Who pinch runs?

Princess Dye

Depending on what else we do in free agency...and how many pitchers we keep.. it seems like a final roster spot will come down to Nix and Lillibridge.

Lillibridge can play CF, but not 3B. He would hands down be our best pinchrunner in late innings.

Our bench looks much improved, but it definitely isnt speed wise. Nix has versatility and some power...but with Vizquel here isnt he duplicated on the bench?

Cant believe I'm saying it but Lillibridge might make sense as the last guy to make it.

While Nix doesn't have the pure speed that Lillibridge does, I would rather keep Nix and his versatility over Lillibridge. Nix did fine with the Sox in SBs last year and although his minor league totals are much worse than Lillibridge (SB/CS ratio), Nix is superior in all facets of the game excluding speed, which Nix is pretty solid anyway. Lillibridge can pretty much only pinch run while Nix can play almost anywhere and provide some pop occasionally.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 01:10 PM)
While Nix doesn't have the pure speed that Lillibridge does, I would rather keep Nix and his versatility over Lillibridge. Nix did fine with the Sox in SBs last year and although his minor league totals are much worse than Lillibridge (SB/CS ratio), Nix is superior in all facets of the game excluding speed, which Nix is pretty solid anyway. Lillibridge can pretty much only pinch run while Nix can play almost anywhere and provide some pop occasionally.

I'd still take CJ and his catching ability (again, assuming rotating DH stuff) over either.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 11:29 AM)
Well, let's give Tony Pena something to do.

Frankly this is a huge missed opportunity for some reborn Carlos Castillo humor.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 02:28 PM)
I'd still take CJ and his catching ability (again, assuming rotating DH stuff) over either.

Shouldn't he be playing everyday somewhere though? He's always projected to being a utility guy at best, but given his recent offensive upturn maybe we should put that assumption on hold for a least half a year.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 01:10 PM)

What about Lillibridge's usefulness in CF? Although I guess maybe that's covered with Pierre being able to slide over ...and Andruw/Alexei could theoretically be there in an injury situation.

What is Vizquel like at third?

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
Frankly this is a huge missed opportunity for some reborn Carlos Castillo humor.

I am too young to remember Castillo, I only really got interested in baseball in 2000, and just knew the big names of the Sox (Maggs, Frank, Jose, Durham, Belle when he was around)

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
What is Vizquel like at third?

He didn't have any errors there last year in 101 innings and 27 chances.

Not a whole lot to chose from on the pinch running choices. Providing Vizquel and Nix and Kotsay are not in the lineup then it is those three with a pitcher as a last resort. Hopefully we can avoid the base running blunders that have occurred far too often. Smart running doesn't necessarily require tremendous speed. These guys will do if they execute.

To me a solid PR is such a big thing. So many situations throughout the year where you badly need a 9th inning run to get through. Lillibridge would make the shallow fly ball all that much more potent.

Another thing to consider is that Nix probably wont get a lot of spot starts as he'll easily be Omar's inferior defensively. And as far as pinch hitting, while Nix has pop...he'll always be a 2nd or 3rd option as a PH.

Edited by Princess Dye

I don't recall the site nor the metric used, but there's a way of telling how much a player contributes with his baserunning. I believe Omar Vizquel was pretty high on that. I figure he will probably take that over and De Aza may have a few appearances himself if he is called up. Vizquel was obviously brought in for his defense, but Ozzie can pull the old double switch out of his ass to figure that out and have Vizquel end up at either 2B, 3B, or SS come the end of a game (and hopefully that's never 2B).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 08:15 PM)
I don't recall the site nor the metric used, but there's a way of telling how much a player contributes with his baserunning. I believe Omar Vizquel was pretty high on that. I figure he will probably take that over and De Aza may have a few appearances himself if he is called up. Vizquel was obviously brought in for his defense, but Ozzie can pull the old double switch out of his ass to figure that out and have Vizquel end up at either 2B, 3B, or SS come the end of a game (and hopefully that's never 2B).

Not so much.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statisti...x.php?cid=73838