A. Gonzalez Update 5/3

Marty34

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 2, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
Let's not act like the Sox lineup is somehow weaker than the Padres lineup. Obviously you are exaggerating, but it's not like teams would pitch around Gonzalez to get to Konerko, Quentin, Jones, or Rios on a regular basis.

I was talking about next year and beyond. PK and Jones are both free agents this winter and Quentin looks like a shell of the player that he was in 2008 (even when he's healthy).

This is one of the reasons that I want PK brought back. Imagine this offense without him and Jones.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 2, 2010 -> 06:08 PM)
I was talking about next year and beyond. PK and Jones are both free agents this winter and Quentin looks like a shell of the player that he was in 2008 (even when he's healthy).

This is one of the reasons that I want PK brought back. Imagine this offense without him and Jones.

Oh this offense is undoubtedly sad and very untalented overall looking forward.

I also don't want to bring Konerko back if the club isn't going to be able to put up a competitive team. If they are going to go into any type of a rebuilding, you may as well save money at 1B and try a few people out and see if something sticks, or sign a 1B stopgap for a year and then trade him at the deadline.

So far, this year is showing that the rebuild while "playing for this year" combo that KW tries to do is in it's 5th year of failing to repeat 2005.

They'd be better off slashing payroll in the offseason and playing Hudson, Flowers, Viciedo, Morel etc., next year in Chicago and taking their lumps.

If payroll is down, the droves of fair-weather Sox fans that won't show up for games in 2011 won't affect the bottom line as much and they can truly rebuild through high draft picks and youth getting MLB experience.

The Sox hadn't done that in their past history until they took a dump from 1986-1989 and got those high draft picks.

McDowell, Fernandez, Thomas, and Ventura were cornerstones of a seriously good team from 1990-1995. It would have never happened without those bad years.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 2, 2010 -> 04:21 PM)
So far, this year is showing that the rebuild while "playing for this year" combo that KW tries to do is in it's 5th year of failing to repeat 2005.

They'd be better off slashing payroll in the offseason and playing Hudson, Flowers, Viciedo, Morel etc., next year in Chicago and taking their lumps.

If payroll is down, the droves of fair-weather Sox fans that won't show up for games in 2011 won't affect the bottom line as much and they can truly rebuild through high draft picks and youth getting MLB experience.

The Sox hadn't done that in their past history until they took a dump from 1986-1989 and got those high draft picks.

McDowell, Fernandez, Thomas, and Ventura were cornerstones of a seriously good team from 1990-1995. It would have never happened without those bad years.

I don't think that Kenny's "retool on the fly" strategy is sustainable over the long-term, and especially if you don't have a very strong farm system. That said, Kenny doesn't seem to want to sacrifice a rebuilding year or two. It'll be interesting to see what happens down the road.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 2, 2010 -> 11:18 AM)
You do know the "blogger" he was insulting is the same guy who owns this site?

I vaguely knew there was some kind of connection between that guy and this place. But it doesnt do anything to change the fact that the Angels/Konerko part of that whole thing didn't make sense.

It may not have made sense, but in my opinion if Chisoxfn says he heard something, you can bet that its the truth.

That is the problem I have with Cowley's attacks, that he dismissed some one else could possibly have more information than him on the subject.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 2, 2010 -> 06:35 PM)
I vaguely knew there was some kind of connection between that guy and this place. But it doesnt do anything to change the fact that the Angels/Konerko part of that whole thing didn't make sense.

Yes it did. The Angels had a need at DH, they've long been rumored/interested in Konerko, the White Sox wanted to acquire one more piece for a deal for Gonzalez, and the Sox needed to clear up some money. It was about a 1,000:1 shot at working simply because there were so many good DH options on the open market, but the Sox talking to the Angels about Konerko (probably a Konerko for Brandon Wood swap, or something along those lines) actually does make sense.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 2, 2010 -> 07:20 PM)
, but the Sox talking to the Angels about Konerko (probably a Konerko for Brandon Wood swap, or something along those lines) actually does make sense.

The Angels wouldn't have traded Brandon Wood for anyone in our organization save Beckham or Danks.

