GreatScott82

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 03:25 AM)
First of all, there's no way that KW should trade Pierre unless we have ANOTHER option for leadoff, and Mitchell's probably 18 months away...and, at this point, we're far from certain if he can be an ideal leadoff hitter. Maybe.

Is there a more overrated category (as far as hitters) in baseball?

Edited by J.Reedfan8

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)
I am not an AJ fan but who replaces him?

Also Quentin has zero value as a trade option now so it is best to hang on to him.

I think if AJ goes Danks is part of a deal for a catcher.

I think they keep him only because of handling pitchers.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 01:59 PM)
I'd like to see the Sox offer AJ a one year deal. He may or may not take it though.

I think he may hesitate at it...but I think he's going to find exactly as many chances to be a starting catcher next year as the Sox had potential trading partners for him back in June; basically zero.

We actually may need his lefthanded bat.

If we start Manny, Paulie, CQ, Lexi, Beckham, Rios, that's six of nine everyday players being righty.

Add Castro instead of AJ that's seven.

Add Tank or Omar that's eight.

That leaves Juan as the only lefty and he can't drive in a run to save his life.

Here's my fantasy offseason:

Let walk: Bobby Jenks, Freddy Garcia, AJ Pierzynski, Mark Kotsay, Manny Ramirez .

Resign Konerko if the price is right.

Resign: Andruw Jones, JJ Putz, Omar Vizquel

Trade: CQ, Floyd, Harrell or Threets, plus a midlevel position prospect For Prince Fielder (think that would get it done?)

Trade away Teahen for whatever we can get, and eat some contract if necessary.

sign: a decent OF FA like DeJesus, Kearns, or Thames

LINEUP:

lf pierre

ss ramirez

cf rios

DH/1B fielder

1B/DH Konerko

RF DeJesus/Kearns/Thames

2B Beckham

3B Visquel/Viciedo

C Castro/Flowers

BENCH:

Visquel/Vicedo

Morel

Castro/Flowers

Lillibridge

Jones/De Aza/Danks2

ROTATION:

Peavy

Danks

Jackson

Buerhle

Sale

BULLPEN:

Putz

Thornton

Linebrink

Pena

Threets/Harrell

Santos

Make Santos or Putz the closer

---

I think this is a good mix of getting solid guys we can have faith in and giving our young promising talent the opportunity to shine. If the young guys perform as a high-upside rookie should (with some rough patches but a lot of promise) I think that's a great team.

If Konerko doesn't sign, then add a 3B to the FA list (or hope Teahen has an epiphany and becomes good) and platoon Fielder & Viciedo at 1B/DH

QUOTE (typewritermender @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
Trade: CQ, Floyd, Harrell or Threets, plus a midlevel position prospect For Prince Fielder (think that would get it done?)

Quentin + Floyd might actually be enough to do that, I'm not sure...the righty is the guy the Brewers would want as the key part though.

Threets is, however, worthless in a trade, as it'll be 2012 before he's back to pitching after Tommy John surgery

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 02:50 PM)
We actually may need his lefthanded bat.

If we start Manny, Paulie, CQ, Lexi, Beckham, Rios, that's six of nine everyday players being righty.

Add Castro instead of AJ that's seven.

Add Tank or Omar that's eight.

That leaves Juan as the only lefty and he can't drive in a run to save his life.

I don't see Manny playing for the Sox next year. And Omar is a switch hitter, but I doubt he starts as many times next year.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
I don't see Manny playing for the Sox next year. And Omar is a switch hitter, but I doubt he starts as many times next year.

If Manny isn't on the White Sox, I think it's because he saw that the contract offers weren't there for him and retired.

I think they'll try to use Omar as much as this year, if not more. Whether his bat and body will be able to handle it who knows...but Ozzie will try.

Weird as this sounds, I actually like the way this team looks in 2011, with only a couple significant holes to fill.

Figure this...

