Fire Ozzie

shago

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 11:14 PM)
I get the feeling quite a few people around here have never heard of Romero. He wasn't taken 6th overall in the '05 draft for kicks. He's got a good FB, a plus change and a plus curve.

Well to be fair, he was considered an overdraft (think Tyler Colvin of the Cubs type overdraft) in 2005. He will forever be known for some people, including myself, as "that guy who was taken before Troy Tulowitski" and I remembered I was stunned they didn't take Tulo, Mike Pelfrey (only at least had a very good 08 season/made it to the bigs) or Wade Townsend (though he has been a huge bust, as I was a fan of his) especially because both the pitchers and Tulo were more highly touted and had better college numbers comming out. One start against us won't change my mind on him unless he continues this the whole season, but the guy has always had pressure living up to being selected that high and hasn't been too bad through-out the minors. We'll see on him.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 12:24 AM)
We used 124 different lineups last year. The Angels used 123. The Twins used 129. The Tigers used 126. Texas used 123. The Rays used 123.

I knew this was the case. I was just too lazy to look it up.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 12:33 AM)
Well to be fair, he was considered an overdraft (think Tyler Colvin of the Cubs type overdraft) in 2005. He will forever be known for some people, including myself, as "that guy who was taken before Troy Tulowitski" and I remembered I was stunned they didn't take Tulo, Mike Pelfrey (only at least had a very good 08 season/made it to the bigs) or Wade Townsend (though he has been a huge bust, as I was a fan of his) especially because both the pitchers and Tulo were more highly touted and had better college numbers comming out. One start against us won't change my mind on him unless he continues this the whole season, but the guy has always had pressure living up to being selected that high and hasn't been too bad through-out the minors. We'll see on him.

Well, he had a solid rookie year last year. So it's not like he came outta nowhere. And the "stuff" was never in question. So I'm not just going by tonight's domination. I'm sure they'll be a big fat article on Fangraphs tomorrow highlighting his performance.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 11:36 PM)
Well, he had a solid rookie year last year. So it's not like he came outta nowhere. And the "stuff" was never in question. So I'm not just going by tonight's domination.

His stuff really isn't overpowering, but he mixes up well, and uses all 4 or 5 of his pitch arsenal well. He was never a strike out pitcher in the minors. (though he's solid at 7.0 K:9) He isn't quite as sexy with stuff as say.. a Jonathan Sanchez through out, but as we all know, you don't always need that though for a guy picked 5th overall in the country, it isn't what I would prefer personally. He even said it himself, he doesn't trick anybody, but he is a great student of the game, so obviously he was in the film room looking at our guys' weaknesses.. you know.. throw pitches low and out of the zone as I believe 7 or 8 of his 12 Ks were pitches out of the zone. Now I'll say this, that cutter he added, as done wonders for him.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 01:19 AM)
I'm sure the post-game was a fun one.

At least Alex Rios had the last laugh with the fans. Imagine the boos he'll get Wednesday...

Yep, all 27 fans in attendance will be all over his ass.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Apr 13, 2010 -> 11:02 PM)
I can't believe I just read this whole thread.

you gotta admit, it is pretty humorous, although not as satisfying as a fire greg walker poll, but still. Just out of curiosity, do other hitting coaches fly around the country working with players in the off season or was Walker just trying to rack up the bonus miles?

The reason Ozzie will never get fired is that great picture in the dugout when he hugged Mark Buehrle after his second win, the game in which Buehrle gutted out the victory w/out his best stuff.

Players appear to love Ozzie; Ozzie is great.

A lot of people second guess this pitching move or that pinch hit move or this bunt or whatever. His decisions you may not agree with in hindsight but they are the decisions of a good baseball mind.

You watch a baseball game, any game, and you can find s*** to second guess if your team loses. That's a fact.

This year, Oz can't win, cause if the team sucks on a given night, the critics will simply say, 'Those are the players Oz wanted. It's his fault if the team didn't score enough to win.'

That's a copout. KW puts the team together with input from Ozzie. It's his team.

