White Sox talk new deal with Scott Podsednik's agent

kitekrazy

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:59 PM)
If it's a 1 year deal and doesn't preclude us from continuing to look for better options, I'm all for it. If it's a deal longer than 1 year and/or means will won't look for more help at the 2nd COF spot, i'm not all for it.

Pretty sure it would fall into that first category...

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:13 PM)
Depends on the dollar amount, anything more than about 3 or 4 million on a short-term deal and I won't like it. I don't mind him being on the team at all though.

I think that's a pretty generous amount. I was thinking more along the lines of a 1M- one year with an option. Who knows. I gotta tell ya though...he may very well be worth a 3M- 2 year. I saw him a lot in ST this march and he looked pretty damned good then...probably the best I'd seen him since '05. Three years is out of the question no doubt...but 1 with an option wouldn't bother me at all for reasonable money...and I think at this point in his career 1 or 2M a year with an option wouldn't be bad.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:13 PM)
Depends on the dollar amount, anything more than about 3 or 4 million on a short-term deal and I won't like it. I don't mind him being on the team at all though.

Hah...I doubt that is how they approached the deal with Podsednik's agent...

"Well, we don't mind him being on the team at all. But nothing more than $3 or 4 million..." :)

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:20 PM)
I think that's a pretty generous amount. I was thinking more along the lines of a 1M- one year with an option. Who knows. I gotta tell ya though...he may very well be worth a 3M- 2 year. I saw him a lot in ST this march and he looked pretty damned good then...probably the best I'd seen him since '05. Three years is out of the question no doubt...but 1 with an option wouldn't bother me at all for reasonable money...and I think at this point in his career 1 or 2M a year with an option wouldn't be bad.

He's going to be looking at well more than 1 to 2 million. If we offer him 1/$1m with an option year they will laugh and walk into free agency. The fact that they approached him now, unless they are just going through the motions, shows they expect him to get much more than $1-2 million. My guess is it would be difficult to walk away from a 1/$5 million offer though...even though he is going to want 2 or 3 years at that number...

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)
If Scott is patient, somebody will lose a guy they want, panic, and offer him two years. I'm just hoping we're not that team.

Agreed. One of the failed Figgins suitors will panic and pay Scottie if we don't sign him first...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 11:21 PM)
Hah...I doubt that is how they approached the deal with Podsednik's agent...

"Well, we don't mind him being on the team at all. But nothing more than $3 or 4 million..." :)

They should do this just for lolz.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 08:13 PM)

When we offered Pods arbitration after 2006, he signed for $2.9 million, and people said it was some of the worst money we'd spent.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:44 PM)
My view on Podsednik coming back will be dependent on what other moves Williams makes this off-season. As much as I don't want Podsednik on this team in 2010, if money is spent elsewhere to fix glaring needs, the Sox should be able to get by with Podsednik for another year.

I can live with this perspective as well.

My feeling is they would like to sign him for another year and get this issue out of the way so they can focus on the bullpen.

As much as people want to talk about Bobby Abreu, what happened with him last year will not happen again this year. He's proven he can still drive in runs and is an on-base machine. I would be shocked if he didn't get $9-10 million next year. Matt Holliday is going to make that as well.

To drastically improve in the OF we're going to have to make a trade, or have someone in our own system come out of nowhere and have a great year, which would obviously be a huge risk coming into next year, as that approach hasn't exactly worked for us in the past.

he had a great year, but his history shows we can't count on a duplicate, a solid one year deal I have zero problem with, anything beyond that is a mistake IMO. I think they should wait until the FA hit the market, let's see what Matsui, Damon, etc.. are asking for before we ink pods

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 11:28 PM)
he had a great year, but his history shows we can't count on a duplicate, a solid one year deal I have zero problem with, anything beyond that is a mistake IMO. I think they should wait until the FA hit the market, let's see what Matsui, Damon, etc.. are asking for before we ink pods

Pods put up great stats. I think he is by far our best hitter; seems like that dude just knows how to take what the pitcher gives him and get a hit. No? Beckham and AJ seem to have this ability as well.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 11:49 PM)
Pods put up great stats. I think he is by far our best hitter; seems like that dude just knows how to take what the pitcher gives him and get a hit. No? Beckham and AJ seem to have this ability as well.

Pods by far our best hitter? :unsure: You can't be serious can you? Gordon Beckham was a better hitter as a rookie than Pods in basically a career year for him. The 3 previous years to this one Pod was a horrible hitter and even this year he was about average for an AL leadoff man. Pods was one of our best hitters this year but that was a tallest midget contest. Historically Pods ranks behind Konerko, Rios, AJ, Beckham, Quentin. Pods has been a bad hitter more often than not in his career but had a decent year at the plate this and did everything else really poorly.

Pods is looking for a decent payday and probably multiple years. I don't mind that the Sox kick the tires on a new contract and if Pods is willing to come back here for reserve OF money, bring him back. If he wants starter money for multiple years, say good bye. His fielding and baserunning are only going to get worse and chances of him duplicating his offense from 2009 are very slim. I want the White Sox to quit "settling" for guys with low baseball IQs, which Pods has. I understand you can't have a roster full of guys who really know what they are doing, but finding a leadoff man, if its someone new or even a guy like Beckham who just knows what he is doing at all times on a baseball field, is imperative. Bringing back essentially the same cast that led to 2009s dissappointing end will not produce an exciting 2010. I expect a lot of changes. Giving Pods some decent money, or at least money that guys at least used to get when they put up his 2009 numbers, is a mistake. A big mistake.