LINEUP

Pierre, 7

Beckham, 4

Rios, 8

Konerko, 3/0 (I like the idea of signing him to a 2 year deal)

Viciedo, 0/3

Alexei, 6

AJP, 2 (I'd bet he signs a one year deal)

Morel, 5

?????, 9? (trade TCQ and one of Danks or Floyd for the best you can find)

BENCH

Castro, C (or Lucy)

Teahen, 1B/3B/RF/DH (with his lefty bat, try to get him in the lineup 5 days a week, somewhere)

Lillibridge, IF

???? Someone who can cover CF preferably, maybe De Aza, hard to say

ROTATION

Peavy

Sale

Jackson

Floyd/Danks

Buehrle

BULLPEN

Putz (to close)

Thornton

Linebrink*

Pena*

???? LOOGY, go get an FA or something

???? Either take a shot with Infante, or go get a strong arm somewhere in trade or market (prefer the latter)

???? long man, someone from our own system should do it

Really, the biggest need is an RF (preferably who hits left-handed), because I don't want to rely on TCQ. I'd try my best to trade him and Danks or Floyd for a corner OF. Then the next priority is one more solid bullpen arm. Try to trade Linebrink or Pena too if you can, but that may not be possible. After that, its all scrap pieces for a bullpen long man, and bench OF.

And yes, I think this is a good framework. The rotation looks fantastic, either as I stated it or with Sale to the pen and not trading Danks/Floyd. Bullpen has the right bones, needs one more strong arm and a LOOGY. Lineup looks good but needs some pop for corner OF - that should be the big move. I have some fear that its too right-handed, but most of those guys don't have highly unbalanced splits.

Flowers starts the year in AAA to get back on track, and be ready to step in whenever.

Yes I know, Viciedo, Morel and Sale is three rookies who may be rough around the edges. But I like what all three bring to the table, and this helps reduce salary to make room for whatever outfielder we acquire.

I just don't think this team needs a ton of changes, and I'd love to not have to trade away any of the few talented minor leaguers we have left.

ETA: Forgot to add, Vizquel either as utility IF (instead of Lilli) or infield coach

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 06:22 PM)
The reason I don't want to trade a starter is that I don't believe Peavy will be ready to go.

I want proof of health before I would consider moving another quality starter.

and even then...I'm still not convinced he'll last the season if he starts at 100%. Or that he will be back to his form from a few years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

DH

What do we do with the DH spot next year? Do we sign a free agent like Dunn? Do we attempt to make a trade for Prince or Adrian Gonzalez? Do we go with a cheaper option and go after H. Matsui or even re-sign Manny? One thing is for certain. . KW won't botch this up again.

1B

I think there is about a 65% chance that Konerko is going to re-sign. But lets say he does go to LA or Arizona to be closer to home, where to we go from there? Internally we have Viciedo. But honestly i don't think he's ready. Once again, i will bring up Prince or A. Gonzalez. Its going to be hard to replace Konerko's production but one of those 2 guys can definitley come close. The price will be steep to get one of these men, but it something we will need to look into.

3B

I love Omar and what he did for us this year, in fact i want back next year as a backup again. This year we need to look elsewhere. The Teahen experiment DID NOT work. The dude is not good in defensively and appears to be sliding even more offensively. I like this Morel kid and i believe we should give him a shot to develop. I LOVE his tools defensively and he has a decent swing. If the Sox aren't ready for him. I would love to sign Brandon Inge. I love his attitude and overall game. He is a great club house guy and wouldn't be too expensive.

C

I thought for sure we would be entering the Tyler Flower era in 2011. However, he struggled offensively and doesn't appear to be there just yet. Due to this, I would offer AJ a 1 year deal in which he would likely accept.

Trades

Many people believe the Sox will look into trading Quentin this year. I think it maybe the right move and the time to do so. What are your thoughts on a Quentin for David DeJesus straight up? The Royals are likely going to accept that 6 million club option and im sure they would love to take a chance on Quentin in exchange for DeJesus.

Rotation

Peavy, Buerhle, Floyd, Danks, Jackson, Sale

I hope the Sox keep the rotation as is and add Sale to it. Obviously Peavy will be a HUGE question mark so keeping Jackson and adding Sale will likely be essential.

What are your thoughts on the direction of this team?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 02:46 PM)
DH

A agree with most of what you laid out. Konerko re-signing would solve one big problem, that being 1B. As far as a DH, I can't see a big money name being plugged in there (Dunn, Fielder). I'd be okay with Matsui or even Manny. I can definitely see AJ re-signing, unless the Sox go after VMart, which I would no problem with.

