O. Guillen loves him some Kotsay, so removal is out of the equation

macsandz

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_cws

"Personally, the numbers out there for Kotsay [are not what] he deserves.

"You can ask his teammates, you can ask [hitting coach] Greg Walker. He should have better numbers than what he has. "

What the hell is this?! This is a game production, or you're replaced. So Kotsay deserves to be a better hitter? The team deserves to have him deliver better stats. The Sox deserve to win the World Series this season. Maybe Ozzie can convince the rest of baseball.

Edited by bucket-of-suck

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it funny he said this, yet ripped Nick Swisher when he was here for almost the same thing. (clubhouse stuff didn't come out till after he was traded and I still don't even buy all of that) You wanna talk about "luck" Ozzie? Swisher had the worst luck in a season that I've ever seen a white sox hitter have in quite some time, yet you had no trouble keeping it real with him sucking.

On another note, looks like Dayan WILL PLAY tomorrow.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 11:48 PM)
I find it funny he said this, yet ripped Nick Swisher when he was here for almost the same thing. (clubhouse stuff didn't come out till after he was traded and I still don't even buy all of that) You wanna talk about "luck" Ozzie? Swisher had the worst luck in a season that I've ever seen a white sox hitter have in quite some time, yet you had no trouble keeping it real with him sucking.

On another note, looks like Dayan WILL PLAY tomorrow.

Why? Did Kotsay allow him to play tomorrow? Or is Kotsay going to DH, and Viciedo will play 3B?

I just thought I would play Devil's Advocate, Ozzie style.

We've lost 13 games since June 9th.

Kotsay hasn't played in four of those games (June 13th, July 16th, July 25th and July 31st).

Therefore, he can't be blamed for those losses.

In those 9 losses which he could have had an effect on, he went 5/28 but deserved better, hit a number of line drives and balls to the warning track that MIGHT have gone out in SOME MLB stadiums had the win been blowing out with gale force wins.

However, he only came up two times with RISP during our entire stretch of 37-13 ball (that's right, with Mark Kotsay on the active roster, we're winning 74% of our games over a 50 game stretch!!!! Conclusion, if he's NOT on the roster, we won't play very well, and perhaps the prophecies foretold in the movie 2012 will come to pass as White Sox fans will have to stock up with survival gear, gas masks and a year's supply of Mike and Ike's...basically, if KW took Kotsay off the roster, it would be like Armageddon and December 31st, 1999 all over again.)

On June 28th against KC, he pinch hit with runners on 2nd and 3rd and only one out against the Royals when we were trailing 3-1 and popped out. That hurt, although Alexei also didn't come through. And you can't really expect a pinch hitter to come through more than once every 4 AB's, right?

On July 18th, with Quentin on 2nd base after a double against the Twins, he failed to move him. Of course, let's just blame that game on Bobby Jenks, right? Because any lead against the Twins in Minnesota is pretty safe, yes? We didn't really need some insurance runs! And there's no more MetroDoom jinx anymore...the Piranhas are almost all dead.

On July 21st, he went 0/3 against the Mariners, but that's another one we can pin on Jenks, the game we came back to lead against Felix Hernandez (Vizquel RBI), only to have Jenks blow it once again.

We lost to the A's on the 24th, but Mark actually got on base in front of Castro's homer, we lost 10-2, so you can't blame Mark there, either.

And then against Bonderman this week, that's a Hawkeroo "hang wiff 'em" right?

Conclusion, Mark Kotsay was 0 for 2 with RISP during 9 losses in the span of almost 2 months, he really didn't hurt us that much. In fact, Bobby Jenks had more of a negative effect than Kotsay. If we had reliable closer, we'd still be 4 1/2 games ahead of the Twins.

Conlusion 2, more fans come to games to see Mark's wife in the scout seats when he's on the team, thus creating another revenue stream...and Lisa Dergan had to be replaced somehow.

