Joe Crede Possibly Retiring

Quin

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)
We need to retire his number, honestly.

If what Joe Crede has done has deserved a number retire, then so do these guys.

JD, Ventura, Black Jack, Pods, AJ, etc.

I think on the current team, only Paulie and Buehrle (and Ozzie as manager) should have their numbers retired.

Paulie is our captain, and one of the top 3 (Baines, Thomas) hitters in Sox history.

Buehrle is porbably the best or second (Pierce) best Sox pitcher in history

Ozzie got us a world series.

Crede was a nice piece for a few years.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 01:04 AM)
If what Joe Crede has done has deserved a number retire, then so do these guys.

JD, Ventura, Black Jack, Pods, AJ, etc.

I think on the current team, only Paulie and Buehrle (and Ozzie as manager) should have their numbers retired.

Paulie is our captain, and one of the top 3 (Baines, Thomas) hitters in Sox history.

Buehrle is porbably the best or second (Pierce) best Sox pitcher in history

Ozzie got us a world series.

Crede was a nice piece for a few years.

Agreed. The whole 2005 roster as a matter of fact.

He can be my hitting coach any day. I remember back in his short "prime" he used to be the king of the base hit up the middle...especially in an 0-2 or 1-2 count. The thing that drives me nuts about the Sox is home run swings, but Crede knew how to cut down and protect. It'd be nice if he could teach that to our guys.

But, if he does retire, it will be to spend time with his family. Come back to the south side in a few years when you really start missing the game, Joe!

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 08:38 PM)
He can be my hitting coach any day. I remember back in his short "prime" he used to be the king of the base hit up the middle...especially in an 0-2 or 1-2 count. The thing that drives me nuts about the Sox is home run swings, but Crede knew how to cut down and protect. It'd be nice if he could teach that to our guys.

But, if he does retire, it will be to spend time with his family. Come back to the south side in a few years when you really start missing the game, Joe!

That's some selective memory there! Crede had some great moments with the Sox, but he wasn't a very good hitter for most of his career. Plus, he was the embodiment of the "lift and pull" that people claim the current team has too much of!

Having said that, I love Joe Crede, and I'm very sad that injuries cut short a promising career for a player that I enjoyed watching play.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
No one would be willing to find any, even a part time DH spot?

It isnt that there arent teams willing to take a chance on Crede, it is the fact that he has had like 2 epidurals a year for the past 3 years to alleviate pain in his back. That back is never going to get better with Crede pounding on it like he does making the plays he makes.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 10:40 PM)
That's an incredibly weak DH. All of his value comes from his ability to play an above average thirdbase.

Understood, but you could do worse, teams have done worse. Just in the past two years Oakland took an oft injured Thomas back, and paid a juiced out Giambi. They hit for power, but under the circumstances they were signed, it was going to be a surprise if they produced.

He was so clutch down the line in 2005. I hope he gives it every shot he has left before retiring and can walk away knowing he gave it his best. At his prime, I'd place him with Robin as the best 3rd baseman in my time as a fan.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 09:13 AM)
Understood, but you could do worse, teams have done worse. Just in the past two years Oakland took an oft injured Thomas back, and paid a juiced out Giambi. They hit for power, but under the circumstances they were signed, it was going to be a surprise if they produced.

It's semantics really but Jason Giambi was actually their starting 1B with Jack Cust taking the everyday DH duties and I don't think there's much of an argument to be made that Joe Crede is more valuable at the plate than Cust. Sure you could do worse than Crede if you're totally incompetent (Bavasi, Vidro) but you also should be able to do a whole lot better without really even trying. A league average DH has a .340 OBP and .790 OPS this season.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 09:51 AM)
He was so clutch down the line in 2005. I hope he gives it every shot he has left before retiring and can walk away knowing he gave it his best. At his prime, I'd place him with Robin as the best 3rd baseman in my time as a fan.

That's not a very good statement about the 3rd basemen we've had in your time as a fan (and I know you have been a Sox fan for quite a while).

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 01:21 PM)
That's not a very good statement about the 3rd basemen we've had in your time as a fan (and I know you have been a Sox fan for quite a while).

It's definitely an indictment on the team's inability to fill the 3B position with a competent everyday player.

Playing for the Sox from 1965 to 2009, played 70% of games at 3B, requiring at least 100 G, sorted by greatest OPS+: (100 = league average)

OPS+  GAMES

1. 117 1254 Robin Ventura

2. 115 976 Bill Melton

3. 114 329 Eric Solderholm

4. 101 201 Herbert Perry

5. 93 798 Joe Crede

6. 90 410 Vance Law

7. 85 196 Josh Fields

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 01:38 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=1999773:date=Aug 30, 2009 -> 01:21 PM:name=whitesoxfan101)-->
QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 01:21 PM)
<!--quotec-->That's not a very good statement about the 3rd basemen we've had in your time as a fan (and I know you have been a Sox fan for quite a while).

It's definitely an indictment on the team's inability to fill the 3B position with a competent everyday player.

Playing for the Sox from 1965 to 2009, played 70% of games at 3B, requiring at least 100 G, sorted by greatest OPS+: (100 = league average)

OPS+  GAMES

1. 117 1254 Robin Ventura

2. 115 976 Bill Melton

3. 114 329 Eric Solderholm

4. 101 201 Herbert Perry

5. 93 798 Joe Crede

6. 90 410 Vance Law

7. 85 196 Josh Fields

Wow, I'd imagine that has to be among the worst in baseball in that timespan (although a lot of new teams have been added since 1965, but you get my point).

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
Wow, I'd imagine that has to be among the worst in baseball in that timespan (although a lot of new teams have been added since 1965, but you get my point).

4 guys who were average or better? That doesn't seem terrible to me. That seems about average.