Relationship Advice Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)
I've always chalked this up to "men are just hornier than women." In other words, the reason straight men have fewer partners isn't due to being more moral or being wired differently. It's due to the greater challenge in finding willing partners.

If you're a guy and your #1 goal for the night is getting laid, your odds are better if you're looking for another guy than if you're looking for a girl.

It's this, the sex drives are the same, straight men just have a much more difficult time getting casual sex on average. If they could sleep around with the same amount of ease as gay men, I'm sure most straight men would do it. It's not really a matter of lifestyle choice. There are exceptions of course, but we're talking about the average guy.

Different friend. Just called me with serious problem.

His wife just left last night. She went to stay with her mom. Said she's unsure if she wants marriage to continue. They have one 9 year old boy, no other kids.

The wife is very sweet person, very attractive, not a b**** in any way. The husband, bless him, is very very devoted to wife and child. But he's wound so tight, so uptight. He's a former football lineman and has that type of monster mentality. Bark, not bite. He'd never hit her or the child or anything. He's just a Type A lunatic if that's the right word, one of those guys who screams at motorists, etc.

My advice to him was tell her this is his wake up call. Tell her he'll do anything, go to counseling, do all he can to give her the perfect life. They've dated since high school and are 35 and meant for each other. I told him to just tell her he will do everything in his power to make her life as perfect as possible. That he will work on himself through counseling, etc.

What should he do? He was beside himself in pain and almost crying when he called.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
As the current college student, I'm in agreement here.

I can easily see some of the crazier ones hitting like, 100. But if I had to guess the average would be between 4-7

One of my roommates my senior year hit about 40 (not every hookup was actual sex but whatever), and he dated a few of them for a bit during that period. He literally had 4-5 girls in a rotation at one point. Some people just hook up like crazy.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
As the current college student, I'm in agreement here.

I can easily see some of the crazier ones hitting like, 100. But if I had to guess the average would be between 4-7

Well yeah, obviously it was an exaggeration. As a college bartender I'd like to think we were in the higher numbers comparatively and thats crazy, but if you start factoring in life after college (a decade or so) its not that far out of range.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 02:14 PM)
I work with a dude who has sex with anywhere from 2-10 dudes a week. He's famous where I am from, but it happens in extreme cases.

My partner's ex, is an old friend of mine and he's been out for a few years, he would stay with us every so often. He's appears to be very innocent, church going, nice dude.

This past summer, we shot scenes for the miniseries I've been working on in a strip club in Boystown (The location acted as this mob joint). We were setting up our gear and the dancers were getting in position. It was a small crew, about 5 of us: me, my co director, DP, gaffer and our make up artist and only three actors.

We wanted this to look as authentic as possible, so we blacked out the windows, the DJ started playing music and we told everyone to have fun and surely enough there's half naked men dancing everywhere and people making out and were shooting all of this.

Because I was going over the script, I couldn't meet with the extras we had. A hour into the shoot, Imwe were filming a scene where our protagonist walk in the room. And when they walk in, they get stink eye from these two guys. Our actors kept missing their mark and we had to do a few takes. And every take these two extra get way too into the scene and we had cut because things were getting too real, really nasty stuff. Me and the other director, go up to the actors and tell them to scale it back. One the extra pulls their face out and it's my partner's ex. I was completely shocked, I would never expect someone that innocent to be in a place like this, doing nasty things. They got a little embarrassed but he calmed down and was able to get through the day.

We get what we need and I go home. I walk in and my partner tells me that, her ex was supposed to spend the night and my stomach sinks. As I was having a panic attack (I love awkward situations but this was too much), she tells me that he made other plans and cancelled. Ive never been more relieved in my entire life.

So everytime, me and her ex see each other around the city, he say don't tell Hannah to each other.

Not relationship advice but a funny story.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 11:32 PM)
Well yeah, obviously it was an exaggeration. As a college bartender I'd like to think we were in the higher numbers comparatively and thats crazy, but if you start factoring in life after college (a decade or so) its not that far out of range.

Is it true most bartenders could pick up the hottest girls in the bar near closing time?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 12:26 AM)
Is it true most bartenders could pick up the hottest girls in the bar near closing time?

No. Drunkest maybe. You still work an hour or two after closing so it's pretty hard to hook up after shift.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)
Just going through the worst type of break-up for me, the one where you have strong feelings for each other, but it's just so clear that we're two different people and it won't work.

I feel you on this man. Sometimes, it's just a personality conflict and nothing more.

What happened exactly if you're in the sharing mood.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 10:49 AM)
I feel you on this man. Sometimes, it's just a personality conflict and nothing more.

What happened exactly if you're in the sharing mood.

Thanks.

We met and there was a great instant connection and we started dating, but just the day-to-day things weren't compatible. Mostly centered around I'm extremely laid back and she's a little more high strung (not in a bad way, just a description).