Money will be the big issue, as it often is, during this off season. Unless some trades are made to free up money (and you have to wonder who would be traded), there won't be more than one big signing.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Konerko re-signs, my biggest concerns are DH and RF. The DH spot may be easier to fill. I don't really want to see Quentin out in RF again. I'd trade his power for a decent fielder and hit for average kind of guy. I just perused the list of 2011 free agent RFers, and there's not much there. I would expect Minnesota to exercise the option on Kubel (although he'd he a nice addition), and KC may exercise the option on DeJesus.

Knowing this team, I imagine a move or two will be made that no one expected. Let's hope that whatever happens, it works out better than this year.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)
DH

What do we do with the DH spot next year? Do we sign a free agent like Dunn? Do we attempt to make a trade for Prince or Adrian Gonzalez? Do we go with a cheaper option and go after H. Matsui or even re-sign Manny? One thing is for certain. . KW won't botch this up again.

1B

I think there is about a 65% chance that Konerko is going to re-sign. But lets say he does go to LA or Arizona to be closer to home, where to we go from there? Internally we have Viciedo. But honestly i don't think he's ready. Once again, i will bring up Prince or A. Gonzalez. Its going to be hard to replace Konerko's production but one of those 2 guys can definitley come close. The price will be steep to get one of these men, but it something we will need to look into.

3B

I love Omar and what he did for us this year, in fact i want back next year as a backup again. This year we need to look elsewhere. The Teahen experiment DID NOT work. The dude is not good in defensively and appears to be sliding even more offensively. I like this Morel kid and i believe we should give him a shot to develop. I LOVE his tools defensively and he has a decent swing. If the Sox aren't ready for him. I would love to sign Brandon Inge. I love his attitude and overall game. He is a great club house guy and wouldn't be too expensive.

C

I thought for sure we would be entering the Tyler Flower era in 2011. However, he struggled offensively and doesn't appear to be there just yet. Due to this, I would offer AJ a 1 year deal in which he would likely accept.

Trades

Many people believe the Sox will look into trading Quentin this year. I think it maybe the right move and the time to do so. What are your thoughts on a Quentin for David DeJesus straight up? The Royals are likely going to accept that 6 million club option and im sure they would love to take a chance on Quentin in exchange for DeJesus.

Rotation

Peavy, Buerhle, Floyd, Danks, Jackson, Sale

I hope the Sox keep the rotation as is and add Sale to it. Obviously Peavy will be a HUGE question mark so keeping Jackson and adding Sale will likely be essential.

DH There is a great chance KW botches this up again next year, if they revert to the approach of crying poor and going with another band-aid solution. As far as Dunn goes, a lot depends I think on whether the Nationals offer arbitration. Signing him is going to cost a ton of money, and a pick in the 16-19 range in the first round, it's definitely not worth it. And we've heard over and over again he doesn't want to DH exclusively.

Fielder and Adrian Gonzalez are simply not going to happen unless we traded Danks and Beckham to get them, plus more, like a Santos.

There's also simply no way we would give a $120-140 million dollar contract extension to Fielder.

3B Brandon Inge is Juan Uribe all over again, with a little Aaron Rowand mixed in. For as great as he can be defensively, he still makes a lot of errors. And check out his batting line from this season...very so-so for a corner INF. Better than Teahen, probably....but only if we could get him for $3-4 million per season, and just to satisfy Hawk's mancrush on him. He's one of those players like Anderson or Rowand that the fanbase seems to love more than his actual ability warrants.

C AJ has done fairly well down the stretch, he'll probably end up with more RBI's than he did in some of his much better OPS seasons. This will be an interesting decision. It would seem to be suicide for KW to bring in a rookie catcher who's far from polished in what might be the final season for this rotation to stay together and make a run.

The Royals wouldn't take Quentin for DeJesus. Forget that idea...before he got hurt, there were 5-10 clubs interested in trading for him. If we put Quentin on the open market, how many would want him? No NL teams, and that would leave him in the DH-only category for AL teams, and then teams who need a DH (like the Rays) and finally, teams who feel mentally he could handle this position switch in his 20's.

