Panic! At the Soxtalk

chisoxfan09

just like Panic! at the disco you guys need to stop being emo, ya i went there. This team is fine! Harold Reynolds who i take as having a good baseball IQ has said with the addition of Juan Pierre we are in the position to win the division, the other guys on MLB TV seemed to agree. The worst player on our team is presumably Andruw whos gonna give us 25-30 HR (well maybe not if hes cycling with kotsay who i think can hit .280 with some decent power).

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)
just like Panic! at the disco you guys need to stop being emo, ya i went there. This team is fine! Harold Reynolds who i take as having a good baseball IQ has said with the addition of Juan Pierre we are in the position to win the division, the other guys on MLB TV seemed to agree. The worst player on our team is presumably Andruw whos gonna give us 25-30 HR (well maybe not if hes cycling with kotsay who i think can hit .280 with some decent power).

I don't want to just win the division. I want to kick the yanks and the red sawks arses and win the World Series. I don't want to win the division just to get pummeled in the playoffs. I see your point though. A power bat would put us that much closer.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)
I don't want to just win the division. I want to kick the yanks and the red sawks arses and win the World Series. I don't want to win the division just to get pummeled in the playoffs. I see your point though. A power bat would put us that much closer.

Its gonna be tough to have an offense as good as the yanks and sawks. I agree the sox would be better with another bat but so would every team not previously mentioned. At the same time a good pitching staff can shut down a good offense so if our staff is clicking then weve got a chance in the post season.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
I'd take Milton Bradley right now if the Cubs eat at least 75% of the contract.

I'm glad people are coming around on this idea. I doubt they'd straight up eat that much, but what about sending them Linebrink?

I think KW is still trying to make the big deal, if he can, but you can never guarantee that. Plan B is probably a rental DH as others have suggested - and if it is Thome, for example, I think that's a not-bad lineup. If you platoon Thome and Jones at DH, 2/3 on Thome, the lineup would be something like:

Pierre

Ramirez

Quentin

Thome/Jones

Konerko

Beckham

Rios

Pierzynski

Teahen

3 through 7 may be in some other order. But that is not a bad lineup. Not great either, but, probably league average overall, with the potential to be more than that. That, combined with the pitching the Sox have, makes the Sox the favorite to win the ALC, in my view (barring some other huge moves elsewhere in the division).

The key though, regardless of what they do for DH, is Rios getting back to being Rios, and Quentin staying healthy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)
I think KW is still trying to make the big deal, if he can, but you can never guarantee that. Plan B is probably a rental DH as others have suggested - and if it is Thome, for example, I think that's a not-bad lineup. If you platoon Thome and Jones at DH, 2/3 on Thome, the lineup would be something like:

Pierre

Ramirez

Quentin

Thome/Jones

Konerko

Beckham

Rios

Pierzynski

Teahen

3 through 7 may be in some other order. But that is not a bad lineup. Not great either, but, probably league average overall, with the potential to be more than that. That, combined with the pitching the Sox have, makes the Sox the favorite to win the ALC, in my view (barring some other huge moves elsewhere in the division).

The key though, regardless of what they do for DH, is Rios getting back to being Rios, and Quentin staying healthy.

I love having beckham lower in the lineup but with what we have i think he fits perfect in the 2 spot. Though i wouldnt be apposed to having AJ in the 2 hole like he was last year(?) and succeeded. Im a bit iffy (but not apposed to it) with ramirez there because he doesnt take a lot of pitches.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 12:58 PM)
Nope. AG upgrades the offense while creating a gaping hole in the rotation.

Well it wouldn't be a gaping hole cause Huddy would step on in. That said I wouldn't be trading Danks either, cause I just don't want to f*** with this rotation, it's too damn good and John is a huge part of that.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)
Well it wouldn't be a gaping hole cause Huddy would step on in. That said I wouldn't be trading Danks either, cause I just don't want to f*** with this rotation, it's too damn good and John is a huge part of that.

