My surprise player to be dealt

Lemon_44

I think KW will dangle Mark Buehrle this off season and see if he can net a big time player in a deal for him. The rotation could still be pretty nice with Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Garcia, and Hudson. There are alot of NL teams(i don't think KW would deal him to an AL team) that seem to be perfect fits for MB and the Sox could land a key everyday player in return. The teams that jump out to me that would covet a guy like MB and could afford him are the Dodgers, Cardinals, Mets, Braves,Astros,and Brewers. I'm not saying MB could net any of these guys straight up but he could definitely make them more attainable in a mutli-player trade.They all have young players that are extremely productive:

Dodgers-Kemp

Mets-David Wright,Felix Martinez(KW seems to covet him). A sick stat:the Mets HR leader,Murphy, this year has 11.

Cardinals-Rasmus, Ludwick

Braves-Escobar

Astros-Pence

Brewers-Fielder, Braun,Hart, Hardy

I'm not up on other teams farm systems so i don't know what kind of prospects they have. The one AL team that i could see KW dealing with is Tampa. Could MB and Jenks get a Carl Crawford/Upton?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 06:23 AM)
I think KW will dangle Mark Buehrle this off season and see if he can net a big time player in a deal for him. The rotation could still be pretty nice with Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Garcia, and Hudson. There are alot of NL teams(i don't think KW would deal him to an AL team) that seem to be perfect fits for MB and the Sox could land a key everyday player in return. The teams that jump out to me that would covet a guy like MB and could afford him are the Dodgers, Cardinals, Mets, Braves,Astros,and Brewers. I'm not saying MB could net any of these guys straight up but he could definitely make them more attainable in a mutli-player trade.They all have young players that are extremely productive:

Dodgers-Kemp

Mets-David Wright,Felix Martinez(KW seems to covet him). A sick stat:the Mets HR leader,Murphy, this year has 11.

Cardinals-Rasmus, Ludwick

Braves-Escobar

Astros-Pence

Brewers-Fielder, Braun,Hart, Hardy

I'm not up on other teams farm systems so i don't know what kind of prospects they have. The one AL team that i could see KW dealing with is Tampa. Could MB and Jenks get a Carl Crawford/Upton?

I think you are greatly overrating MB, especially since hes a 30-something pitcher making $12 million.

The Mets are not trading David Wright.

The Brewers want to trade Fielder cause he will cost too much, why would they add the $12 milion contract for an older pitcher.

Ryan Braun??? Trading him would get a GM fired immediately, his contract extension was like 8 years, 45 mil.

Doesn't MB have a no-trade clause as it is???

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 08:55 AM)
Buehrle kind of exploded after his perfect game. I don't recall many (if any) dominating games since then. What the hell happened?

His career ERA & WHIP are 3.81 & 1.27

This season he is at 3.95 & 1.27.

I would say he just regressed back to his career norms, although his ERA is just a bit higher than normal

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 08:55 AM)
Buehrle kind of exploded after his perfect game. I don't recall many (if any) dominating games since then. What the hell happened?

He didn't get any help from the lineup either.

He isn't going anywhere unless you get a player like Pujols or Mauer.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 10:01 AM)
Buerhle's trade value is pretty minimal. Certainly no where close to enough to bring back a cheap young stud. He wouldn't command $15 million / year on the open market, and that's what a new club would have to pay him.

He might get even more than $15. Not every owner or fan thinks using the "Sox wallet" as a measurement of a player's value.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 10:01 AM)
Starting pitchiong will be our strength next year. I don't see any of the top 4 being dealt and I would guess Freddie Garcia will be back. Now saying that anything can happen for sure.

The 5th starter will be a big ? despite Freddy's performances. Get rid of MB and you create another hole. When you have to go outside the organization pitching and even medicore pitching get's expensive. Just wait and see how much money Rich Hardin get's this off season.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
My surprise player is Konerko. I dont know that he quit, I just think that its time to cut the cord.

Yeah, I don't think he will, but I wouldn't be shocked if he is. I can see a NL team giving up an OK package for him if after FA they end up a bat short.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 05:02 AM)
I don't think Buehrle will get traded. He's still a productive starter and I think his contract would make a new team take 2 yrs/$30 mil.

If I had one surprise traded player, I'd go with Alexei Ramirez.

I agree with this. Mark's an important piece of this franchise and dealing him with two years left on his deal seems unlikely (especially when he's still pretty good).

Up until yesterday, I'd say that Jenks was the most likely to be dealt. Now it's probably Alexei (although I don't think that he goes anywhere).

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
My surprise player is Konerko. I dont know that he quit, I just think that its time to cut the cord.

Seriously? He had a great comeback year, has put up a .283/.354/.503/.857 line, .311/.393/.516/.909 w/ RISP, will finish around 30 HR, and is finishing nicely with a .973 OPS in September. And, especially with Thome gone and Dye probably gone, he's one of only two guys in the lineup capable of hitting 30 HR, probably. And there is no good 1B option behind him for 2010 in the system. Yes, that all makes his trade value high, but he's also very hard to replace, and his numbers indicate he not only didn't quit, but has been producing even better as the team faltered.

ETA: I am not saying he won't be traded, just that I disagree strongly on any idea that now is the time to sever ties with him.

I think Buehrle's value to this franchise and KWs plan greatly outweighs Konerko's value, Konerkos 1 year(remaining on his) contract holds value to a team that would like to make a run next year. I could see Konerko going somewhere like Arizona, San Fran or even the Angels(they could move Morales to DH or DH Konerko if Vlad leaves)

But, a surprise player being dealt is just that, a surprise. KW almost always surprises us, so i am probably way off

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
Seriously? He had a great comeback year, has put up a .283/.354/.503/.857 line, .311/.393/.516/.909 w/ RISP, will finish around 30 HR, and is finishing nicely with a .973 OPS in September. And, especially with Thome gone and Dye probably gone, he's one of only two guys in the lineup capable of hitting 30 HR, probably. And there is no good 1B option behind him for 2010 in the system. Yes, that all makes his trade value high, but he's also very hard to replace, and his numbers indicate he not only didn't quit, but has been producing even better as the team faltered.

ETA: I am not saying he won't be traded, just that I disagree strongly on any idea that now is the time to sever ties with him.

Like I said, I dont knwo that he quit, and I dont feel that he did. I just think his plodding style has finally moved KW to a point that he would like to replace him. I certainly wouldnt mind Kotsay at 1B, I think that would be a great replacement

Edited by KyYlE23

And there's no way MB is dealt except for a huge package that any GM would be a fool to offer. If there's anything Kenny knows, it's that 2005 was won based on pitching. Yeah, there's a hole at #5, but Freddy or Hudson or a FA could take that spot easily.

Konerko would be a surprise, but not a Brandon McCarthy level surprise (look how that worked out, though).