Edited by caulfield12

It really has become amazing how much Ozzie has let his fondness of a guy affect his judgement of the guy as a player. I would completly understand if Kotsay was somewhat consistent day-to-day but the guy legitly blows. It has gotten to the point IMO that KW NEEDS to step in! We are in a pennant chase for god sake and these games matter NOW. Morneau is out, Mauer was. This is an opp. To gain ground for when we play head to head (which doesn't usually go out way against the twinks). A designated HITTER with a line of:

HR RBI TB OBP SLG AVG

6 21 80 .298 .338 .215

Is ridiculous! 21 RBI, .298 OBP, come on OZ I know your a smart manager, please prove it.

My favorite part of the article:

"You can ask his teammates, you can ask [hitting coach] Greg Walker. He should have better numbers than what he has. He went through tough times with people making plays on him. That happens all year long. I'm not making an excuse. He swings the bat good. He's hitting tough luck from the beginning."

That sure as hell sounds like a excuse to me Oswaldo. Every player hits the ball hard to people time time, it's still an out and Kotsay is the King of hard outs, but that doesn't mean he is or will be effective.

"He swings the bat good" -- I swing the "bat good" but admitely can't hit or make good contact in the majors or any MLB affiliate. We need a guy that "HITS the ball good," big difference. We need production not hard outs. It's time to get over your man crush and give Kotsay his walking papers like most teams would have already.

Sorry this is my first Kotsay rant. At this point it is frustrating, other people can and should be benifiting from the DH postion; Quentin for sure, Paulie, Omar, and even Ramon Castro.But mostly Viciedo should be getting his at bats (although Sox say he needs the routine of a position player, hell of a routine he gets sitting 5 days a week). The Swish comparison is perfect and it is bs OZ is still doing this in AUGUST

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

It's official. Kotsay is the biggest whipping boy in Soxtalk history. I hope you guys are still able to enjoy the season with Kotsay on the brain, seemingly in every thread.

I've never seen anything like this. Good thing I am not in favor of playing Kotsay and don't like him as well or I'd finally be banned for good. I mean we all dislike Kotsay and everybody knows we all dislike Kotsay so should the Kotsay posts slow down? It sure ain't pursuading Oz to bench him.

Edited by greg775

I think all the "hoopla" over Kotsay is it mystifies us how OZ is so oblivious to his lack of production. I think we as Sox fans are smart baseball people and can judge a vet like Kotsay and determine what his role is and it ain't a DH. I think what makes this such a compelling (for lack of a better word) topic is why and what Kotsay does to make OZ so loyal when he has thrown others under the bus for lesser slumps (Swish, Dye, GB, even Quentin a few times) in the media and benched all of them for day(s).

It is just mind boggling. IMO

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 12:01 AM)

Kotsay hasn't played in four of those games (June 13th, July 16th, July 25th and July 31st).

In those 9 losses which he could have had an effect on, he went 5/28 but deserved better, hit a number of line drives and balls to the warning track that MIGHT have gone out in SOME MLB stadiums had the win been blowing out with gale force wins.

However, he only came up two times with RISP during our entire stretch of 37-13 ball (that's right, with Mark Kotsay on the active roster, we're winning 74% of our games over a 50 game stretch!!!! Conclusion, if he's NOT on the roster, we won't play very well, and perhaps the prophecies foretold in the movie 2012 will come to pass as White Sox fans will have to stock up with survival gear, gas masks and a year's supply of Mike and Ike's...basically, if KW took Kotsay off the roster, it would be like Armageddon and December 31st, 1999 all over again.)

On June 28th against KC, he pinch hit with runners on 2nd and 3rd and only one out against the Royals when we were trailing 3-1 and popped out. That hurt, although Alexei also didn't come through. And you can't really expect a pinch hitter to come through more than once every 4 AB's, right?

On July 18th, with Quentin on 2nd base after a double against the Twins, he failed to move him. Of course, let's just blame that game on Bobby Jenks, right? Because any lead against the Twins in Minnesota is pretty safe, yes? We didn't really need some insurance runs! And there's no more MetroDoom jinx anymore...the Piranhas are almost all dead.

On July 21st, he went 0/3 against the Mariners, but that's another one we can pin on Jenks, the game we came back to lead against Felix Hernandez (Vizquel RBI), only to have Jenks blow it once again.