I don't know... I think I would pull the trigger. I think Hudson could step in and fill that hole just fine. Now if the Padres were talking about the Danks brothers AND hudson, I would have a problem.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)

You'd be taking a risk of mammoth proportions to trade Danks and assume that Dan Hudson could step right in and effectively fill that void. I sure as hell wouldn't want to take that chance.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
I don't know... I think I would pull the trigger. I think Hudson could step in and fill that hole just fine. Now if the Padres were talking about the Danks brothers AND hudson, I would have a problem.

They could ask all they want. If KW didn't immediately hang the phone up right afterwards he should be canned.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)

At this point in time, this team needs to assemble itself to give themselves best opportunity to win this division. The players they are bringing in do that. They will hit the mediocore pitchers that kill the Sox.

The bigger bat can be had in July.

This rotation, if it performs to its capability, is good enough to carry this team to the World Series.

I am not sure where this site goes from time to time but having bench players that can hit pedestrian pitching is something I like as compared to watching Thome look awful against just about every LHP he faces.

I think the big question right now is whether to give Flowers a DH/C role and pick up a third catcher or get a bigger DH type bat and let Flowers play in the minors. The 2009 Josh Fields campaign probably plays a big role in this. If the bigger bat can not be had, Flowers is your bigger bat .

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 08:20 PM)
At this point in time, this team needs to assemble itself to give themselves best opportunity to win this division. The players they are bringing in do that. They will hit the mediocore pitchers that kill the Sox.

The bigger bat can be had in July.

This rotation, if it performs to its capability, is good enough to carry this team to the World Series.

I am not sure where this site goes from time to time but having bench players that can hit pedestrian pitching is something I like as compared to watching Thome look awful against just about every LHP he faces.

I think the big question right now is whether to give Flowers a DH/C role and pick up a third catcher or get a bigger DH type bat and let Flowers play in the minors. The 2009 Josh Fields campaign probably plays a big role in this. If the bigger bat can not be had, Flowers is your bigger bat .

I'm not sure I follow your logic. You think that our mediocre lineup will do fine against average pitching, so they should wait to acquire a big bat. But if they're doing fine, why would they go after another bat? If they aren't doing ok, wouldn't it have made more sense to get the big bat right away and avoid a long stretch of poor hitting?

And don't players usually cost more in terms of talent mid-season compared to the offseason?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)
If Omar Vizquel serves as a regular DH for this team I'll kill Craig T. Nelson.

Even in the most cartoonish portrayals I have seen of Ozzie in here, that would be utterly pointless, since Vizquel's value is in his defense. That is so not going to happen.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
I'm not sure I follow your logic. You think that our mediocre lineup will do fine against average pitching, so they should wait to acquire a big bat. But if they're doing fine, why would they go after another bat? If they aren't doing ok, wouldn't it have made more sense to get the big bat right away and avoid a long stretch of poor hitting?

And don't players usually cost more in terms of talent mid-season compared to the offseason?

I think you can get an Adam Dunn for less in July then you do now.

I think a bigger bat is needed to win in the playoffs but I think the collection of hitters now will suffice especially in the early part of the year when it is colder and the pitching can carry them. My thinking is that Guillen wants to play the LH/RH odds and you can not do that or he did not to with Jim Thome last year while I think he wants to this year.

I do think that a biggeer bat will be brought it and most of this is KW $0.50 BS.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 08:05 AM)
Because gamesmanship to hide what moves you are working on is different than deceiving people on what money he has. What would KW gain by not spending all of the money at his disposal? Would he purposely not spend money to not field the best team hecan to lose his job? It doesn't make sense to not use all of his resources. Now might JR not give all of the money available to KW? The is possible and probable. JR has responsibilities to other pepople not just the 25 man roster. These include the minor leagues, ballpark employess and the other investors. It just doesn't make sense that KW wouldn't use all of the resources available to him to field the best team he can. You may disagree with how he is doing it but that doesn't mean the resources aren't being expended.

He may do that, as the value of that money doubles come the middle of the season as you'll only have to pay said player for half a season.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 16, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)
If not for 2005, would Ozzie still be our manager?

