White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 08:00 PM)
BNightengale

#mlb #whitesox #dodgers Dodgers trying to decide whether to take 3B prospect Jon Gilmore and pay chunk of Manny's salary or take the cash

4 minutes ago via web

Ha!! I called that one, even if it doesn't happen.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
So would Flowers. My money's still on Gilmore.
Edited by JPN366

The only thing I'll say is that we could have had Johnny Damon for 1/2 the season for the same price (pro-rated) we're going to pay Ramirez.

(That's assuming we just paid Damon $8 million in the offseason...or Guerrero, or whoever).

90 days of Damon

The ONLY advantage we have is the head to head match-up with Minnesota at home, where that SHOULD favor us to take 2/3. However, a sweep really feels imperative, like the Twins did to us in 2008 when they were down by 2 1/2 and left with a one-half game lead when Jenks blew the Carlos Gomez for HOF game.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 09:04 PM)
Rios has really hurt them in the three spot of late. Besides, you don't pay somebody $4M a month to bat 5 or 6.

Rios batting 3rd was a big mistake and continues to be.

Manny's presence puts him down further in the lineup and may make him productive again

Manny is coming back to the league he's knows and is going from an airport to a launching pad.

He'll improve the offense but it's the middle relief that needs to be addressed.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 10:01 PM)
Ha!! I called that one, even if it doesn't happen.

I will definitely give you your props, though I find it odd a prospects name was leaked. Glad he's sticking around though. I would hate to see a former 1st rounder (no matter who likes him or not or if the 1st round is just a "title" though Atlanta's scouting is no joke) being dealt for possibly one month of Manny.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 10:55 PM)
I'm honestly surprised Kenny is bringing a player with the type of attitude Manny has here... but if it leads us to a Division title, I will be happy with it. I guess it's just a month, right?

It reeks of desperation, in a good way, if that makes any sense. To me, it shows KW knows the window is closing soon.

Weird to think that if you would have told me in May the White Sox would be picking up Manny to stay in the race I would have laughed in your face.

QUOTE (EMONEY @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 07:47 PM)
Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. The two worst things in sports are cheaters and quitters. Manny's been verified as both. I can't believe KW is bringing that garbage to the South Side. Since I live in Colorado and can't do it myself, I'm paying for one of my friends to go to a game just to boo Manny for me

I respect this post as well. Hey if you don't like him, there should be no poster here questioning that. It is perfectly understandable. You, Balta, Dick Allen etc.. I respect alot through all this. There were posters here who ripped Bonds when some of us wanted him here years ago, and now all of a sudden love Manny even though he isn't any different except less of an overall douche. Be consistent with your posting... love him or hate him, no flip-flopping. He will be here, so said posters will cheer for the sox and Manny even if you boo him every time he steps to the plate and contributes.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 10:34 PM)
I respect this post as well. Hey if you don't like him, there should be no poster here questioning that. It is perfectly understandable. You, Balta, Dick Allen etc.. I respect alot through all this. There were posters here who ripped Bonds when some of us wanted him here years ago, and now all of a sudden love Manny even though he isn't any different except less of an overall douche. Be consistent with your posting... love him or hate him, no flip-flopping. He will be here, so said posters will cheer for the sox and Manny even if you boo him every time he steps to the plate and contributes.

I'm not one to hate Barry Bonds, but I do think they are different, other than Bonds being a more of an "overall douche." I'm not sure what Manny's level of PED use was, but I'm fairly certain it does not approach the level of Bond's use. And that's not to judge Bonds or Manny, but to say they are the same, in terms of what they have done to ensure success on the baseball field, I think is incorrect.

The AP story I just read said we still may have to give up a player or two as well as pay several million dollars. WTF.

I'm against bringing him in, but if we are, no sense dwelling on what's done.

Hopefully he can change our mojo of late and we'll play better on this road trip.

He has a chance to start anew with us for this month. Hopefully it'll just be the next two months in a Sox uniform and that's it.

This taken from the AP story:

"The dreadlocked outfielder is batting .311 with eight homers and 40 RBIs in 66 games in 2010."

That doesn't sound like a savior to me.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 11:45 PM)
The AP story I just read said we still may have to give up a player or two as well as pay several million dollars. WTF.

Hopefully he can change our mojo of late and we'll play better on this road trip.

He has a chance to start anew with us for this month. Hopefully it'll just be the next two months in a Sox uniform and that's it.

"The dreadlocked outfielder is batting .311 with eight homers and 40 RBIs in 66 games in 2010."

19 hr/98 rbi over 162 games w/ an OPS over .900, in a lineup that offers him little protection

part of me wonders how CQ could benefit with manny behind him

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 10:45 PM)

We're not giving up any players, from what I understand. Just paying his salary.

Secondly, he's not the savior. He's a middle of the order bat that hopefully can offset some of our pitching inadequacies right now.

Thirdly, I'm hoping this gives un an inroads into possibly signing him next year for less than what might otherwise be the case if he was not playing here for the last thirtysome odd games.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 09:53 PM)
Rios batting 3rd was a big mistake and continues to be.

I don't think it was a mistake...he was one of our best hitters for a quite a while and produced there up until lately. Who would you have put there?!?...Carlos? With Manny here now he definitely should be moved to the 5 spot IMO...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 11:45 PM)

His .915 OPS would be 2nd on this team right now, behind only Paul Konerko.

Maybe not a savior, but a big part of this team in the last month.

I'm excited. Manny is statistically one of the best hitters of my generation, so obviously it's going to be fun to watch. Hopefully he stays motivated since he "wants" to play in Chicago. And I'm also for the idea of signing him to a 1-2 year deal as a DH. It'd probably pay for itself in ticket sales. Either way, I think Kenny made a good move with this one.

Go read Passon's article on Yahoo. Manny is quite a bum.

Great line in the article:

Business must be good for White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf to flush $4.3 million down the toilet.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 01:40 AM)
Go read Passon's article on Yahoo. Manny is quite a bum.

Great line in the article:

Business must be good for White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf to flush $4.3 million down the toilet.

He'll earn around $3.5 million of that in performance alone if he hits like he did with LA this year.

This isn't necessarily a bad move financially.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 10:55 PM)
I'm honestly surprised Kenny is bringing a player with the type of attitude Manny has here... but if it leads us to a Division title, I will be happy with it. I guess it's just a month, right?

Its kind of hard to think of his attitude as a problem with the production he has put up over his career.. its not like hes Milton Bradley or something.. if you look at Mannys career numbers, even if was half assing it at some points, those are still superior numbers to many high end players in this league..