Peavy expresses concern about tired arm

Balta1701

he's certainly not helping the team so why take any chances this season. Just put him on the shelf and have him ready for 2011.

I guess they could do this, but generally a guy needs to be hurt. If they feel he's about to blow the arm out, I guess, sure.

Peavy's a pretty fierce competitor. I doubt he'll go for sitting out the rest of the year unless an MRI shows something bad.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 26, 2010 -> 08:08 PM)
He's never thrown a no-hitter, so that's not true.

Oh for God's sake. Fine, he's nearly unhittable. Better?

What I was getting at was he'd have one bad inning then come in and completely dominant for several innings in a row.

I swear sometimes on this board you could say that Sox is spelled S-O-X and people would argue. :P

QUOTE (hogan873 @ May 27, 2010 -> 06:30 AM)
Oh for God's sake. Fine, he's nearly unhittable. Better?

What I was getting at was he'd have one bad inning then come in and completely dominant for several innings in a row.

I swear sometimes on this board you could say that Sox is spelled S-O-X and people would argue. :P

;)

Like I said, sometimes it's fun to just be an ass.

Peavy will skip his usual bullpen throwing session this time through.

"The bottom line is I have to figure out a way to overcome (a lack of strength)," Peavy said Thursday. "That's what separates a good year and bad year is finding a way to win on those fifth days and give your team a chance to win, not go out and give up six runs in six innings like I did in Cleveland."

QUOTE (hogan873 @ May 26, 2010 -> 09:51 AM)
One other thing that bugs me about Peavy is how he shakes off a lot of pitches. Watch Buehrle pitch, and you'll see him get the sign and throw the ball. Peavy shakes off pitch after pitch before throwing. Maybe he should start listening to his catchers, especially considering AJ is quite good at calling games.

I totally agree with you. It really bugs me how he's shaking off AJ as well. :(

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 28, 2010 -> 09:48 AM)
He needs to play long toss, I've totally bought into the Rangers way of pitching. Much more long toss from greater distances.

Be careful with that. The Rangers have a reputation of beating up their pitchers pretty badly.

Also, with Nolan Ryan taking be ready for the Tom House/ Larry Rothschild theory of long toss, towel drills and throwing a football to improve your pitching, ie. Mark Prior.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ May 28, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)
I totally agree with you. It really bugs me how he's shaking off AJ as well. :(

Maybe he's making bad pitch choices, but I'd rather have a pitcher throw the pitch he wants to throw rather than throw what the catcher asks for if he truly isn't in to throwing it in that situation.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 28, 2010 -> 06:29 PM)
Be careful with that. The Rangers have a reputation of beating up their pitchers pretty badly.

Also, with Nolan Ryan taking be ready for the Tom House/ Larry Rothschild theory of long toss, towel drills and throwing a football to improve your pitching, ie. Mark Prior.

I remember watching Ryan do all of those drills in Old Comiskey Park. He seemed to turn out all right.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 26, 2010 -> 08:08 PM)
He's never thrown a no-hitter, so that's not true.

Actually, wouldn't being totally unhittable mean that they can't even hit the ball? There's only been one man who was able to do that - Steve f***ing Nebraska

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 29, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)
Actually, wouldn't being totally unhittable mean that they can't even hit the ball? There's only been one man who was able to do that - Steve f***ing Nebraska

I forgot where I knew that name :lolhitting

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2010 -> 10:07 PM)
I remember watching Ryan do all of those drills in Old Comiskey Park. He seemed to turn out all right.

Sometimes, patterning your behavior after a freak of nature is a path towards failure.

I think his struggles could be a result from missing a lot of last year and possibly that 115 pitch or w/e it was effort in a spring training game. Of course the 3 good games he pitched at the end of 2009 might not indicate my previous statement as all that accurate but nevertheless I'm thinking (wishfully) he'll show much improvement as the season goes on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2010 -> 09:07 PM)

Yeah but that's like saying everyone is physically capable of doing what Jordan did.

Studies have shown that the way Nolan Ryan threw is one of the worst way to throw. The "pull string" curve ball alone should have ripped his elbow apart.

Ryan was a physical anomaly with terrible mechanics. It worked for him but I wouldn't teach it to anyone.

Besides, he was barely a .500 pitcher for his career. He had great stats but usually pitched just well enough to lose.