Sox @ Royals, Sox @ Royals, 8/21 x 2

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like doubleheaders much either, but if this team stays motivated anything can happen. I wqould hope the Sox look at Edwin Jackson for one of those games or do some rearranging of the starters as they did have the off day as well as one on Monday so they should be rested

QUOTE (DaveBrown85 @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
Are they having a classic double header because it's supposed to be hot in KC today? Because otherwise it makes no sense to me

It's cuz of Fox's Saturday monopoly. MLB has the silliest broadcasting rights situation.

This has all the makings of a disaster...

I love Coop but his 2nd half schedule is f***ing us over. The 1st double header with Torres, just so Freddy could start against the Twins and get shellacked.... And now this DH with more than likely Pena starting? Yeeesh. I said it in the previous game thread, but this babying of pitchers is ridiculous. can't believe Jackson doesnt have the mental capacity to go "Screw it, it was only 7 pitches, lemme start Game 2" Yes Joe West did f*** us, but Edwin was probably going to throw all those warm up pitches before the game anyway since the rain hadn't started falling.

We're in a playoff hunt, and we're gonna start Tony Pena?

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)

I love Coop but his 2nd half schedule is f***ing us over. The 1st double header with Torres, just so Freddy could start against the Twins and get shellacked.... And now this DH with more than likely Pena starting? Yeeesh. I said it in the previous game thread, but this babying of pitchers is ridiculous. can't believe Jackson doesnt have the mental capacity to go "Screw it, it was only 7 pitches, lemme start Game 2" Yes Joe West did f*** us, but Edwin was probably going to throw all those warm up pitches before the game anyway since the rain hadn't started falling.

First, I don't get the Coop blame in all this. Not his fault Joe West got his revenge.

Second, how is Edwin a p**** in all this? He did try to make his case to pitch today, even though he knew he probably wouldn't be allowed to. And now the latest news is that the Royals have been informed that Jackson will be pitching the 2nd game of the doubleheader, so it looks like he won the argument.

"When you're in a situation like that, you're pretty much fighting a losing battle," Jackson said of trying to plead his case to start one of the games Saturday. "I don't think there are too many managers in the league who are going to let you warm up, start the game and come back and finish it."
Edited by The Ginger Kid

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 07:28 PM)

A) Edwin wanted to start today but management wouldn't let him

B) Before we count these two games as loses, let's watch the games and see.

I'd say Freddy is capable of turning it around and Pena is capable of throwing a quality start

C) Cooper made the right decission setting the rotation up considering the match ups and carrer stats.

Whatever happened to the old Sunday doubheader? They had getaway days back then, too.

Murphy's Law dictates a lot of baseball, and little sleep, in a short period of time.

6:10 start of Game One. Let's say it's 3:30 game like many AL games, it ends at 9:40. Game Two starts at 10.

Game Two ends at 1:30 a.m.

Tomorrow's game is 1 p.m.

Sox get to hotel at 2:30, assuming they don't drink, go to bed by 3.

Sox wake up at 8 to get to ballpark by 9.

Wow. Maximum sleep is five hours if all goes well. Extra innings?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
White flag weekend.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
If Garcia s***s the bed in Game 1, we're f***ed for Game 2.

This could be season ending tonight.

Yeah seriously. If Garcia gets shelled in game 1, we could be 7 out of first by the end of the weekend, after which we would need to seriously consider moving guys like Konerko, Vizquel, and Putz on waivers. IMO Putz is going to get a big contract this offseason, and it's not going to be from the White Sox.

Edited by Elgin Slim

The whole warmup process is a lot more than 7 pitches. It sucks they started the game, but it's the right thing to do not to start him tonight.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
Why the hell wouldn't Jackson pitch one of those? He threw 7 f***ing pitches wasn't it?? Its not like he was over worked there.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)
Yeah seriously. If Garcia gets shelled in game 1, we could be 7 out of first by the end of the weekend, after which we would need to seriously consider moving guys like Konerko, Vizquel, and Putz on waivers. IMO Putz is going to get a big contract this offseason, and it's not going to be from the White Sox.

I'd bet money all of those guys have been on the wire already. All teams waive everyone at some point. Teams that are wanting to make moves are much more aggresive about it to mask players that could be moved.