2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 08:59 PM)
Lebron has sacrificed his own game to try and win a title.

Lebron has done everything thats asked of him.

Lebron shows up and plays every day, he plays more minutes than anyone.

You're actively giving him credit for wanting things to be easier and hiding under someone else's shadow?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 08:59 PM)
What has he done to ever hurt anyone? He doesnt get duis, he doesnt hurt people.

Hes a "villain" in basketball, I guess I dont get caught up in the face/heel thing, thats just all how the media portrays it.

The city of Cleveland?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 08:01 PM)
Exactly, Lebron isnt a bad person, hes just a douche on the court.

WHo said he's a bad person?

Every one of your points with the exception of the guy not taking himself off the court with a fake injury is your perception not fact. It can be said he took the easy way out to unite with two other stars to get an easy title. Thats not something that I respect whatsoever. Doing everything that is asked of him? Well early in the season he was called by far the most disruptive person on that team, even belittling his own coach, remember that?

No, Im not going to bury a guy who doesnt want to be the man. Not everyone wants to be the alpha, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I have no problem with people who want to be team players.

/shrugs

Go back and read my posts, I crucified James for leaving Cleveland and destroying his legacy. But its over, he has shown that he is willing to sacrifice scoring and dominating the ball, if it means winning games. It may not make him the best ever, he may not get a statute, but theres absolutely nothing wrong with it. Being a good teammate does not make you a bad person in my mind, being a good teammate makes you likable in my mind.

Lebron was my favorite (current) player before the decision, I seriously thought he could challenge Jordan in terms of all time achievements, but he chose against that. If he can sleep at night with that decision, who am I to second guess it. I think he made a mistake hitching his wagon to Wade and that in the end it will severely hurt his legacy, but I think Lebron was to loyal to Wade and he couldnt get away from a promise he made years before.

I reserve calling a player a "bad guy" for guys who go out and actively try and ruin careers, for guys who take cheap shots, guys who go out and do stupid things, etc.

Lebron isnt a bad guy

Rock,

Um of course this is my perception. Every single post I have ever made is my perception. The entire world as we know it, is nothing more than our perception.

Im giving my opinion, of course its my perception. Ive never said that anyone has to agree with me, Im simply posting my opinion.

In fact all of my posts clearly use the term "I" and half of them include "think" which means its just my opinion.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/break...93495.htmlstory

Im not sure why in the world Wade would think doing things like that is a good idea, but sometimes you just dont want to mess with karma.

These guys make it impossible to like them. I mean anytime you give them the benefit of the doubt they do something like this. Just got around to seeing the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb1a0DTJDZQ

If anyone should be mocked it's them.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)
This is one of those situations in sports where you can't use stats to prove your point. Anyone watching the Finals knows that Wade is the only reason Miami hasn't lost yet. He's been the best player on the court except for maybe Dirk. Whereas Lebron stands around and "facilitates," Wade is doing everything to keep his team in the game. The 4th quarter scoring, the timely offensive rebounds and put backs, the timely blocks....that's all Wade, not Lebron.

And certainly Lebron isn't LOSING games for the Heat, but he sure as hell isn't helping them close out games or win games in the 4th. How do you call yourself the best basketball player on the planet, in the self-admitted biggest game of your life, and score 2 (garbage) pts? How do you just stand around and waste possessions during crunch time? I'm so tired of people comparing Lebron to ANY of the all-time greats, let alone Michael Jordan.

I find it funny that Lebron has apologists around the country that are saying he got a triple double, he plays defense, expectations are too high, blah blah. Guess what, if he wasn't such an ego-centric asshole who claimed to be the best player in the history of the game before every setting foot on an NBA court, maybe NBA fans wouldn't have that opinion of him. But that's what he gets. He wanted all the attention, well, now he's got it, and he's failing miserably at proving the hype.

Outstanding post. Hell, Wade per 36 actually had more assist than LeBron.

Wade had 8 assists (per 34 mins)

- 8.5 assists per36

Lebron had 10 assists (per 45 mins)

- 8.0 assists per36

If he had one less rebound (or pretty much stop taking Joel Anthony's defensive rebounds) people wouldn't be talking about this right now. It's just the "triple double" benchmark that makes it bigger than it really is.

