**Official Phillies vs. Yankees Thread**

knightni

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 08:55 AM)
Blah. This is going to be a world series watched in between anything else on TV.

The only reasons to watch might be: can Cliff Lee single-handedly make it a 7 game series instead of a sweep, and will Ozzie wind up getting Fox's broadcast license canceled?

I think the whole post season ticked me off when looking at how the Yankees will only have used 3 starters and then only once would they have pitched on three days rest CC game 4 becasue of the backward ass tv schedule.

This postseason has almost made me not like baseball. I am tired of the Red Sox and Yankees and even the Angels for that matter and the National League is so bad it is pathetic.

Edited by Jenks Heat

I honestly think the Phillies have a decent shot here - at least as much as any other team could have. Their lineup is probably the most potent in the postseason other than the Yankees, and they have the starting pitching to make this happen. Not saying I think the Phillies should be favored, but I do think they have a better chance than anyone the Yankees have faced yet this Postseason.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
I honestly think the Phillies have a decent shot here - at least as much as any other team could have. Their lineup is probably the most potent in the postseason other than the Yankees, and they have the starting pitching to make this happen. Not saying I think the Phillies should be favored, but I do think they have a better chance than anyone the Yankees have faced yet this Postseason.

If Hamels was pitching like he was last year, I'd agree. But as far as I can tell, the Yanks 2 and 3 starters are simply head and shoulders above where the Phillies 2 and 3 starters are. Lee and Captain Cheeseburger is pretty much an even matchup on paper, so the Phils can't exactly expect to sweep the 3 games lee starts, which means to me they're going to need at least 2 wins from Hamels and Martinez, and then Lidge can't blow those wins on top of it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 05:51 PM)
If Hamels was pitching like he was last year, I'd agree. But as far as I can tell, the Yanks 2 and 3 starters are simply head and shoulders above where the Phillies 2 and 3 starters are. Lee and Captain Cheeseburger is pretty much an even matchup on paper, so the Phils can't exactly expect to sweep the 3 games lee starts, which means to me they're going to need at least 2 wins from Hamels and Martinez, and then Lidge can't blow those wins on top of it.

I really don't find Burnett to be head and shoulders above anyone, let alone Hamels. I know Hamels has struggled, but I think facing the different league might help him out more than most other pitchers. We'll see though.

I, for one, am pretty excited about this matchup for the WS.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Oct 26, 2009 -> 04:27 PM)
I think the whole post season ticked me off when looking at how the Yankees will only have used 3 starters and then only once would they have pitched on three days rest CC game 4 becasue of the backward ass tv schedule.

This postseason has almost made me not like baseball. I am tired of the Red Sox and Yankees and even the Angels for that matter and the National League is so bad it is pathetic.

I can honestly say that I've lost interest in the post season as well. For me I think that it is because it has dragged out soooo long. All the wasted time between series, and even between games in the series on occaision. I know it's all about the almighty dollar but jeez. Here it is October 27th and the series hasn't even started yet. The Sox ended theirs on the 26th in 2005 and I thought that was too late.

My thoughts have long gone to other things, baseball ends in mid October in my mind. I'm sure if the "Beloved" were still in it I would be interested, but this is the hot stove season to me. I also just think that the cold weather effects some players more than others so you really don't get the same result as if you played the game in nice weather.

Oh well, JMHO.

Edited by balfanman

The only way the Phils have a shot is if Cliff Lee absolutely carries them and they win all 3 of his starts. Otherwise I think this series goes about 5 games, 6 max and the Yanks take it.

Hammels has been bad, Phillies pen isn't good, and there offense isn't near as potent as the Yankees who have the ace in CC and better secondary starters than the Phils (plus a much better pen).

Like I said above, no way the Phils take this, barring a dominant performance by Cliff Lee.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 10:02 AM)
The only way the Phils have a shot is if Cliff Lee absolutely carries them and they win all 3 of his starts. Otherwise I think this series goes about 5 games, 6 max and the Yanks take it.

Hammels has been bad, Phillies pen isn't good, and there offense isn't near as potent as the Yankees who have the ace in CC and better secondary starters than the Phils (plus a much better pen).

Like I said above, no way the Phils take this, barring a dominant performance by Cliff Lee.

I don't get how you can say the Philly offense is nowhere near as potent and their secondary starters are better.

The Phillies' lineup is really tough top to bottom between Rollins/Victorino/Utley/Howard/Ibanez/Werth, and with Ruiz hitting well, that gives them a top 7 that compares pretty closely to the Yankees' Jeter/Damon/Teix/Arod/Cano/Posada/Matsui.

I know Hamels has not been himself, but he and Pedro match up just fine with Burnett and Petitte.

I really think this series is going to be closer than many think.

The Yankees hold the edge in their bullpen but Joba and Hughes certainly have not been dominant, and Lidge has pitched well for the Phillies.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 09:25 AM)
I don't get how you can say the Philly offense is nowhere near as potent and their secondary starters are better.

The Phillies' lineup is really tough top to bottom between Rollins/Victorino/Utley/Howard/Ibanez/Werth, and with Ruiz hitting well, that gives them a top 7 that compares pretty closely to the Yankees' Jeter/Damon/Teix/Arod/Cano/Posada/Matsui.

I know Hamels has not been himself, but he and Pedro match up just fine with Burnett and Petitte.

I really think this series is going to be closer than many think.

The Yankees hold the edge in their bullpen but Joba and Hughes certainly have not been dominant, and Lidge has pitched well for the Phillies.

I think you are off. Hamels has struggled against the NL as of late and really looks like a shell of the pitcher he was a year ago. I suspect he's fatigued and a little banged up and its hurting his effectiveness. Pedro has pitched good and he's gutsy, but its one thing to do it in the NL, its another to do it against a premiere AL offense.

Burnett and Pettite are much much better at this point (based upon recent performance, etc). Offensively, I think the Phils are solid, but I just think the Yanks are ridiculous.

I think Tex and Arod are better than Utley/Howard. The Yanks really have a ridiculous lineup. Phils have a great line-up too, but I really have to point out how legit the Yanks lineup is and it is also pretty well balances as they have plenty of guys that can hit for avg too and almost everyone on that squad gets on base.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 27, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
I think you are off. Hamels has struggled against the NL as of late and really looks like a shell of the pitcher he was a year ago. I suspect he's fatigued and a little banged up and its hurting his effectiveness. Pedro has pitched good and he's gutsy, but its one thing to do it in the NL, its another to do it against a premiere AL offense.

Burnett and Pettite are much much better at this point (based upon recent performance, etc). Offensively, I think the Phils are solid, but I just think the Yanks are ridiculous.

I think Tex and Arod are better than Utley/Howard. The Yanks really have a ridiculous lineup. Phils have a great line-up too, but I really have to point out how legit the Yanks lineup is and it is also pretty well balances as they have plenty of guys that can hit for avg too and almost everyone on that squad gets on base.

Yeah, I quite possibly could be.

Still not sure how anyone can argue that Burnett and Petitte are much better. The Yankees have faced the Twins and the Angels thus far in the playoffs, and I think the Phillies have a stronger lineup top to bottom than both of them. Heck, I'd argue that the two opponents the Phillies faced in the playoffs have better lineups than those that the Yankees faced.

We'll see though...this is why they play the games.