I think Oz's rotating DH idea is stupid, and I think we are a big bat short, but I still love Ozzie.

Edited by greg775

Yeah, we can argue the point of firing Ozzie or Ozzie resigning after every loss. Last night's loss was the result of stellar pitching, not necessarily a bad lineup. We all know there are concerns with the lineup, and we all know that Ozzie played a big part in creating the team as it is built now. If things continue to go badly, I imagine KW will do something. But calling for the head of Ozzie after 8 games and a 3-5 start is ridiculous.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 01:02 AM)
I can't believe I just read this whole thread.

We really should know better, but I just can't keep from slowing down and seeing what the thread is all about. :lolhitting

There aren't enough LOL smilies in the world to properly address how silly this is.

Romero was Absolutely sick last night, you could see it from the first inning. That's a game against that team that pretty much any team on any night is going to lose, 99% of the time.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 08:55 AM)
There aren't enough LOL smilies in the world to properly address how silly this is.

Romero was Absolutely sick last night, you could see it from the first inning. That's a game against that team that pretty much any team on any night is going to lose, 99% of the time.

As good as Romero was though, I don't think our team came out prepared for this at all. It was as if they had never seen him pitch before. AJ, Beckham, Quentin, Andruw and Teahen had some pathetic looking at bats.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 08:05 AM)
As good as Romero was though, I don't think our team came out prepared for this at all. It was as if they had never seen him pitch before. AJ, Beckham, Quentin, Andruw and Teahen had some pathetic looking at bats.

Romero had never faced the Sox before.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)
Romero had never faced the Sox before.

I know, but it was as if no research was done on the guy at all. I'm not saying that was the case, but some of the at-bats looked so pathetic that thought came to me several times throughout the game.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 08:13 AM)
I know, but it was as if no research was done on the guy at all. I'm not saying that was the case, but some of the at-bats looked so pathetic that thought came to me several times throughout the game.

I agree that this is a problem with this team, and one of the reasons why I do feel Walker has some responsibility that he isn't meeting. But this particular game, he really did look filthy.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 08:13 AM)

Romero seriously looked like vintage Johan last night with everything in his arsenal going. You can prepare all you want for guys like that, when they are on their games, it doesnt matter.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 08:16 AM)
Romero seriously looked like vintage Johan last night with everything in his arsenal going. You can prepare all you want for guys like that, when they are on their games, it doesnt matter.

No, no, and no. You got it all wrong.

When Mark Buehrle pitches a perfect game or a no hitter, it's because of how awesome he is, opposing batters didn't have a chance.

When someone does it to us (or comes close), it's because our offense sucks and our manager/hitting coach need to be fired!

It's called Soxtalktality -- a blend of group think from Sox talk and the mentality it creates.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 08:29 AM)
No, no, and no. You got it all wrong.

When Mark Buehrle pitches a perfect game or a no hitter, it's because of how awesome he is, opposing batters didn't have a chance.

When someone does it to us (or comes close), it's because our offense sucks and our manager/hitting coach need to be fired!

It's called Soxtalktality -- a blend of group think from Sox talk and the mentality it creates.

Haha, I like

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 14, 2010 -> 01:55 AM)
The reason Ozzie will never get fired is that great picture in the dugout when he hugged Mark Buehrle after his second win, the game in which Buehrle gutted out the victory w/out his best stuff.

Players appear to love Ozzie; Ozzie is great.

A lot of people second guess this pitching move or that pinch hit move or this bunt or whatever. His decisions you may not agree with in hindsight but they are the decisions of a good baseball mind.

You watch a baseball game, any game, and you can find s*** to second guess if your team loses. That's a fact.

This year, Oz can't win, cause if the team sucks on a given night, the critics will simply say, 'Those are the players Oz wanted. It's his fault if the team didn't score enough to win.'

That's a copout. KW puts the team together with input from Ozzie. It's his team.

I think Oz's rotating DH idea is stupid, and I think we are a big bat short, but I still love Ozzie.

Great post. Outside of the Sox world Ozzie is viewed as a good manager.