Vizquel Back

Heads22

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
No he really is. I've watched the kid since college. It's not like he's gonna lose it. It's like saying Zimmerman was a stud since SUU and all of a sudden he's gonna lose it at the big league level. The reports are there. Were not comparing bats to translate here.

If Morel really is of the mindset that he's already a stud and has nothing to learn from Omar vizquel, then I can pretty much guarantee he won't be one in the majors. Fortunately, I'm sure he realizes he still has a lot to learn, and has the opportunity to do so from a probable future HOF'er and multi-position GG winner.

Its not about "losing it", its about making the transition to the next level.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
Glad to have Vizquel back.

He was nothing but a solid guy, and in todays baseball economy $2mil is nothing.

Might have been true 3 years ago.

The Sox were reluctant to give Johnny Damon $6 million last off-season. Jim Thome got less than $1.75 million to hit like he was in his prime.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 05:36 PM)
Might have been true 3 years ago.

The Sox were reluctant to give Johnny Damon $6 million last off-season. Jim Thome got less than $1.75 million to hit like he was in his prime.

The Sox were reluctant to give that money to Damon because Damon's agent was stringing the Sox along and seemingly had no real interest in having his client in Chicago, only extracting a higher bid from Detroit.

Jim Thome got that much because the team that let him go made a moronic decision.

Who cares what Thome made and that he had a great season?

Some guys make $300k and have all star years, other guys make $14mil and ride the pine.

$2mil is not a lot of money for a veteran player who can provide defense and perhaps a little hitting. I dont even understand the relevance of Thome or Damon. Neither of them play similar positions to Vizquel, neither of them have the same skill sets.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 04:55 PM)
Who cares what Thome made and that he had a great season?

Some guys make $300k and have all star years, other guys make $14mil and ride the pine.

$2mil is not a lot of money for a veteran player who can provide defense and perhaps a little hitting. I dont even understand the relevance of Thome or Damon. Neither of them play similar positions to Vizquel, neither of them have the same skill sets.

You said $2 million isn't a lot. My point was that spending $2 million wisely can get you a lot in return and that teams aren't as willing to spend that extra $2 million as they were before.

Even though FanGraphs said he wasn't worth the money last year, it's pretty much a straight up guarantee that Vizquel is going to be worth everything you pay for him. He still gets it done defensively, he's OK with the bat, and he provides excellent leadership. Honestly, with the amount of hits that Vizquel takes away, I really don't think it's a bad thing. I also think he will be here to ease Morel into the 3B position instead of putting everything on his shoulders right away.

This is a good thread.

IMO the consensus is saying ...

• Good move because of his coaching ability as much as his playing ability.

• Good move because he provides good late inning defense at third and as an occasional fill-in at starter at third and second.

• Bad move because Ozzie will play him way too much and he simply is not much a threat with the bat, despite the fact he had some big hits last year. He's another guy most wouldn't mind seeing bat ninth.

My translation...

We probably should have just signed him as a coach unless Oz signs a document promising that he will only start twice a week max.

Edited by greg775

The history is a bit revisionist when it comes to Omar. The guy really didn't play much in the first part of the season, until Mark Teahen got hurt, you didn't see him much at all. He had 22 Abs in April and 28 in May. That is like an AB a game pretty much, or less than 200 ABs a season. Teahen went on the DL May 31st.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 02:15 PM)
The history is a bit revisionist when it comes to Omar. The guy really didn't play much in the first part of the season, until Mark Teahen got hurt, you didn't see him much at all. He had 22 Abs in April and 28 in May. That is like an AB a game pretty much, or less than 200 ABs a season. Teahen went on the DL May 31st.

I think it's going to be hard for Ozzie not to give him the Mark Kotsay treatment when Morel (as he seems to be the plan at third) starts struggling.