Edited by GREEDY

QUOTE (GREEDY @ May 2, 2010 -> 07:35 PM)
The Angels wouldn't have traded Brandon Wood for anyone in our organization save Beckham or Danks.

I don't doubt they value him quite highly, but I doubt it is that highly.

Anyways, that's beside the point. The point was that Williams was going to try and deal Konerko for a prospect or two to Anaheim, who he was then going to include in a deal for Gonzalez. It obviously didn't work and it was a long shot to begin with.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 2, 2010 -> 07:20 PM)
Yes it did. The Angels had a need at DH, they've long been rumored/interested in Konerko, the White Sox wanted to acquire one more piece for a deal for Gonzalez, and the Sox needed to clear up some money. It was about a 1,000:1 shot at working simply because there were so many good DH options on the open market, but the Sox talking to the Angels about Konerko (probably a Konerko for Brandon Wood swap, or something along those lines) actually does make sense.

It made no sense. Why would the Angels want to trade a prospect of any value for Konerko when there were better options on the free-agent market who could be had for less $$$ than Konerko.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 2, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
It made no sense. Why would the Angels want to trade a prospect of any value for Konerko when there were better options on the free-agent market who could be had for less $$$ than Konerko.

Because Brandon Wood is looking like he can be a AAAA player at best and the Angels have coveted Konerko since after '05 like Kenny did Jones/Pierre/Vizquel.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 2, 2010 -> 07:21 PM)

Back in the winter of 2006-2007, Rosenthal said that retooling on the fly won't work and hasn't worked historically and it would be a mistake. Here we are.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 2, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)

If Matsui signs elsewhere (and considering the Sox were interested, it was very plausible), they might be more comfortable trading a prospect or two for Konerko rather than going out and signing someone else.

It was a longshot by Williams and company, and they obviously didn't get laughed out of the room. The Angels just found someone better and moved on.

Since we're not the ones signing the checks, is there anyone who will go on record and argue how/why trading Flowers/Hudson as well as Danks OR Morel for Gonzalez and THEN signing Edgar to a $200 million dollar, 8 year contract extension would make sense at this time and place?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2010 -> 10:00 AM)
Since we're not the ones signing the checks, is there anyone who will go on record and argue how/why trading Flowers/Hudson as well as Danks OR Morel for Gonzalez and THEN signing Edgar to a $200 million dollar, 8 year contract extension would make sense at this time and place?

Who is Edgar and why would anyone give him 200 mil?

Who is Edgar? :huh

Who is Edgar? And I know this is off topic, but what about the possibility of bringing in a guy like Dunn for the short term solution? He would cost much less in terms of talent/money, and I'm fairly certain the Nats aren't going anywhere?

Well Edgar Gonzalez is barely surviving in the Japanese league right now, so giving him $200 million would be an awful decision. His brother Adrian can play though, but given the team's present salary situation, I think a deal like that, along with Rios & Peavy, could end up hurting the team in the long run. I'd be willing to give up the prospects for him, but only if we could sign him to a long term deal that made sense for us.

QUOTE (Special K @ May 3, 2010 -> 11:05 AM)
Who is Edgar? And I know this is off topic, but what about the possibility of bringing in a guy like Dunn for the short term solution? He would cost much less in terms of talent/money, and I'm fairly certain the Nats aren't going anywhere?

Dunn is still going to be a type A free agent if he walks and the Nats will be happy to offer arbitration. In other words...the price that any team trading for him needs to beat is...a late first round pick and a sandwich pick. That's still not a small price.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 2, 2010 -> 09:13 PM)
Back in the winter of 2006-2007, Rosenthal said that retooling on the fly won't work and hasn't worked historically and it would be a mistake. Here we are.

It doesn't really work for losing teams.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 2, 2010 -> 09:13 PM)

He also picked us to win the World Series this year.

KW has been talking with the Padres about AGon for awhile now, the problem is that they are actually winning more games than the Sox.

AG isnt the only left/switch bat that KW has been after. I mentioned it several weeks ago when he was already doing some work.