• AJ
    • Pods
    • Kong
    • Beckham
    • Buehrle
    • Danks
    • Jenks
    • Thornton
    • And by valuable, you mean sucked the least?
    • Carrasco

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 04:20 PM)
So? No one said Pods was a top 20 player in the game or anything. The blind hate just doesn't make sense, when it could better be aimed at Alexei Ramirez, or Jermaine Dye, or Carlos Quentin. All whom seem to get a free pass.

I dont see much blind hate, I think most people here are recognizing Pods as a team MVP (which is saying alot about hte team) and are saying good job for the quality of his ABs this year (Ive said that twice in this thread).

But to disregard the rest of my earlier post is unfair, thats where I made my argument that Pods, as good as he was at the plate, is still a below average starter and shouldnt be counted on next year. Whats the big deal with that?

Those guys are given free passes in the discussion for team MVP, fair enough?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 04:53 PM)
Thank you to whomever corrected the spelling gaffs.

I made 'em and I fixed the one I saw, somebody else must have fixed any others. Damn, I could I misspell Buehrle? It is even saved in my spell check correctly. :o

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
You mean the guy we signed to a one-year deal was our best outfielder this year despite all his faults?

If he/she truly believes that Podsednik's awful baserunning is a product of his "aggressiveness" or that he's not a bad defensive player because he only made 2 errors then there's some sort of vision problem at play here.

If he/she truly believes that Podsednik's awful baserunning is a product of his "aggressiveness" or that he's not a bad defensive player because he only made 2 errors then there's some sort of vision problem at play here.

When you factor scrap and grind into the equation, he is easily one of the greatest players ever.

I think guys like Wise, Fields, Lillibridge were the Sox MVPs this year. Some guys played well, but what does that matter when you aren't even a .500 team? Wise et al, I think humbled KW. KW was humbled in 2007 and did something about it in 2008. Then his held swelled again and he thought garbage like the 3 mentioned actually were major league contributors let alone major league ballplayers. I think he's going to have a much better offseason and there should be some optimism on opening day. BTW, anyone catch the little blurb in the Sun Times written by Bill Zwecker saying KW and Marion Brooks are a couple? Nice job KW.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 07:26 PM)
What Rosenbloom says about Pods is pretty good IMO

Scott Podsednik - What does it say when a guy who’s bad on defense and worse as a baserunner considering his speed is the best this team can do at leadoff? . . .

The thing that bothers me the most is the lowered expectations of the fan base, personally I hold the front office to a higher standard. No one should be content with this guy as their leadoff hitter - especially at age 34 - but years of lowered expectations have people accepting less than they should.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)
The thing that bothers me the most is the lowered expectations of the fan base, personally I hold the front office to a higher standard. No one should be content with this guy as their leadoff hitter - especially at age 34 - but years of lowered expectations have people accepting less than they should.

I still think Beckham makes a meanass leadoff hitter.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)

You can hold the front office to whatever standard you want. But you deciding to be stubborn about it means what in the end? You and Tony get to spend all your days griping about Podsednik sucking over cold beers?

Given that we have one of the most active FO's in baseball, don't you think it is incredibly likely that there just aren't many decent leadoff men available? Don't you think all the very smart people in our FO have thought what you have as well? I guess there is a possibility that acquiring a leadoff man is just Kenny's "blind spot," and he just can't seem to get this one thing right, but given all the trades he has made, all the signing he has attempted to make, I just have a hard time believing that he hasn't realized this team hasn't had a good leadoff hitter for a long time.

The organization has taken actions to try and correct the problem (the draft), and undoubtedly will look into signing Mr. Figgins this offseason, but have you ever stopped to think that maybe the cost is just too great? Would you feel better if we had the best leadoff hitter since Ricky Henderson but at the cost of several other positions or areas of need?

Despite all the shortcomings Podsednik has, his production versus his pay was probably one of the better deals in baseball this season. We did not lose anything this season because of Scott Podsednik. And once again, despite all the fun you guys like to have with the organization's references to "grinders," at least I could tell at the end of the season that this guy was still giving it everything he had. That's a lot more than I can say for most of the rest of these guys.