We lost to the A's on the 24th, but Mark actually got on base in front of Castro's homer, we lost 10-2, so you can't blame Mark there, either.

Conclusion, Mark Kotsay was 0 for 2 with RISP during 9 losses in the span of almost 2 months, he really didn't hurt us that much. In fact, Bobby Jenks had more of a negative effect than Kotsay. If we had reliable closer, we'd still be 4 1/2 games ahead of the Twins.

Conlusion 2, more fans come to games to see Mark's wife in the scout seats when he's on the team, thus creating another revenue stream...and Lisa Dergan had to be replaced somehow.

Nice breakdown. Kotsay has not hurt the Sox nearly as bad as percieved,despite hitting into bad luck for months.

I would also contend that getting PK off the field may be worth Kotsays bad hitting. PK is healthier and fresher than he usually is this time of year...could be luck,but could be Kotsay!

I hope that Ozzie gets the payoff and Kotsay's BABIP normalizes over the last two months,which would mean he would hit about .400

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 12:48 AM)

No matter what BABIP says, I don't buy that Swisher was unlucky in 2008, and I don't buy that Kotsay is unlucky now. Weak popups to the 2b and weak groundouts to the 2b sometimes don't just happen by chance. A guy can have a terrible approach at the plate, be out of shape or old, and get the exact same results of a low BABIP.

Swisher stank in 2008 and it wasn't bad luck that he kept popping out, and Kotsay isn't unlucky to keep grounding out.

QUOTE (Hawk09 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 07:34 AM)
Nice breakdown. Kotsay has not hurt the Sox nearly as bad as percieved,despite hitting into bad luck for months.

I would also contend that getting PK off the field may be worth Kotsays bad hitting. PK is healthier and fresher than he usually is this time of year...could be luck,but could be Kotsay!

I hope that Ozzie gets the payoff and Kotsay's BABIP normalizes over the last two months,which would mean he would hit about .400

TEAHEN CAN DO THAT JOB.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 12:01 AM)

Thanks for going through the trouble of looking all of that up but it's pretty much meaningless. You throw a Dunn or someone of that caliber into the mix and the entire dynamic of the offense changes. During that time span Dunn would have hit about 7 HRs. The starting pitcher would have a lot more pressure situation pitches throughout the lineup. Just think of facing Rios, Konerko, Dunn, and Quentin all in a row. You can't tell me that doesn't change everything.

Having Kotsay bat 5th after our sluggers is like having our pitcher bat. It's a sigh of relief for the opposition and usually ends up not extending an inning.

Edited by BigSqwert

I wish our manager wasn't such an idiot in certain regards. It would really be in the best interest of this team if Kotsay did what he usually does and suffered an injury (not wishing it on him, but it's a fact it would help the team). However, it's pretty clear that, of course, he picked this year to stay healthy.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

That was the bottom of the ninth, bases loaded, down 2. His inability to get a hit directly affected the loss.

If he knocks in Quentin, its a 4-run lead, maybe we have a big inning, or at the least a different reliever comes in and doesn't blow it. All Kotsay's fault.

We couldn't score any runs for 10 innings, and the guy who is designated to hit the ball couldnt get a hit. If he did, maybe we score earlier and the game ends up differently. Kotsay's fault again.

Those two weren't his fault, but that's 3 games that can be blamed directly on Mark Kotsay's inability to hit a baseball.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 09:39 AM)
Upon Teahen's return, Kotsay should become pointless. Ozzie is a wily bastard, but he's not a complete idiot is he?

Wait... he did lead off Dweezy for awhile.

speaking of returns, the original wily bastard is back!

Anyone friends with Scott Reifert on Facebook? Some idiot just said this on his status that included today's lineup....

This is in response to why Kotsay is on this team still....

"Because he is such a versatile backup. He wasn't acquired a year ago to be the everyday left-handed DH. It just happened to fall that way. He is a good lefty pinch hitter, can play the outfield and is a very good first baseman to spell Konerko.

And he is, from all accounts, one of the best leaders in the clubhouse.

Batting average doesn't mean everything . . . . . . . ."