Makes no difference. Dude managed the Sox to a World Championship, which leads me to believe he can do it again. Unless you can give Whitey Herzog youth pills, I see no proven upgrade that would be available.

Ozzie is a part-time idiot, his mouth isn't always connected to his brain, he is an offensive fool, and he does some strange chit with the lineup...but the dude HATES losing, ALWAYS has his players back (unless he's the one beating on it), and brings personality to a game that is too often vanilla.

Long live Oz!!!!

Have we hit the ceiling in terms of team salary yet? Do we not have enough money left to sign one of the remaining free agent DH types who would easily fill the void we have right now in that part of our batting order? Because obviously Guerrero, Delgado, Johnson, or Thome would be a far better choice to be the DH in our line-up than this absurd Jones/Kotsay/"Vizquel"(!) committee nonsense that is being bandied about right now. It seems like we've hit a payroll limit the way management is acting and talking right now.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
Makes no difference. Dude managed the Sox to a World Championship, which leads me to believe he can do it again. Unless you can give Whitey Herzog youth pills, I see no proven upgrade that would be available.

Ozzie is a part-time idiot, his mouth isn't always connected to his brain, he is an offensive fool, and he does some strange chit with the lineup...but the dude HATES losing, ALWAYS has his players back (unless he's the one beating on it), and brings personality to a game that is too often vanilla.

Long live Oz!!!!

I already admitted that my original post in this thread was knee-jerk. Ozzie can just really get on your nerves at times. I will say this much...2010 should be a put up or shut up type year for him. 2005 was wonderful and will never forget. But we're a Rick Hahn's son coin flip away from missing the playoffs 4 years in a row. With the team we have in place now, even if it's flawed, there's no reason (outside of crippling injuries) that we shouldn't take the central. NONE.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)
I don't want a bench player to necessarily be the DH, but I do want a DH that can play the field and maybe leg out a double. If Q or PK get a sore pinky toe, I want the flexibility to shuffle things and maybe be able to move the DH to 1b or LF. If the mystery DH happens to be the hottest hitter on the team when the Sox play in the NL parks, then Ozzie can find a way to get him in the lineup. I don't want the Sox to have to make the choice to put a limping TCQ in left because they can't afford to lose the bat. Having a DH only is almost like having one less roster spot. Obviously if the DH can hit .280 with 40 HR, that may help make up for it a bit. I doubt the Sox are going to get a pure DH of Frank Thomas in his prime quality this offseason and fit him in the budget.

There is no way a power hitting DH-only guy doesn't upgrade this team in every way. You're going to have a bench player hit DH anyway and sit out in the NL games. Why not make it a good hitter instead of a mediocre one? Is it not better to have a good hitter in that spot for most of your games instead of none of them? Having a bench bat start in your lineup every day is a bad idea no matter HOW you look at it. If Ozzie wants to platoon for matchups, he still can.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)

That's because our division sucks.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
I already admitted that my original post in this thread was knee-jerk. Ozzie can just really get on your nerves at times. I will say this much...2010 should be a put up or shut up type year for him. 2005 was wonderful and will never forget. But we're a Rick Hahn's son coin flip away from missing the playoffs 4 years in a row. With the team we have in place now, even if it's flawed, there's no reason (outside of crippling injuries) that we shouldn't take the central. NONE.

People tend to over-value the contribution of a manager to a team's success. This isn't the NFL, where offensive and defensive schemes make all of the difference. Baseball mangers don't coach, they manage... pitch counts, egos, etc. They fill out the lineup card, sit in the dugout, eat sunflower seeds, pull the starter when he's out of gas, and talk to the media afterwards. If it's a really important game, they might talk to Joe Buck in the 5th inning. Managers are primarily leaders and motivators. A good pitching coach (Don Cooper, Dave Duncan, Mel Stottlemyre, Leo Mazzone) will help a team win a lot more games than a good manager.

If you want to point fingers, point them at the declining, injury-prone veterans who didn't get it done in 2007 and 2009.

Edited by WCSox