GameThread: White Sox(62-59) vs Orioles(49-72) 7:11pm CSN/WSCR

Kyyle23

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 09:10 PM)
The Tigers schedule isn't exactly easy next week either.

They dont drop their drawers to crappy teams like we do. We specialize in making horrible pitchers look great. Example A is tonight. Guthrie is going to bookend 5 Ls with 2 awesome starts against our team. This is a guy who pounds the zone with fastballs. There is no reason we dont rock him.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Wise Master Buehrle @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 10:10 PM)
True, but honestly how many times have you heard Hawk say "We had our chances in this game"... It's getting to be mighty disturbing how many innings we start off so well and then peter out almost immediately after it looks like we could finally score.

Agreed. I truly would be for turning this team over, starting with getting rid of all the old guys, but Buehrle really, like someone said before.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 09:11 PM)
Jeff Cox is like the crazy uncle or the Randy Quaid character from "Vacation."

He's not funny anymore...let him do some community relations work with Melton and Skowron, just keep him away from the 3B coaching box.

I wouldn't mind replacing Cox, Baines and Walker, but I can't be confident any of those 3 things will happen.

How do you feel about the number 0?

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 07:12 PM)
I don't know. It might have been nice to have the guy who's hitting the s*** out of the ball in the game tonight. What's the fella's name? Oh, yeah, Quentin.

Giving Quentin an extra day off is not something anyone can reasonably complain about given his situation this year, I'm sorry.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 08:02 PM)
Or guys getting picked off in scoring position.

True, but you have to get on base to get picked off and I'm not worried about any of the others doing much of that at this point.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Aug 22, 2009 -> 03:12 AM)
I don't know. It might have been nice to have the guy who's hitting the s*** out of the ball in the game tonight. What's the fella's name? Oh, yeah, Quentin.

You mean the same guy who destroyed Guthrie last year?

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 09:10 PM)
The Tigers schedule isn't exactly easy next week either.

Time to be rescued by a GIO shutout?

Oops....Tigers already leading 1-0.

Consistency-wise, Jackson, Verlander and Porcello have been very calming to that rotation. The Tigers could do some damage in the playoffs too if their hitters (like Inge and Granderson, they have Huff now too) all got hot together like we did in 2005.

Nice play by Beckham that he usually doesn't make, but it doesn't really matter at this point in the game...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 09:14 PM)
I guess Thornton's a LOOGY now.

Thornton should be our 8th inning guy. Yet our manager thinks for some reason because he is a lefty, he can only face lefty batters. Meanwhile can march a parade of fail out of the bullpen, but at least they have a right dominant hand.

playing a 49-72 team with a 5.4 ERA guy on the hill, at home, with by far our best home park pitcher, and we get embarrassed, offensively at least.

teams like this don't win divisions, and if by some miracle DET totally folds to allow our .500 play to eek a playoff spot, this heartless group is an easy 1st round exit

for those of us out of town watching the game on gamecast, and seeing "insert player name grounds out shortstop, pops out to second base, etc" with runners in position, inning after inning, game after game, it becomes factually clear what this group is made of.

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 09:16 PM)
playing a 49-72 team with a 5.4 ERA guy on the hill, at home, with by far our best home park pitcher, and we get embarrassed, offensively at least.

teams like this don't win divisions, and if by some miracle DET totally folds to allow our .500 play to eek a playoff spot, this heartless group is an easy 1st round exit

This has been an issue for several years. For a high character group (and it is), this sure is a low character group.

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 09:16 PM)

for those of us out of town watching the game on gamecast, and seeing "insert player name grounds out shortstop, pops out to second base, etc" with runners in position, inning after inning, game after game, it becomes factually clear what this group is made of.

Well...except for King Felix pitching, it certainly LOOKED like SEA should have easily lost those other 2 games in the DET series and they REALLY should have SWEPT the Tigers....easily.

I've given up looking at match-ups, like when you think Contreras will finally get released, he pitches a masterful game.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 08:14 PM)
This Game is Ova.

f***ing terrible game, need to pray Detroit loses.

you know what, fk that, I'm tired of praying they lose to allow this pathetic group to get a playoff spot they didn't earn. I say let DET win the games they should and make the Sox earn the division, if they fall short they don't deserve it, no 500 team should be representing a division in the playoff

Konerko has returned to "pseudo-goat" status this season after having a very nice and consistent first three months in 2009.

He's way way overpaid for the production we're getting out of him now. I'm now wishing we kept Allen and ditched Konerko and just really started over instead of holding onto the past...same thing we did with Carlos Lee, Valentin, Ordonez and Thomas for a bit too long, until we made the right decisions with them for the future of the organization.

Amen, brother.

I don't get mad anymore. My expectations have changed. We don't have "it." If we somehow totally transform into some amazing juggernaut team the final six weeks, great. I haven't given up, but c'mon. We just don't have it this year.

And yes I will cheer like mad if we find "it" somehow. I'm just not sweating it any more to where I get upset.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
Konerko has returned to "pseudo-goat" status this season after having a very nice and consistent first three months in 2009.

He's way way overpaid for the production we're getting out of him now. I'm now wishing we kept Allen and ditched Konerko and just really started over instead of holding onto the past...same thing we did with Carlos Lee, Valentin, Ordonez and Thomas for a bit too long, until we made the right decisions with them for the future of the organization.

What exactly do you think we could have done with Konerko? Who was going to take on his salary?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2009 -> 02:23 AM)
Amen, brother.

I don't get mad anymore. My expectations have changed. We don't have "it." If we somehow totally transform into some amazing juggernaut team the final six weeks, great. I haven't given up, but c'mon. We just don't have it this year.

And yes I will cheer like mad if we find "it" somehow. I'm just not sweating it any more to where I get upset.

Good post