Sox Will Go Closer by Committee

Heads22

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
Putz almost has 100 career saves. He knows how to do this.

IMO, Putz is better served as a set up man. I personally feel like that is a much more high leverage situation, especially since he comes in with guys already on. I think we move Santos back to the 9th for a few games to see if he can cut it. I personally dont like moving Thornton or Putz.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:48 PM)
For those that were skeptical of the Sox because they were beating bad teams, they should be just as skeptical of Jenks' June considering that was mostly against those same bad teams.

Post of the day.

In 2007 and 2008, Jenks' best years, his fastball was 8.5 and 8.7 runs above average, in 2006, his curve was 9.4 runs above average. Last year, his fastball was 2.9 runs below average, and this year, his fastball is exactly average and his curve is .3 runs below average. The guy has lost his stuff, and that is why he is failing.

His WPA is -.38, he is below average in the clutch (obviously), he throws his fastball only 69% of the time, his curve has gone from being used 17.4% of the time in 2006, when it was rated as 9.4 runs above average, to 7.9% of the time. He has gone from a good flamethrower, to a bad pitcher.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:48 PM)
For those that were skeptical of the Sox because they were beating bad teams, they should be just as skeptical of Jenks' June considering that was mostly against those same bad teams.

I don't think anyone who has been skeptical of the Sox has been making excuses for Jenks.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 01:22 PM)
In 2007 and 2008, Jenks' best years, his fastball was 8.5 and 8.7 runs above average, in 2006, his curve was 9.4 runs above average. Last year, his fastball was 2.9 runs below average, and this year, his fastball is exactly average and his curve is .3 runs below average. The guy has lost his stuff, and that is why he is failing.

I'm not much of a stathead, but I've been a baseball fan a long time and I honestly don't know what any of that means. Can someone please explain?

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)
I'm not much of a stathead, but I've been a baseball fan a long time and I honestly don't know what any of that means. Can someone please explain?

Those are pitch values. Ever since the introduction of pitch f/x, which is a system that keeps track of every pitch thrown along with their velocity, location, and trajectory, people have been keeping track of what pitches are getting hit for what. So if you have a pitch value of 0 for a certain pitch, that means you are performing very average with it. If it's negative, that means it is a below average pitch and hitters are hitting it hard for base hits, home runs, whatever. If it's positive, it means it is effective and it's getting guys out.

He's saying that Jenks' pitches have been getting hit harder these past few years and they are not as effective.

They should just release him, get rid of the bum. Then if Putz blows a couple save opportunities, find a way to blame Jenks as well.

I had to laugh at this line: "When he blows a save, he's a fat ass with bad facial hair."

I love the anonymity of the internet. Tell that to his face. He'd kick your ass.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 07:50 PM)
They should just release him, get rid of the bum. Then if Putz blows a couple save opportunities, find a way to blame Jenks as well.

I had to laugh at this line: "When he blows a save, he's a fat ass with bad facial hair."

I love the anonymity of the internet. Tell that to his face. He'd kick your ass.

Please stop greg, you're making actual conversations about actual issues with the Sox very difficult to talk about.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)

You're not defending Bobby Jenks by mocking other people. You're just pissing them off.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 01:50 PM)

Sigh. Greg, greg, greg. You have to cool down, man. Of course Jenks could kick any one of our asses, he's huge and he's an athlete. The point you're missing (and I just can't see how you are missing it) is that Bobby has one job to do...ONE JOB! And he's had trouble getting it done. Enough with the constant defense of him while making sarcastic comments about it. All of us on this site are entitled to our opinions, you included. You don't want to say Jenks is bad right now, fine. But don't attack everyone else because they see and say that Jenks is not getting the job done.

But don't attack everyone else because they see and say that Jenks is not getting the job done.

If somebody says something personal or ridiculous about Jenks, I'm going to respond. My responses have been in response to others' ridiculous comments. It's ridiculous to read some of the s*** on here about pulling the hairs out on his goatee and not respond.

I get why people hate Jenks. Despite blowing two of three saves I still think he has had a good season. In fact, I'd give him a B to B- right now.

If you want to flag him, go right ahead.

You'll get your wish. Let's just hope Putz is as automatic as the Sox want him to be.

Greg, you kill any good White Sox discussion this board has anymore.

Good discussion is not simply bashing the goat of the day after every loss.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
If somebody says something personal or ridiculous about Jenks, I'm going to respond. My responses have been in response to others' ridiculous comments. It's ridiculous to read some of the s*** on here about pulling the hairs out on his goatee and not respond.

I get why people hate Jenks. Despite blowing two of three saves I still think he has had a good season. In fact, I'd give him a B to B- right now.

You'll get your wish. Let's just hope Putz is as automatic as the Sox want him to be.

I'd give him a C. He's gotten the saves, but looked shaky in a lot of instances.

I also had Bobby's back up until this season when he lost me trying to be a complete pitcher despite his great curve & fastball. I didn't like the goatee when he first grew it and I didn't like that he didn't seem to care about his conditioning, but I still really liked Bobby Jenks. The problem is, it doesn't even seem to be a physical issue so much as a he-refuses-to-use-his-good-pitches issue that has me absolutely disgusted with a guy I thought would blow down the Sox all time save record.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)

Greg, you kill any good White Sox discussion this board has anymore.

Good discussion is not simply bashing the goat of the day after every loss.

It's official, you have to be his dad.

I'm not sure I can even respond anymore, Greg. I mean, even you have to realize that your defense of Jenks (which is fine...everyone is entitled to their opinions) is way above and beyond your defense of any other player.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
How do posts like this and the response to it "add to the discussion" on here.

People who say I'm killing the discussion need to look around.

It's hard to have a discussion with you because all you do is b**** about how we complain about Jenks.

HOW THE f*** CAN WE NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT HIM? I'm still pissed that we're only 2 games up instead of 4 because Jenks forgot how to pitch.

HE'S GOTTEN ONE f***ING OUT IN HIS PAST TWO SAVE OPPORTUNITIES. ONE f***ING OUT. And that out wasn't even a real out, Ichiro sacrificed himself. You tell me how you have any kind of leverage to blame us for b****ing about him.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 02:46 PM)
It's hard to have a discussion with you because all you do is b**** about how we complain about Jenks.

HOW THE f*** CAN WE NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT HIM? I'm still pissed that we're only 2 games up instead of 4 because Jenks forgot how to pitch.

HE'S GOTTEN ONE f***ING OUT IN HIS PAST TWO SAVE OPPORTUNITIES. ONE f***ING OUT. And that out wasn't even a real out, Ichiro sacrificed himself. You tell me how you have any kind of leverage to blame us for b****ing about him.

According to greg, the family emergency was just too big a obstacle for Bobby to overcome. He's scarred for life now.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 02:52 PM)
Greg, I have a question, and don't take it the wrong way because I'm not trying to be sarcastic or make fun of you, this is a serious question. Are you on some sort of drugs?

I'm starting to believe what qwerty hinted at. This has got to be some kinda act by greg. He's like the most popular person here yet he drives everybody nuts.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 02:50 PM)
According to greg, the family emergency was just too big a obstacle for Bobby to overcome. He's scarred for life now.

I think that might be a possible factor in why he's so bad right now. But not because he's scared or anything. He's just not sharp. Being away too long might have messed with his mechanics.