We just didn't really connect, every thing I wore was critiqued, she'd always want to go out and do "fun" things and dinner and a movie, or an occasional relaxing night wasn't really for her. So just things like that, as you said "personality conflict". That really sums it up.

We discussed issues, I'd say I'd try harder to do more "fun" things, but it just didn't work out. Weird mix of, damn I miss her, but fully realizing it would never work, even if one of us changed for a short time all the issues would pop up in short order.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 05:31 PM)
Thanks.

We met and there was a great instant connection and we started dating, but just the day-to-day things weren't compatible. Mostly centered around I'm extremely laid back and she's a little more high strung (not in a bad way, just a description).

We just didn't really connect, every thing I wore was critiqued, she'd always want to go out and do "fun" things and dinner and a movie, or an occasional relaxing night wasn't really for her. So just things like that, as you said "personality conflict". That really sums it up.

We discussed issues, I'd say I'd try harder to do more "fun" things, but it just didn't work out. Weird mix of, damn I miss her, but fully realizing it would never work, even if one of us changed for a short time all the issues would pop up in short order.

How long were you dating?

I'm kind of in the same boat that everything I do is critiqued. I've been dating my girlfriend for 5 years and she wants to move in after I graduate in May, but I really don't want to because I don't have a job lined up yet and no money for rent on a place.

Just last week she said I was spreading mayonnaise on my sandwich wrong. I dropped the knife and walked out of the kitchen.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)

I'm kind of in the same boat that everything I do is critiqued. I've been dating my girlfriend for 5 years and she wants to move in after I graduate in May, but I really don't want to because I don't have a job lined up yet and no money for rent on a place.

Just last week she said I was spreading mayonnaise on my sandwich wrong. I dropped the knife and walked out of the kitchen.

Holy s*** dude, seriously? Wow. :o

That would absolutely drive me up the wall if my lady critiqued everything I did and she would have been gone a long time ago. Thankfully, she's not at all like that and we get along like two peas in a pod.

Reading the stuff in this thread just makes me even more greatful for the relationship the little lady and I have. :wub:

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
Holy s*** dude, seriously? Wow. :o

That would absolutely drive me up the wall if my lady critiqued everything I did and she would have been gone a long time ago. Thankfully, she's not at all like that and we get along like two peas in a pod.

Reading the stuff in this thread just makes me even more greatful for the relationship the little lady and I have. :wub:

Yeah, I started laughing and then she wanted to show me how to do it. I was just like, "are you serious right now?" Just insane.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 12:30 PM)
Yeah, I started laughing and then she wanted to show me how to do it. I was just like, "are you serious right now?" Just insane.

Wow man. You have more patience than I have. I can see why you dropped the knife and walked away.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 05:31 PM)
Thanks.

You liked her company but I really think you made the right call. You can find a girl that's more up to your speed and that will really help your relationship flourish. There are billions of people on the planet; there are multiple compatible partners for everyone if you ask me.

Ok that's just super f***ed. Was she trolling you?

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
You liked her company but I really think you made the right call. You can find a girl that's more up to your speed and that will really help your relationship flourish. There are billions of people on the planet; there are multiple compatible partners for everyone if you ask me.

Thanks, appreciate the words!

Not nearly as long as you were, only talking months for us, but, I'm guessing I'm a bit older than you, so spidey senses trigger a touch quicker.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)

Couldn't agree more, well said.

Dating is a drag and for some, it takes for seemingly ever but worth it when the right one is eventually found.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 05:46 PM)

Great job walking out of the kitchen! Did she realize she was out of line? Or did she simply ignore your awesome response? You can't let her move in with you until she is tested some more. If she keeps pulling s*** like that, she definitely deserves the boot. Life is too short to be with somebody who would critique how you put mayo on a sandwich.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 09:38 PM)
Great job walking out of the kitchen! Did she realize she was out of line? Or did she simply ignore your awesome response? You can't let her move in with you until she is tested some more. If she keeps pulling s*** like that, she definitely deserves the boot. Life is too short to be with somebody who would critique how you put mayo on a sandwich.

No she didn't realize it. I just ignored her after that. It's been 5 years and she wants to get married within the next 2 and I just don't think I'm ready for that. On top of that, she wants to have kids before were 30 (we both just turned 24).

I'm just not ready for all that right now and it's been 5 years, I do love and care about her, but it seems like we just want different things in our lives at this moment. It sucks.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 04:50 AM)
No she didn't realize it. I just ignored her after that. It's been 5 years and she wants to get married within the next 2 and I just don't think I'm ready for that. On top of that, she wants to have kids before were 30 (we both just turned 24).

I'm just not ready for all that right now and it's been 5 years, I do love and care about her, but it seems like we just want different things in our lives at this moment. It sucks.

That is very tough. I feel for you because obviously you don't want what she wants and ultimately unless you give in, this is going to end with a breakup. And I would think she believes that she's found her husband when in reality she may have to start all over with somebody else again. Does she have a good job? Do you have a good job yet?