Viciedo loafing draws the attention of KW

WSoxMatt

Dayan Viciedo didn't run out a pop and received a special message from general manager Ken Williams during Monday's B game against the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Viciedo jogged to first base, prompting Williams, who was sitting in the stands, to yell at his Cuban prospect to run to first base.

After the out, Williams walked from his seat before home plate to the Sox's dugout to talk to manager Ozzie Guillen about the incident.

Matt Thornton threw a scoreless first inning, although he needed an accurate throw from right fielder Stefan Gartrell to home plate to nail Brian Giles to end the inning. Gartrell left the game in the bottom of the second after getting hit on the left knee by a pitch. The Sox lead the Dodgers 3-1 in the bottom of the sixth.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)
Exactly. So I hope Viciedo is made to understand this and it doesn't become a big issue.

I don't think it's a big issue.

He's young and comes across as very coachable.

I think they're just helping him understand he hasn't earned the slack some of the veterans might get.

Andruw Jones wasn't exactly busting it around the bases against the Cubs, although they may have told him to take it easy running the bases. Of course they had him stealing so who knows. They addressed it, he'll loaf again, just about every White Sox loafs down the line on routine plays. I think they just want to send a message to him. He hasn't accomplished anything yet. He can act like a big shot when he becomes one. He looks real pudgy to me. I have the feeling they were hoping he reporting to spring training a little less soft.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 01:29 AM)
Andruw Jones wasn't exactly busting it around the bases against the Cubs, although they may have told him to take it easy running the bases. Of course they had him stealing so who knows. They addressed it, he'll loaf again, just about every Major League player loafs down the line on routine plays. I think they just want to send a message to him. He hasn't accomplished anything yet. He can act like a big shot when he becomes one. He looks real pudgy to me. I have the feeling they were hoping he reporting to spring training a little less soft.

fixed.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 12:17 AM)
Yawn. Not that big a deal. Certainly didn't require a story.
No yawn. If you watched or followed this guy last year you'd know that unless or until he has a major attitude adjustment, he is a longshot at best. Even with that adjustment I have my doubts about his ability to be any kind of an impact player.

Even though it was a one time minor infraction against the team´s wotk ethic, you gotta hustle for that kind of money. If this kid is a bust this year then there will be serious calls to cut him. And signing Boras after only one year if true is a terrible move on his part because he has proved nothing yet.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
Even though it was a one time minor infraction against the team´s wotk ethic, you gotta hustle for that kind of money. If this kid is a bust this year then there will be serious calls to cut him. And signing Boras after only one year if true is a terrible move on his part because he has proved nothing yet.

I don't think there's much chance of that happening even if he does have a bad season for B-Ham or Charlotte.

As it's been said, the Sox control his rights, so I can't see why they'd just release him. Would be bad management on their part.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 01:00 AM)
I don't think there's much chance of that happening even if he does have a bad season for B-Ham or Charlotte.

As it's been said, the Sox control his rights, so I can't see why they'd just release him. Would be bad management on their part.

Not to mention he's still only 21 freaking years old and probably gonna start in AAA. Prospects his age are usually still in A ball.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 01:23 AM)
I love how Ozzie and Kenny enforce hustling on some guys and not others.

I was gonna not say anything regarding that (usually it seems more younger players get called out, than the vets who do it.. I.E. A.J., Dye when he was here, Castro, etc.. etc.. [Konerko is just naturally slow]) but you just had to make a post like this. :D