White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
I'll re-state what I posted earlier before the thread got moved and the index got screwed up...

My prediction: Sox send a so-so prospect, not a team top 10, to LAD, and take on most but not all of Manny's remaining salary.

Hopefully by the end of today so that we can see him in the lineup tomorrow.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
I'd like to think they are honoring Thomas for his performance and his class. He is praised throughout baseball and rightly so, for accomplishing his feats, without steroids.

If Manny is here the same night Frank is honored ... that will be hilarious.

Why are the Dodgers so eager to get rid of Manny? I thought less than a year ago he was king of LA?

I hoipe this is just for a month and the bum is gone after that.

What happens if helps carry the Sox to a WS title??? You don't let other posters say anything bad about Pods, Crede, Dye, etc. because they won a WS title here. Would you still call him a bum if he was World Series MVP?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
My prediction: Sox send a so-so prospect, not a team top 10, to LAD, and take on most but not all of Manny's remaining salary.

And that'd be perfect. I couldn't be more excited right now, this better happen.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
So the White Sox are going to add a guy who has hair that violates team rules from what I read.

And they are going to have a guy on the team who used roids on a day we are honoring Big Hurt.

Mockery.

Who the hell cares? Ends justify means, esp if it means winning more baseball games.

By the way...something worth pointing out. Any trade has to be completed by Tuesday, right? Wednesday is the day the rosters expand. so I think someone would have to be sent down or DL'd to clear the roster spot for him on Tuesday...which is only important in that the person sent down couldn't be called back up when the rosters expand.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 01:17 PM)
Still think our DH will be Kotsay/ManRam.

No way Kotsay doesn't see at least 8 ABs a week.

This is Manny Ramirez we are talking about, he of the .934 OPS against righthanded pitchers this year and earning $4 million dollars next month Ramirez'. He will NOT be platooning with Mark Kotsay of all people.

QUOTE (bobryansson @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
1. Is there any way LA says to just take him and the remaining $4mil?

2. Besides the cheating, he also quit on his team. Quit.

3. Is the rumor that he wanted a year added to his contract still alive? I'd hate to see that happen.

1. Yes. That's entirely plausible.

3. It's been denied, but there's no reason that the denial couldn't be wrong, or that ManRam couldn't have a change of heart.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 08:20 PM)
What happens if helps carry the Sox to a WS title??? You don't let other posters say anything bad about Pods, Crede, Dye, etc. because they won a WS title here. Would you still call him a bum if he was World Series MVP?

How the hell do I know? I can't predict the future.

I do know that White Sox fans have never disappointed me in the past except with the ridiculous booing of certain players, which truthfully, didn't last long.

I would hope our great fans would love Manny's contributions in such a case but also realize he wasn't the sole reason for the WS title.

If we were to go that far, there would be some major pitching heroes and bullpen heroes and clutch hitting heroes, likely guys like Rios, Beckham and Lexi and Paulie coming through time after time in big games.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
I'd like to think they are honoring Thomas for his performance and his class. He is praised throughout baseball and rightly so, for accomplishing his feats, without steroids.

If Manny is here the same night Frank is honored ... that will be hilarious.

Why are the Dodgers so eager to get rid of Manny? I thought less than a year ago he was king of LA?

I hoipe this is just for a month and the bum is gone after that.

They are not honoring him for his class.....the organization and he clashed on may occasions they are honoring him because he hit the s*** out of the ball that is all.

I am a huge Thomas fan and love all that he did but he was not a poster boy for the organization. The media and team hated him...he also wanted Belle on the team over Bonds when Bonds was clean.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
This is Manny Ramirez we are talking about, he of the .934 OPS against righthanded pitchers this year and earning $4 million dollars next month Ramirez'. He will NOT be platooning with Mark Kotsay of all people.

The one thing to remember...Manny's had less than 200 PA's this season for a reason. Even at DH...they may baby him somewhat to try to keep him healthy. Especially with an expanded roster.

I seriously doubt that playing him 30 straight games at DH is in the cards.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
First of all...the idea that there's any other reason he would be on a women's fertility drug other than coming down off a full steroid cycle is 100% ridiculous and really you look bad every time you say it.

Secondly, he was reportedly a positive test in the 2003 runs as well.

Now you can tell me it doesn't bother you, that you'll cheer for him anyway, whatever. I can respect that opinion. Just don't pretend it didn't happen.

Maybe its just Manny being a Tranny?

QUOTE (bobryansson @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)
1. Is there any way LA says to just take him and the remaining $4mil?

2. Besides the cheating, he also quit on his team. Quit.

3. Is the rumor that he wanted a year added to his contract still alive? I'd hate to see that happen.

2. He needs to impress other teams to get a bigger contract for next season, I wouldnt worry about that.