Don't tease me Trib...

Wanne

10. Cardinals: Is this the end for La Russa? The Cubs' one-sided sweep last week in St. Louis left him uncharacteristically candid, calling the situation "troubling.'' The Cardinals were built to win over the short term but haven't responded to La Russa. He said last spring he wouldn't manage elsewhere if he left the Cardinals, but circumstances change. He would be a great choice for the Yankees or White Sox if they lost Girardi or Guillen, and he's being mentioned for the Mariners job, possibly with Whitey Herzog-style influence on personnel.

11. White Sox: Will Reinsdorf allow the Marlins to talk to Guillen, who is signed through 2012? He wouldn't have a year ago, but Guillen and his son Oney have been far too public about "White Sox business,'' as Williams calls it. Plus Reinsdorf might have a chance to take a mulligan for his 1986 firing of La Russa.

Don't get me wrong...I love Ozzie...but I'd take Tony any day of the week...and twice on Sundays. Anybody think there could be any merit to this fluff?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)

Im sure LaRussa forced him to drink and drive. Probably forced Darryl Kile to smoke weed too.

It is unfair, these are grown men who are responsible for themselves, LaRussa is responsible for what they do on the field, not off the field.

My Cardinals fan friend always b****es about how La Russa loves to use crappy players like Stavinhova, Mather, and Schumaker. Looks like every manager has a certain obsession with grindy players...

Plus, he tends to overmanage the bullpen a lot.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
If you are comparing a man with 32 years experience to a guy with 7 years, then its really only fair to look at their first 7 seasons and Ozzie's are much more impressive.

Ozzie Guillen has nothing on LaRussa's resume as a manager.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)
No s***, Larussa has 25 more years on him, if you look at their first 7 seasons, Ozzie's are more impressive.

You also have to consider that LaRussa managed in a completely different era in those first 7 years.

He had to be the best of 7 teams to make the playoffs. Had Ozzie been in that generation, he might have gotten to the playoffs once, not so impressive now, is it?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
You also have to consider that LaRussa managed in a completely different era in those first 7 years.

He had to be the best of 7 teams to make the playoffs. Had Ozzie been in that generation, he might have gotten to the playoffs once, not so impressive now, is it?

I don't really care what might have happened, all I know for sure is what did happen.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 05:12 PM)
I guess what I'm saying is maybe...just maybe the players on this roster would respond to somebody of LaRussa's stature differently. Who knows...I could be a worse response. Plus...you'd have to factor in how Paulie'd feel about it.

Well, I think we can at least say Colby Rasmus wouldn't be signing with the White Sox at any point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
Well, I think we can at least say Colby Rasmus wouldn't be signing with the White Sox at any point.

I have been thinking about how great it would be to add Rasmus since that "trade me" incident. Pierre-Rios-Rasmus OF would be great.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
I don't want LaRussa if it means no more Cooper like some people are saying.

Why not? If the Ozzie/Walker haters used the same standards and apply them to Coop, he should be the out the door.

Outside of having a reputation most on this staff (long term) have shown more signs of regression. So his reputation has overshadowed his works.

The pitching staff is the #1 reason why they might finish in 2nd and hopefully not 3rd.