Sale is certainly not a slam dunk for the starting rotation next year. You'd like to think he would be ready by late May or early June...hopefully they don't have to rush him. Then there's the concern about how much velocity he'll lose off the FB as a starter, and how durable he'll be with that frame and his mechanics. From everything we've read, they do intend to make him a starter.

And there's obviously another KW/Ozzie "fault line" on Viciedo, with Ozzie recently making the comment he might be 1-2 years away. That seems a bit ridiculous. Can he be a full-time 1B and hit against righties and lefties? Maybe not...but for Ozzie to write him off, you know that's going to cause a huge rift with KW because the organization could have had Dunn (supposedly) if they included Viciedo at the deadline. And then Ozzie's going to refuse to play Dayan?

I think Kenny will try to save money and we will see Morel at 3B with a min salary, I also think Kenny will trade one of the starters and try to bring in a 1B/DH (pending what happens with Paulie), Quentin will remain a RF (yes i know), Kenny will then take a gamble on 5th starter ala 2010 Freddy Garcia hoping for a great half-season from some veteran/rejuvenation project having SALE in AAA waiting to take his spot. Or maybe this is what I would do.

I honestly wouldn't mind if they brought Freddy back. He was all you could as for out of the 5th starter slot for the majority of the year. That's probably all we'll need out of him next year with Sale waiting in the wings. Plus, he'll be able to build on the amount of innings he threw this year, as he was hurt and pitched so few innings for the previous couple of years.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
DH There is a great chance KW botches this up again next year, if they revert to the approach of crying poor and going with another band-aid solution. As far as Dunn goes, a lot depends I think on whether the Nationals offer arbitration. Signing him is going to cost a ton of money, and a pick in the 16-19 range in the first round, it's definitely not worth it. And we've heard over and over again he doesn't want to DH exclusively.

If he doesn't botch that up, he'll fill that need only to make another hole elsewhere. Getting a career DH sure cost a lot of money to fix that hole made in CF.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
If he doesn't botch that up, he'll fill that need only to make another hole elsewhere. Getting a career DH sure cost a lot of money to fix that hole made in CF.

Rowand has .642 OPS this season (following a .738 OPS last season). Even if KW hadn't traded for Thome, there would have been a hole in CF by this season if not before....and unless they had held on to Chris Young, it would have cost them a lot of money to fill that hole.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)

Aaron Rowand has had one good season since he left the Sox and is making a ton of money. I'm thrilled he isn't on the Sox.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
Aaron Rowand has had one good season since he left the Sox and is making a ton of money. I'm thrilled he isn't on the Sox.

Youre 100% right that I'm glad we didn't sign him to that contract. 2 points though just to kind of defend him a bit...first...he was still a lot better than what we got out of CF until this year...he was never a good fit for San Fran because his power was never likely to translate to that park. His career OPS in AT&T park is .702.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
One of Danks or Gavin are gonna be packaged this off season I think...

DH...I'd really hate spending that kind of money for somebody like Dunn.

It's gonna be a wild off season I think...

I think its a mistake to trade young pitching, its the fastest way back to the top of the division,but I agree they would probably at least explore what they could get for one of these guys. That may be all out the window with Floyd's injury.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
Rowand has .642 OPS this season (following a .738 OPS last season). Even if KW hadn't traded for Thome, there would have been a hole in CF by this season if not before....and unless they had held on to Chris Young, it would have cost them a lot of money to fill that hole.

I think Rowand had some "help" and got himself a huge contract. Let's just say he's a different player these days...

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Sep 21, 2010 -> 09:27 PM)
I think Rowand had some "help" and got himself a huge contract. Let's just say he's a different player these days...

A lot of that could be just the abuse his body has taken from his style of play. I don't get the need to connect every drop in production with roids.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Sep 20, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
One of Danks or Gavin are gonna be packaged this off season I think...

DH...I'd really hate spending that kind of money for somebody like Dunn.

It's gonna be a wild off season I think...

Early off season prediction:

Kenny packages Floyd for a new lefty bat. Someone like Matt Kemp sounds about right. Classic KW move.