2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 11:01 PM)
Geez I don't watch alot of Cub games, but I don't think I've seen their defense this bad all season.

Saw somewhere recently, the Cubs have allowed more unearned runs than all but one other team this year. Their defense has been pretty bad. Castro is going through growing pains, Aramis has always been inconsistent and now the subs over there are worse, the outfield D speaks for itself... Lee is usually decent though, errors on consecutive plays is surprising.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
The s***ty defense has been there with the cubs for years. The pitchers would K a lot of guys and they would hit a ton to cover it up. Also lee is really falling off.

D. Lee has been one of the top fielding 1st basemen in the NL over the last few years, which makes last night even more surprising. He is definitely falling off at the plate, which is weird cause he put up his second highest career OPS last season.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
Something tells me the guy will always be bad at defense.

He's 20. His range is very good.

Range Runs (a component of UZR) has him at 2.7. What makes his UZR mediocre is his Error Runs, which is at -3.5.

It looks like he has trouble with routine plays (zone rating of only .756), but he's made 19 plays out of his zone.

The kid's got talent on defense, he's just clumsy.

Kind of like Alexei.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)

Range Runs (a component of UZR) has him at 2.7. What makes his UZR mediocre is his Error Runs, which is at -3.5.

It looks like he has trouble with routine plays (zone rating of only .756), but he's made 19 plays out of his zone.

Kind of like Alexei.

Alexi isn't clumsy he is lazy.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)

Kind of like Alexei.

He's going to be their 2B anyway. They have an asian SS coming up that is outstanding defensively.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
He's going to be their 2B anyway. They have an asian SS coming up that is outstanding defensively.

How good is Hak Ju Lee at hitting though...?

And how many good Korean hitters are there in baseball?

Oh yeah, none.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
Bob Howry in warm weather at Wrigley is quite fun to watch.

That signing really cracked me up when it happened. Our bullpen isn't the best, so let's sign an old guy who got cut from quite possibly the worst bullpen in MLB history.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 17, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)
How good is Hak Ju Lee at hitting though...?

And how many good Korean hitters are there in baseball?

Oh yeah, none.

So that means that Koreans can't be good at hitting? That makes no sense. Only a handful of Korean position players have ever played in MLB. (If you were joking, then I'll have to fix my humor / sarcasm detector...)

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
So that means that Koreans can't be good at hitting? That makes no sense. Only a handful of Korean position players have ever played in MLB. (If you were joking, then I'll have to fix my humor / sarcasm detector...)

Very few have played because they're usually not all that good, with the exception of Shin Soo Choo.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 07:45 PM)
Very few have played because they're usually not all that good, with the exception of Shin Soo Choo.

That doesn't mean they're all bad. It just seems odd to assume a guy can't hit because he's Korean (or for that matter any race/ethnicity).

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)
That doesn't mean they're all bad. It just seems odd to assume a guy can't hit because he's Korean (or for that matter any race/ethnicity).

Yes, it is wrong to assume that he can't hit, but there's nothing wrong with looking back in history and seeing how other Korean position players have done in the majors before to get an idea.

But I also based this off of what he has. He's a contact hitter with a lot of speed, no power potential.

More likely than not, he won't be better than league average. Even if he is league average, he might be a valuable player due to his defensive potential, being a SS and all.

There's a prospect in the Dodgers system very much like Lee, great defender, good speed, not so great at anything else.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 18, 2010 -> 08:10 PM)
Yes, it is wrong to assume that he can't hit, but there's nothing wrong with looking back in history and seeing how other Korean position players have done in the majors before to get an idea.

You know, we wound up saving a ton of money on Tadahito in 2005 because teams did the same thing with Kaz Matsui.

lol so im watching Married with Children right now and Peg tells Kelly that Al got tickets to the baseball games this season, and Kelly says "puke" and Peg says "I thought you liked the Cubs?" and Kelly says "I do. But I hate the seats on the roof of that apartment where dad gets the tickets from."

And then Peg says "Well maybe one day they'll forget about that fan interference that kept the Cubs from going to the World Series and they'll let us back in the stadium."

And this is from an old episode, one of the first few seasons.. like from the late 80's.. its hilarious that it ended up really happening..

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 16, 2010 -> 09:19 AM)
Saw somewhere recently, the Cubs have allowed more unearned runs than all but one other team this year. Their defense has been pretty bad. Castro is going through growing pains, Aramis has always been inconsistent and now the subs over there are worse, the outfield D speaks for itself... Lee is usually decent though, errors on consecutive plays is surprising.

As of today they've allowed a major league leading 40 unearned runs.