Teahen cleared for baseball activity...

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
For the long term, yes that makes the most sense for his development.

For winning games...sending away Kotsay and replacing him with Teahen makes the most sense.

If the sox aren't going to add a position player, sending away Dayan is the move to make. From most of the public comments, they want to keep the team intact. They know there are weak links that could be replaced and have been lobbying to keep Kotsay--esp. Konerko and Ozzie. Ozzie publicly gushes when Kotsay hits the ball hard and goes 0-for in the post game interviews. It also tells the players that it's all on them. It worked in '05 and they may not want to mess with the "chemistry" that the players have talked about.

IMO, the time to move Kotsay was back when Nix was DFA'd. Now it' almost a moot point. Kotsay could get hot for the last 2 months, like he did last year. This is just as likely as the sox making a move for a player and them hitting below expectations. If Kotsay doesn't produce, then a guy like Teahen or Jones would get more AB's.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:32 AM)
Thing is, we're stuck seeing Teahen. Same deal as Linebrink. Sox are paying them so they got to be on the team.

I wouldn't mind Teahen if he just replaces Kotsay and his at bats.

Can't imagine Oz getting rid of Kotsay though. He appears to love him. Viciedo is the guy who is gonna get sent down though I wish it was Lillibridge if I had to pick between those two (I'm assuming Oz has to have Kotsay and Jones both).

Fresh start for Teahen as a utility player might just get him off to a good roll. He will be strong,clearly,down the stretch,and if he could get hot hitting, he can really fill in for several guys...for Kotsay, for Beckham,for Omar... Geoff Blum 2.0? If the Sox stand pat, then Teahen and/or Kotsay have got to hit ....it seems like we only face right handed starters these days and we need something from the left side.

QUOTE (Hawk09 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 09:31 AM)
...it seems like we only face right handed starters these days and we need something from the left side.

Part of that is that the LH batters we have in our lineup were terrible for the last week. Kotsay had a walk against Oakland, AJ was awful, Pierre's been in a slump. All 3 of them had better days yesterday.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 01:21 PM)
Teahen is not a good outfielder.

He'd be really hard pressed to be a worse outfielder than CQ. Plus, DHing CQ might help out with his health issues, and this scenario takes a lot of at bats away from Kotsay and Andruw Jones.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

If we don't get a big bat at the deadline, Teahen should go play RF and bat 6th.

In 2007, Teahen played 137 games in right and had a UZR of +9. Unfortunately, ever since, in 124 games, his UZR there has been -13.

So yeah, kind of a mixed bag, but all I know is that those numbers are much better than Quentin's.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 01:29 PM)
But Quentin is a really bad one. If Teahen is even marginally better, then DH Quentin.

UZR updates came out today. Quentin's now at an awesome -17.6.

I'd rather have Brad Hawpe out there.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 01:31 PM)
UZR updates came out today. Quentin's now at an awesome -17.6.

I'd rather have Brad Hawpe out there.

I still contend he's better than Dye in his last year or two here, but that's sort of a stupid argument anyway, as they are both bad outfielders.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicagowhite-sox/p...ehab-assignment

Teahen to start rehab assignment

July, 31, 2010 Jul 315:19PM By Doug PadillaMark Teahen, who has been out since May 31 with a fractured right middle finger, will begin a rehab assignment at Triple-A Charlotte on Saturday night.

The move puts Teahen's recorvery at least a little ahead of schedule since he didn't expect to be playing minor-league games until the White Sox started their upcoming road trip Tuesday.

He was batting a disappointing .255 when he was injured, but appeared to be coming around offensively with 11 hits in his last 12 games, going 14-for-38 (.368) over that stretch.

Teahen fractured his finger May 30 fielding a ground ball against the Tampa Bay Rays. The injury required surgery.

Charlotte is at home Saturday night against Rochester.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 06:41 AM)
Sending Viciedo down when Teahen is ready makes the most sense. He can get some consistent AB's in AAA for most of Aug. and come back in Sept.

Yes...sending down a hot hitter who's hitting .333 while up and clearly raking over a couple of overpaid and pathetic hitting bench players...I can completely see the rational.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 01:59 AM)
Getting Teahen back and having him DH against righties will be huge for the Sox, imo. He can also play some RF and obviously do a little bit better defensively than Dayan at 3B.

First of all, I'm not as high on Teahen as you might be.

But second of all, Oz is not going to DH him against righties. It's Kotsay's job. Oz worships Kotsay and probably figures intangibles wise that he's a reason we are in first (soon to be in second I'm afraid, though).

There needs to be more outrage from the fan base about Kotsay. There is no reason he should be on this roster when Teahen returns. I'm at the point where I want him to get booed for every AB at home. I will be livid if Viciedo or Lillibridge get sent down so that his inept, washed up ass can stay here and continue to provide no contribution whatsoever.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)
There needs to be more outrage from the fan base about Kotsay. There is no reason he should be on this roster when Teahen returns. I'm at the point where I want him to get booed for every AB at home. I will be livid if Viciedo or Lillibridge get sent down so that his inept, washed up ass can stay here and continue to provide no contribution whatsoever.

In Kotsay's defense, it's not his job to make roster decisions, and he's not going to just say "send me down please". It's KW and Ozzie's fault (who knows which one decides honestly) that Kotsay is still here. It's an absolute joke too, and will be an even bigger one when Teahen returns.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
In Kotsay's defense, it's not his job to make roster decisions, and he's not going to just say "send me down please". It's KW and Ozzie's fault (who knows which one decides honestly) that Kotsay is still here. It's an absolute joke too, and will be an even bigger one when Teahen returns.

There are no opportunities to boo Ozzie so you have to just boo his decision just like we did for Wise on opening day last season.

I semi-joked about this with Jason earlier, but didn't Kotsay used to be injury prone? That's really our only hope.

there is ZERO justification for keeping Kotsay on the team when Teahen comes back. NONE. Lillibridge and Viciedo bring so much more to this team right now...

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)
The more I think about it and thanks to Kalapse I think, Torres will be called up to pitch the DH, Viciedo will be send down, and after the Torres gets sent back down, Teahen will be back.

Torres up --> Viciedo down --> Torres down --> Sale up --> Teahen back --> ???