This is ridiculous...

chw42

Sun Times Article

Talks, sources say, progressed to the point that there was discussion of executing a trade that would send Guillen, who has a year left on his contract, to the Marlins for 20-year-old outfielder Mike Stanton, who hit 22 home runs and knocked in 59 runs in just 100 games as a rookie this season.

And I thought Lou Pinella for Randy Winn was bad...

This has to be some sort of joke right?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 01:41 AM)
99% probability of not being true.

But yes please.

God, can you imagine if this was? I really wonder what the hell was going on in the front office that made this not go through.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 01:42 AM)
God, can you imagine if this was? I really wonder what the hell was going on in the front office that made this not go through.

My guess is that the Sox indeed did talk terms, but the Sox asked for Stanton, not the Marlins offering him.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 01:45 AM)
My guess is that the Sox indeed did talk terms, but the Sox asked for Stanton, not the Marlins offering him.

Even asking for him would be apes*** crazy to say the least. Hell, I woulda taken Gaby Sanchez and ran with that.

This is funny as s***. That would be awesome. Despite my criticism of him I'm not a big "fire Ozzie" guy, but yeah I would fly to Chicago and help move his s*** out of the office if this was true (which I'm sure it isn't). 2 birds one stone.

That trade would have been rejected by the commissioners office and completely one sided haha

On a side note I think Ozzie does wind up managing Florida, or should I say the Miami Marlins in a few seasons. Maybe he can help them open the new ballpark.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 01:10 PM)
That trade would have been rejected by the commissioners office and completely one sided haha

On a side note I think Ozzie does wind up managing Florida, or should I say the Miami Marlins in a few seasons. Maybe he can help them open the new ballpark.

I thought the commissioner only had to approve trades that include over $1M?

Or not...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_cws

Ozzie-to-Marlins rumblings didn't progress

Talks of Stanton for White Sox manager 'never happened'

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com | 10/29/10 11:08 AM ET

Comments (2)

printe-mailMIAMI -- Had Ozzie Guillen become available, the Marlins clearly would have had interest. But at what price?

The Chicago Sun-Times reported that the Marlins and White Sox discussed the possibility of trading 20-year-old slugger Mike Stanton for Guillen, who has since opted to remain the manager in Chicago for the 2011 season.

A source on Friday, however, told MLB.com that talks of dealing Stanton for Guillen "never happened." The White Sox have not commented on the report.

Guillen decided to stay with the White Sox that the Marlins had him on their short list of managerial candidates.

The Marlins' third-base coach in 2002-03, Guillen remains popular with Florida's organization.

Guillen is signed with the White Sox for 2011. After that, it is unclear if he will remain in Chicago.

The Marlins have yet to name their manager for 2011. Team president David Samson said on Tuesday that a decision is expected after the World Series.

Edwin Rodriguez, who took over for Fredi Gonzalez on June 23, did a respectable job, guiding the Marlins to an 80-82 record with an injury-plagued roster. The team was 46-46 under Rodriguez, who continues to be a candidate.

There is speculation that the Marlins may end up bringing Rodriguez back on a one-year contract, and then re-evaluate their situation. In 2012, the Marlins move into their retractable-roof ballpark, and perhaps then Guillen may again surface as a candidate.

Guillen, an analyst for FOX during the World Series, confirmed to the Sun-Times before Game 2 on Thursday that he had tension with White Sox general manager Kenny Williams. The Marlins were granted permission to interview Guillen, but no conversations occurred.

"I never talked to the Marlins. I never did," Guillen told the Sun-Times. "I hear it every day. I live in Miami. One thing I know, they had permission to talk to me. But in the meantime, I'm happy to be with the White Sox. I wanted to be with the White Sox in 2011. I hope I'm going to be with the White Sox for more than that."

Stanton, meanwhile, has been considered untouchable for several years. The power-hitting outfielder belted 22 home runs -- the most of any rookie in 2010.

Because he has been one of the top prospects in the game for years, Stanton's name often is floated around in trade talks.

A few years ago, the Red Sox sought Stanton before they ended up trading Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers as part of a three-team deal. And in 2009, the Padres were seeking Stanton in a package of players that would have brought Adrian Gonzalez to Florida.

On Tuesday, Samson noted that the Marlins awarded Cody Ross to the Giants on waivers in August to make room for an outfield of Logan Morrison in left field, Cameron Maybin in center field and Stanton in right field.

"This was an absolute baseball move where we wanted to get Mike Stanton playing right field," Samson told reporters on Tuesday. "Mike Stanton is our future, and our present. At that time [Ross was let go], we felt we were going to be around a .500 team. Any realistic chances of making the playoffs had faded. So it was time for Cody to go."