Wade was a better scorer and playmaker, not to mention being injured.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 07:59 PM)

Oh, and what would that be other than scoring (and even that is debatable with shared foul calls with his teammate Wade [and even Bosh] lowering his overall FTA per)? He averaged more rebounds per game than he did last year and was on par with his career average, on par with his career assist numbers (actually had more last year with inferior teammates) and almost the same number of steals and blocks and has averaged damn near the same amount of minutes. Hell his FG% is the highest of his career because he's taking less shots so actually, Wade and company has HELPED HIM in that area and he averaged MORE turnovers this year than any year of his career with another superior secondary ball-handler (when he was basically Derrick Rose as far as the primary ball-handler in Cleveland). He still plays disinterested when something isn't going his way, he still refuses to take the last shot with the game in the balance, he is still making excuses. Looks like the same guy to me.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 07:25 PM)
Comparing anyone to Hakeem is a mega-compliment and is kind of ceding that said player is one of the GOAT at their position... who are your top 5 centers of all time? I'm thinking Hakeem's gotta be in there somewhere

(in no order but just off the top of my head)

Kareem

Wilt

Shaq

Hakeem

Russell

It sounds crazy by Hakeem is my all-time favorite player. Even saying that, i would rank him behind all of those guys. Those guys are first tier elite centers. The Dream was in the next group. He had a game that was completely different too. I have never seen a big man so comfortable and easy with the ball.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 07:59 PM)

Lebron has done everything thats asked of him.

Lebron shows up and plays every day, he plays more minutes than anyone.

(edit)

Why do I think Lebron isnt a bad guy?

What has he done to ever hurt anyone? He doesnt get duis, he doesnt hurt people.

Hes a "villain" in basketball, I guess I dont get caught up in the face/heel thing, thats just all how the media portrays it.

Nope. That's kinda the whole point of everyone here - he doesn't play in the 4th, and that's the problem.

And you've changed the argument into some personal "do we like Lebron as a person argument." I don't give a s*** about Lebron as a person. I give a s*** about Lebron as a basketball icon who is going to be a historic figure in the sport. All i've heard from him, his crew, and ESPN is how great he is/will be, how he's the next MJ (if not better). Excuse me if I feel a little satisfaction for watching all that hype fall short in the biggest games of his career, given what a huge self-centered prick he is, as he showed the world last summer. Perhaps if they lose and the narrative of his career changes (to he's just a really good player that could go down as a top 50, top 25 type) maybe the "hate" won't be as bad (not likely, again, given the events of last summer).

Question for Bulls fan.

Monta Ellis. Yea or Nay?

http://www.mercurynews.com/warriors/ci_182...ource=autofeed#

The Warriors are on the hunt to add a difference maker via a trade. Multiple sources confirm they have talked to Memphis about Rudy Gay, Philadelphia about Andre Iguodala, Chicago about Luol Deng and Denver about Nene.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 08:50 AM)
It sounds crazy by Hakeem is my all-time favorite player. Even saying that, i would rank him behind all of those guys. Those guys are first tier elite centers. The Dream was in the next group. He had a game that was completely different too. I have never seen a big man so comfortable and easy with the ball.

I would take Hakeem 100 times out of 100 over Russell and never think twice about it.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 11:13 AM)
Question for Bulls fan.

Monta Ellis. Yea or Nay?

Depends what it would take, I don't think adding Ellis and losing Deng makes us any better, so if that was just the trade a definite no. Even though our back court would be undersized it would give us the true 2nd scoring option though and ball handler, also SG's in the NBA seemingly are becoming moreso 6'3 than 6'6 on avg anyways.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 08:36 AM)
This series would already be over if Butler and Heyward were healthy.

Haywood's injury has hurt the Mavs, but just watching Brian Cardinal in an NBA Finals has more than made up for it.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
I would take Hakeem 100 times out of 100 over Russell and never think twice about it.

I can agree with that. Russell gets so much credit because of all his titles, but those were also 9-team leagues where the Celtics always had the most talent. It's so much harder to win a title nowadays.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 10:13 AM)
Question for Bulls fan.

Monta Ellis. Yea or Nay?

Nay

I'll take a Boozer and picks to Philly for Iggy, please...they already have Brand so that ain't happening but Iggy is the player out there I covet the most.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

I used to like LeBron, then last summer happened and I hated him, then he owned our asses in the ECFs and I respected him, now he's sinking like the Titanic and I feel bad for him...if he wasn't such an ass and the Mavs didn't have Dirk and Kidd, I might've even pulled for LBJ but he's with the #1 tool in the NBA, Wade so f*** them.

I wish LBJ would've played facilitator LBJ vs the Bulls instead of closer LBJ, the Bulls would be in the Finals today.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
Depends what it would take, I don't think adding Ellis and losing Deng makes us any better, so if that was just the trade a definite no. Even though our back court would be undersized it would give us the true 2nd scoring option though and ball handler, also SG's in the NBA seemingly are becoming moreso 6'3 than 6'6 on avg anyways.

Plus, Ellis doesn't have to be on the court with Rose at all times or anything. He can run more with the second team. This way, you even out the minutes between the two a lot more.

I'm fine with anything not dealing Deng, Rose, or Noah for Ellis. If it's one of those, no deal for me. Unless they throw a Dorell Wright back with Ellis or something (doubt it).

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)

Who takes Deng's place at SF?

Give me a good answer where I don't respond "Lebron will drop 43 on that guy every game" and I'd be content. Without that, you're opening the SF hole to patch the SG hole.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
Stop making this terrible argument.

There's also a difference between saying you're the chosen one (the best) and saying you can do some magic on the court (skilled).