Which team did you have higher expectations for?

Real

Pick a year  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which team did you have higher expectations for?

Just curious what people here think with regards to which Sox team they had higher expectations for, going into the seasons of 2006 and 2010

I have a feeling the majority of people here will initially say 2006 due to the 05 WS, and addition of Thome

However after thinking about it for a while, I'm leaning towards 2010 as I think it should be a better team overall, with better talent in the bullpen, starting lineup, and rotation.

We should also have an overall easier time winning the division as I don't think there will be a 3-team race going into late September

The addition of Peavy, excitement surrounding Gordon Beckham, and having a solid team defense for the first time since 2004-2005 has me pretty anxious

Edited by Real

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 12:06 PM)
2006 without even a second thought. How do you predict that the pitching staff would fall off that badly?

It's not about predicting the staff would fall apart, and you have to admit.. baseball tends to average things out for guys who aren't perennial studs, like Garland and Contreras (and to an extend sweaty freddy...though freddy was pretty good early on in his career)

2006. They were a better team on paper than the team that won the World Series, so obviously most fans thought they'd roll into the playoffs and possibly win another championship.

This year, I have concerns about bullpen health, defense, and we need Quentin and Rios to perform to their capabilities. But if the starting rotation stays healthy the whole season, I expect a division championship, and then who knows in October.

QUOTE (Real @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
It's not about predicting the staff would fall apart, and you have to admit.. baseball tends to average things out for guys who aren't perennial studs, like Garland and Contreras (and to an extend sweaty freddy...though freddy was pretty good early on in his career)

I think Garland is really the only one that applies for. Garcia was around his career averages at the time in 05 and Contreras was becoming a stud until he got injured.

To answer the question though, definitely 06. I love our starting staff but as has been said, the 06 team on paper was better than the team that just ran through the playoffs, the previous October.

Acquiring Vaszquez to be out fifth starter, trading for Thome, and Anderson getting two hits on opening night that were just bullets, beating the Cardinals 20-1 in June and in first place thought a playoff spot was guaranteed. Don't get me wrong, have high hopes for this year as well, but 2006 the expectations were high!!!!

Sounds to me that a lot of people here don't even have "high" expectations for this team, just "reasonable expectations"

I don't see how anyone who pays attention to what other teams in this division are doing, can say we aren't the favorite as of right now to win this division

Minnesota has Mauer, Morneau and to a lesser extent Kubel coming off a career year, moving outside of the metrodome (this fact seems to slowly become less acknowledged, and it's a huge factor in how their team will perform). They also have a starting rotation full of question marks. Which Nick Blackburn is the real one? Baker and Slowey are huge question marks as well. How will their team defense be affected by playing outdoors, especially in April and May when it's still cold

Their bullpen also has question marks, outside of Nathan

Detroit is trying to do what Kenny did last year, and that's rebuild on the fly. Dumping CG for cheap talent who may or may not perform well, given a starting position, and losing Rodney for Valverde. Their starting rotation is less questionable than Minnesota's due to having a true ace, and possible legit #2 , but Verlander (RHP) > Porcello (RHP) > ??? (Scherzer) > ??? (Bonine) > ??? (Bonderman) is going to most likely force their offense to score a lot of runs to win games, something we hopefully won't have to do

QUOTE (Real @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)

And yet that '06 team won 90 games, that team was damn good on paper even after factoring in any possible regression to the mean. If I'm predicting the record for the 2010 Sox right now it's somewhere in the mid 80's.

QUOTE (Real @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
Sounds to me that a lot of people here don't even have "high" expectations for this team, just "reasonable expectations"

I don't see how anyone who pays attention to what other teams in this division are doing, can say we aren't the favorite as of right now to win this division

Minnesota has Mauer, Morneau and to a lesser extent Kubel coming off a career year, moving outside of the metrodome (this fact seems to slowly become less acknowledged, and it's a huge factor in how their team will perform). They also have a starting rotation full of question marks. Which Nick Blackburn is the real one? Baker and Slowey are huge question marks as well. How will their team defense be affected by playing outdoors, especially in April and May when it's still cold

Detroit is trying to do what Kenny did last year, and that's rebuild on the fly. Dumping CG for cheap talent who may or may not perform well, given a starting position, and losing Rodney for Valverde. Their starting rotation is less questionable than Minnesota's due to having a true ace, and possible legit #2 , but Verlander (RHP) > Porcello (RHP) > ??? (Scherzer) > ??? (Bonine) > ??? (Bonderman) is going to most likely force their offense to score a lot of runs to win games, something we hopefully won't have to do

If we sign a legit dh, I'm sure many people would have their personal expectations be a lot higher.

If we get to the playoffs, we'll have a legit shot to win the Series imo but I'm not 100 percent convinced we'll get there just yet. As I said earlier, sign me a legit dh and I'll feel a lot better.

QUOTE (Real @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)

The Sox's bullpen aside from 1 lefty reliever is a giant clusterf***. Konerko is nothing special at 1B and another year older, which Alexei is the real Alexei at the plate? Can he improve on his fielding at SS? Can Mark Teahen hit or field? Because he hasn't done either in 4 years. Can Quentin stay healthy or even come close to the production we saw in '08? Does Alex Rios really give a s*** about baseball? can he crack a .700 OPS in 2010? They're probably looking at a .325-.330 OBP slap hitter at the top with one of the worst arms in the game, that should be a step back from the production of the '09 leadoff man. Right now the Sox have to be slated for some of the worst production out of the DH spot of any team in the AL, that's not good when the rest of your offense is one big question mark. Can Gordon Beckham avoid a sophomore slump? Will AJ's defense become a liability in 2010? He's been toeing the line the past few years and he's now getting into his mid-30's and has logged nearly 9000 innings back there over the past 8 years. Has the team defense been anymore than marginally improved from 2009?

It's all about how you look at things.

I watched a bit on ESPN BBTN last night and Buster Olney says the AL Central is weak and the Sox have done little or nothing to get better. They are old and added older players to the mix. He thinks Detroit might be the team to beat this season

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 12:06 PM)
2006 without even a second thought. How do you predict that the pitching staff would fall off that badly?

With the way Ozzie leaned on the pitching staff (rightfully so) in 2005 I thought they would have a down year the next year. Many pitching staff have a down year after something like that. I believe they won 90 games but missed the playoffs and I was surprised they did that well.

I am fairly optimistic the team will reach 88-90 wins this year.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
If they get a lefty power bat at the deadline or before, they could easily get to the ALCS this year, IMO.

As it stands right now, they could win the division, but I'm not sure how much farther without homefield advantage.

These are my expectations for this year.

However, in 2006, I thought we were on the verge of a dynasty.

We had a rotation of All-Stars, the previous years best bullpen with our new flame throwing closer, a fearsome lineup with no holes other than Anderson, and exceptional defense aside from the corner OF spots. I still thought we'd win it all at the All-Star break, but we fell off and the Tigers took off.

The Sun-Times backpage that said " Stop Believin' " with Thome, Dye, and Konerko standing at the top of the dug out is the most disappointing one I ever saw.