Quentin Showing off in Charlotte

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I normally feel like we get an honest, or rather accurate, read from our organization regarding player injuries - but with Quentin I feel the opposite. I'm going to be very cautious with my expectations.

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
Where's the Sportscenter coverage of that??? Manny got coverage everytime he took a piss and wiped his ass. Sry I had to vent that. Good for Carlos.

I know it is a circular thing, but Manny is much better known, and that gets viewers. He is a loud, outgoing personality. If your paycheck depended on viewers, who would you put on Sportscenter?

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
Where's the Sportscenter coverage of that??? Manny got coverage everytime he took a piss and wiped his ass. Sry I had to vent that. Good for Carlos.

Manny is perhaps the greatest run-producer of our generation and tested positive for steriods. Quentin had injury issues before 2008, had one good season only to end it with another injury, returns the next year, plays subpar, and promptly gets hurt again. His rehab stint is hardly newsworthy on a national level.

As for his return ... I really doubt he'll make much of an impact, especially if he can't run, seeing that you're only risking losing him into next season.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)
Good to know that he's not just pulling everything in sight.

I really felt like his approach at the end of last season and this season was poor and a departure from what brought him so much notoriety. He has a basehit swing and approach, but is so strong that his balls leave the yard. I think he'd been reading the statsheet too much, because he had been going to the longball approach that is so characteristic of White Sox hitters in recent years. Some of his biggest (most important) hits were simply ground balls through the middle, and I like those just as well.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
Our team is still in the race and CQ has been out for most of the year...getting him back is going to be large.

The question becomes how LONG do we get him back before he gets hurt again? You know it will happen....I almost guarantee it unfortunately.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 06:12 AM)
Watching SportsCenter = fail. That's your problem right there.

ESPN/Sportscenter is single handedly to blame for what we see in the All Star games these days. It's their choice of coverage and over dramatization of certain teams and personas that is causing kids across the US (and some adults as well) to vote in favor of a 260avg jason bay, or 200 avg Veritek over those with actual AllStar numbers (who have to rely on player and coach voting).

as a die hard fan of a team on the outside of their circle this is beyond infuriating. I can remember when the voting was still fan based at the parks, and the punch cards at least came with a summary of the guys key stats for some reference. The sponsor laden online voting now doesn't even list a single number for a "fan" to reference....and that's just the way they want it..... disgusting

ESPN always argues, eg on Colin Cowherd's show, that they just give the people what they want to see, I would vigourously counter that they've successfully swayed people to take innterest in their interests, to the point now where a historically unsuccessful team like Boston now has the same unlimited funds to buy any free angent they want, and risk losing quality free agents to only the one team richer than they are....

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
ESPN/Sportscenter is single handedly to blame for what we see in the All Star games these days. It's their choice of coverage and over dramatization of certain teams and personas that is causing kids across the US (and some adults as well) to vote in favor of a 260avg jason bay, or 200 avg Veritek over those with actual AllStar numbers (who have to rely on player and coach voting).

as a die hard fan of a team on the outside of their circle this is beyond infuriating. I can remember when the voting was still fan based at the parks, and the punch cards at least came with a summary of the guys key stats for some reference. The sponsor laden online voting now doesn't even list a single number for a "fan" to reference....and that's just the way they want it..... disgusting

ESPN always argues, eg on Colin Cowherd's show, that they just give the people what they want to see, I would vigourously counter that they've successfully swayed people to take innterest in their interests, to the point now where a historically unsuccessful team like Boston now has the same unlimited funds to buy any free angent they want, and risk losing quality free agents to only the one team richer than they are....

a lot of Boston being unsuccessful was due to poor execution. From 1967 to today, and not counting the strike years of '81 and '94, the Red Sox have won fewer than 78 games one time. To put that into another form, the Red Sox have won atleast 78 games in 41 of the past 42 seasons. That's absolutely incredible. In the 3 seasons from '77-'79, they won 287 games, an average of just under 96 wins a season, and didn't make the playoffs once.

The Red Sox have always been a pretty good organization, and they've become the best organization in the majors within the past 5 seasons. Having money as they do (though they do their best to stay under the luxury tax cap) doesn't hurt.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 05:41 PM)
a lot of Boston being unsuccessful was due to poor execution. From 1967 to today, and not counting the strike years of '81 and '94, the Red Sox have won fewer than 78 games one time. To put that into another form, the Red Sox have won atleast 78 games in 41 of the past 42 seasons. That's absolutely incredible. In the 3 seasons from '77-'79, they won 287 games, an average of just under 96 wins a season, and didn't make the playoffs once.

The Red Sox have always been a pretty good organization, and they've become the best organization in the majors within the past 5 seasons. Having money as they do (though they do their best to stay under the luxury tax cap) doesn't hurt.

Agreed.

The White Sox are definitely close to the Top 10 now (8-12?), where we were perenially in the 20-25 spot until 2005 changed things quite a bit.

It used to be the Braves for many years...in terms of ROI and cost/benefit of the way they run their organization and were so consistent in making the playoffs but just coming up a player or two short because of budgetary constraints after Turner let go of the reins.

The Rays are also up-and-coming but having success in that demolition derby division is super hard and even harder to sustain at those attendance levels and minimized revenue generating streams.

Edited by caulfield12

My grandpa said he used to have plantar fascitis and that it's a pain but that it does go away if treated properly and doesn't come back. I don't think that this should be a recurring problem for Carlos, but I do think that if he does come back this year it should be in the last month and a half or so to give us that extra push if we need it.