Hideki Matsui

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)
According to Klapisch's column, Matsui will land with our White Sox.

Doesn't jive with other recent statements, but, it would make sense.

Supposedly most if not all and then some of what Matsui would get in a contract could be covered by money made off his popularity in Japan. Some article in Japan said they Yankees would lose $15 million if they let him go. Plus his agent is Arn Tellum, one of JR's favorites. I don't think it will happen, but it wouldn't shock me.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)
Supposedly most if not all and then some of what Matsui would get in a contract could be covered by money made off his popularity in Japan. Some article in Japan said they Yankees would lose $15 million if they let him go. Plus his agent is Arn Tellum, one of JR's favorites. I don't think it will happen, but it wouldn't shock me.

Supposedly the Yankees don't want him, and they want to free up the DH spot for other players.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 09:00 AM)
He'd have to be one of those guys still available after the first month or so of free agency, and it would have to be a 1 year deal at the White Sox value....

so what you are saying is "it aint happenin"

Matsui is probably going to want more than a 1 year deal

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 10:02 AM)

I don't see why it would have to be a 1 year deal, I'd feel perfectly comfortable offering him 2 years w/ an option for a 3rd.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 09:02 AM)

There's speculation Matsui would play in Japan if he doesn't get a multi-year offer to his liking out here. That makes sense because he's accomplished a lot out here and made a ton of money doing so.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)
There's speculation Matsui would play in Japan if he doesn't get a multi-year offer to his liking out here. That makes sense because he's accomplished a lot out here and made a ton of money doing so.

I thought I read that he said he would not be returning to Japan...

My guess is he ends up in Seattle.

He is a big left handed batter, is younger then Thome, he might be able to play outfield some games, & maybe he can get Ichiro to come here to leadoff. Not sure about the last one & how much money it will take. For Cheap, Matsui could bring more balance to the lineup.

If Matsui is going to be alot of money I would rather have Pods play DH, LF, Kotsay in Leftfield, rotate with DH with Paulie(Kotsay at 1B) , AJP on off days (more off days behind the plate), Quentin (to Keep him fresh). Doing this might help ease Paulie in to being a full-time DH in the Future. My biggest concern in Lead-off hitter & then having a big lefty bat.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 09:02 AM)

It could happen, as others have pointed out this does make baseball sense for the White Sox. I wonder if they need to free up salary though (Jenks) to make a move where they spend significant money. I'm not sure what Matsui would demand, but I'd guess that $5 or $6 million is the starting point. The reason why I think 1 year deal is his age. He's clearly a good player still, but I think the Sox would either want a 1 year deal or some sort of option. on a 2nd season. Either way, I don't see the White Sox jumping in to get him, and guess that they'd rather see the market sort itself out some before they see what bargains/values they may like.

Does anyone have a friend they would change jobs to work with? Anyone they would take their second, third, or fourth place job pick for? Any friend so great they would take a pay cut to work with? How about working with someone because they are also white, Asian, black, etc.? I just never get the "lets get an albino so more albinos will work for us" thinking. When has that ever really happened?

It would be best if the Sox waited to see how the market plays out when it comes to the DH signing. There are a lot of names out there so im sure once january hits and Matsui hasn't signed on with a team he would eventually accept a 2 year deal worth $12 million or so. . should be interesting to see things play out.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)
It would be best if the Sox waited to see how the market plays out when it comes to the DH signing. There are a lot of names out there so im sure once january hits and Matsui hasn't signed on with a team he would eventually accept a 2 year deal worth $12 million or so. . should be interesting to see things play out.

Agreed, though I hope that any deal for an older guy is a 1 year deal with a club option.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 12:55 PM)
Agreed, though I hope that any deal for an older guy is a 1 year deal with a club option.

I agree. However, im guessing in order to sign Matsui- we would have to garuntee 2 years and probably a 3rd year club option.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 10:21 AM)
The fit makes some sense, a left handed DH type I guess. Not really thrilled if it happens, but whatever.

The fit makes perfect sense. We need a left-handed power bat at one of two spots (DH/OF). He should put up a .280/.365/.480 line. IMO, he'd be a fantastic addition as our DH if signed to a reasonable 2 year contract.

Why wouldn't you be thrilled? Who would your prefer?

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)
Does anyone have a friend they would change jobs to work with? Anyone they would take their second, third, or fourth place job pick for? Any friend so great they would take a pay cut to work with? How about working with someone because they are also white, Asian, black, etc.? I just never get the "lets get an albino so more albinos will work for us" thinking. When has that ever really happened?

With the Sox with Contreras and El Duque(and to a later effect, Alexei and Viciedo), it happened. IIRC Iguchi was comfortable coming to the Sox because of Shingo.

Its not a blanket statement, but certain players recently have gone to teams where they feel more comfortable because their countrymen are on that team, and it has happened a few times with the Sox.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 01:52 PM)

I see your point, but it is different when your in a foreign country, and don't speak the language.

And from a baseball standpoint, I'd like this move, if we can afford it.

Edited by MattZakrowski

I dont think it will happen because KW already stated that whoever plays DH for us will someone who can also play the field and be rotated around. Thats why I doubt Thome, Matsui, or Vlad will be on the sox next year.

My prediction CARL EVERETT will be our 2010 DH.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 10:01 AM)
I'd like him fora 2-year deal. Guy is an RBI machine, hits lefthanded and would fit in well in our park. Do it.

Well, when you're a good hitter and spend 7 years hitting in the middle of the Yankees lineup you better put up big RBI numbers (especially when you don't miss a single game for 3 straight seasons.) Take 2003 for example; he hit 5th and 6th that year behind such players as Jason Giambi (.412 OBP), Derek Jeter (.393), Nick Johnson (.422) and Bernie Williams (.367) or 2009 behind Damon (.365), Teixeira (.383) and Rodriguez (.402).

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
Well, when you're a good hitter and spend 7 years hitting in the middle of the Yankees lineup you better put up big RBI numbers (especially when you don't miss a single game for 3 straight seasons.) Take 2003 for example; he hit 5th and 6th that year behind such players as Jason Giambi (.412 OBP), Derek Jeter (.393), Nick Johnson (.422) and Bernie Williams (.367) or 2009 behind Damon (.365), Teixeira (.383) and Rodriguez (.402).

Kal, I know you're just guessing like the rest of us, but what kind of deal do you see Matsui looking for?

My guess is his agent will use Abreu's contract as a starting point (2/$19) and would reasonable accept 2/$15m...