Coco Crisp will probably be out there cheap. That's one guy I would look at. If he's healthy, I think he would be an excellent fit, plus you don't have to worry every time a ball is hit in his direction.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)
Pods is looking for a decent payday and probably multiple years. I don't mind that the Sox kick the tires on a new contract and if Pods is willing to come back here for reserve OF money, bring him back. If he wants starter money for multiple years, say good bye. His fielding and baserunning are only going to get worse and chances of him duplicating his offense from 2009 are very slim. I want the White Sox to quit "settling" for guys with low baseball IQs, which Pods has. I understand you can't have a roster full of guys who really know what they are doing, but finding a leadoff man, if its someone new or even a guy like Beckham who just knows what he is doing at all times on a baseball field, is imperative. Bringing back essentially the same cast that led to 2009s dissappointing end will not produce an exciting 2010. I expect a lot of changes. Giving Pods some decent money, or at least money that guys at least used to get when they put up his 2009 numbers, is a mistake. A big mistake.

Coco Crisp will probably be out there cheap. That's one guy I would look at. If he's healthy, I think he would be an excellent fit, plus you don't have to worry every time a ball is hit in his direction.

I too expect a lot of changes. Tinkering around with a mediocre team won't make the sox contenders. Guys with value will have to be traded for the sox to make any kind of improvement. Alexei comes to mind first.

I wouldn't mind paying Pods $5 mill. for one year with a 2nd yr team option/ buyout clause to be the regular DH and playing some LF. I just don't want him in the OF fulltime or stealing bases. Just get on base and hit in the lead off spot. I don't see better options out there for the sox that make sense hitting #1.

I agree on Crisp. His defense in LF and CF would be welcome. He should come cheap. The only question is how the shoulder injury will affect him. At least it's not a leg injury that would negate his plus defense.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:03 PM)
This sounds like insurance in case Rios Getz tanks hard.

The only thing that Pods brings to the table is enough speed and a high enough OBP to lead off. Even if Rios hits .220, he'll still be playing CF.

Maybe Abreu, Pods, CQ, and Rios rotating OF/DH duties? I am all for this if it is indeed Abreu or somebody better; nobody worse than Abreu though is key for me.

Given how happy Abreu reportedly is in Anaheim and how happy they've been with him, I'd sa that he's a long shot to sign with the Sox.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 05:06 AM)
I wouldn't mind paying Pods $5 mill. for one year with a 2nd yr team option/ buyout clause to be the regular DH and playing some LF. I just don't want him in the OF fulltime or stealing bases. Just get on base and hit in the lead off spot. I don't see better options out there for the sox that make sense hitting #1.

There's no freaking way that I pay Pods that much. Especially with the need for another high OPS bat in the middle of the lineup and our bullpen in relatively bad shape. I'd rather use that money to over-pay Abreu or over-pay Bobby for one more year. I'd much rather give Getz a shot at leading off (at least he doesn't get picked off or thrown out 1/3 of the time) and play Kotsay or Nix in LF.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)
There's no freaking way that I pay Pods that much. Especially with the need for another high OPS bat in the middle of the lineup and our bullpen in relatively bad shape. I'd rather use that money to over-pay Abreu or over-pay Bobby for one more year. I'd much rather give Getz a shot at leading off (at least he doesn't get picked off or thrown out 1/3 of the time) and play Kotsay or Nix in LF.

Pods should be able to get a $5 mill. type deal this offseason, from some team. IMO, that's worth it for the Sox if he can duplicate his 2009 offense. If the sox play him mostly at DH, and only let him steal bases when he's given the steal sign, then he's more likely to stay healthy for the entire season and not kill them on the bases. Pods' production would be hard to replace. And from Ozzie's comments, wants the sox to strike a deal with Pods if at all possible. Ozzie was very critical of Pods early in the season about him on the bases. But that seems like water under the bridge by his latest comments.

I've always liked Getz. But I don't think he's ready to take over full time hitting #1. If you hit Getz at the bottom of the order, ala what the Angels do with Aybar and Izturis, it's like having two leadoff men. There aren't really a lot of options for the sox with OF guys and hitting leadoff. I like Coco Crisp. But he wouldn't hit leadoff. If Crisp is healthy, though, having him hit #8, 9, would make for a strong bottom of the order [though both Getz and Crisp could hit either leadoff or in the #2 spot with improvements].

On offense, it was the middle of the lineup that killed the sox. Quentin, IMO, is the key to the 2010 Sox.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
Pods should be able to get a $5 mill. type deal this offseason, from some team. IMO, that's worth it for the Sox if he can duplicate his 2009 offense. If the sox play him mostly at DH, and only let him steal bases when he's given the steal sign, then he's more likely to stay healthy for the entire season and not kill them on the bases.

IF Pods can stay healthy for an entire season and put up an OBP of .350 again, I agree that he'd be worth $5M. But I doubt that both of those things are going to happen.

I've always liked Getz. But I don't think he's ready to take over full time hitting #1. If you hit Getz at the bottom of the order, ala what the Angels do with Aybar and Izturis, it's like having two leadoff men. There aren't really a lot of options for the sox with OF guys and hitting leadoff. I like Coco Crisp. But he wouldn't hit leadoff. If Crisp is healthy, though, having him hit #8, 9, would make for a strong bottom of the order [though both Getz and Crisp could hit either leadoff or in the #2 spot with improvements].

I agree about Getz. Giving him another year to develop a the #9 spot would be idea. But, man, if I have an extra $5M sitting around, it's going to Jenks or Abreu first. Another option would be trying to trade for Crawford, but I'm sure that TB would want Hudson or Flowers, so that's probably not going to happen.

As it stands right now, the Sox already have $71M committed to salary next year, and that doesn't include the one-year deals that will have to be doled out to Danks, Quentin, and (possibly) Jenks. Given that, the massive hole in the middle of the lineup, and the money that will have to spent to round out the 25-man roster, the Sox would literally need another $100M+ payroll to be able to afford Pods at $5M.