass it does. Nice move by the sox, especially in a week economy to price fans away from coming to typical low attended weekday games to begin with.

I do love that sig too.