Juan pierre is really good at...

bkmoney

QUOTE (T R U @ May 9, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
his weak infield single and then SB is as good as a double to me, do not care what you say about that..

Good luck knocking in a runner with an infield single and then the guy behind him has to take 1 to 3 pitches for the SB to take place. With the double you're not affecting the guy behind you and you can drive in a guy from any base. And then you have that 25% of the time where the single is negated by a CS. A double is significantly more valuable in that a lot less has to go exactly right for it to take place.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 9, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
Good luck knocking in a runner with an infield single and then the guy behind him has to take 1 to 3 pitches for the SB to take place. With the double you're not affecting the guy behind you and you can drive in a guy from any base. And then you have that 25% of the time where the single is negated by a CS. A double is significantly more valuable in that a lot less has to go exactly right for it to take place.

No, you're right.. I was not talking in terms of Pierre being able to knock in runs, I know hes not gonna do that and I don't really care..

I also don't really care if he just hits infield singles and then steals 2B either.. As long as his ass is in scoring position for the bats after him it doesn't matter to me if its done that way or a double..

QUOTE (bkmoney @ May 8, 2010 -> 10:31 PM)
hitting singles

He has 27 hits this year. Without looking it up, guess how many extra base hits he has...

ready. set. go.

(and good thing he can steal bases)

Juan Pierre is really good at....making outs.

On a positive note, he bettered his .042 (1-24) hitting with RISP average today. He's now 3-26!

On a not so positive noted, can someone get him to throw through the cutoff man? I'm not sure his lollipop throws from LF could gun out PK trying to score from second base.

QUOTE (spiderman @ May 9, 2010 -> 10:58 PM)
Juan Pierre is really good at....making outs.

Indeed. IIRC, Orlando Cabrera set the single season White Sox record for outs made a couple of years ago. Juan is an absolute lock to break that if he stays healthy and keeps hitting leadoff.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 10, 2010 -> 12:46 PM)
Indeed. IIRC, Orlando Cabrera set the single season White Sox record for outs made a couple of years ago. Juan is an absolute lock to break that if he stays healthy and keeps hitting leadoff.

http://bbref.com/pi/shareit/GCHb6

Juan Pierre:

2003: 511 outs

2004: 507

2005: 514

2006: 532

2007: 519

Well Juan Pierre is now all alone. Chris Coghlan, in his 114th PA of the season, picks up his first XBH (a double) leaving Juan Pierre (139 PA) as the only player in the game with at least 70 PA and no XBH. His closest peers would be Mark Grudzielanek (59 PA, 0 XBH) and Chris Getz (57 PA, 0 XBH).

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 10, 2010 -> 09:19 PM)
Well Juan Pierre is now all alone. Chris Coghlan, in his 114th PA of the season, picks up his first XBH (a double) leaving Juan Pierre (139 PA) as the only player in the game with at least 70 PA and no XBH. His closest peers would be Mark Grudzielanek (59 PA, 0 XBH) and Chris Getz (57 PA, 0 XBH).

I don't have any statistical evidence to support this, but to the naked eye, Chris Getz had as little power as any Sox hitter I can remember seeing before Juan Pierre. He did have two home runs last year (one against Cincinnati, one against Baltimore, and I remember them both because oddly enough, I was at both games) and despite witnessing them both in person, I still have no idea how he hit the ball far enough to get it out of the yard twice.

QUOTE (bkmoney @ May 9, 2010 -> 04:31 AM)
hitting singles

He has 27 hits this year. Without looking it up, guess how many extra base hits he has...

ready. set. go.

(and good thing he can steal bases)

Not an upgrade over Pods in my opinion. But I think he was one of those guys coveted by KW and Ozzie over the years and finally they got their man. Vizquel is another one they wanted for a long time.