Tony Pena or Brandon McCarthy?

Buehrlesque

Pena or McCarthy?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. For the swingman/spot stater role

• Pena
    • McCarthy

McCarthy was cut by the Rangers last month and has dealt with a bunch of injuries over the last few years, but he could benefit from a move to a part time starter/part time reliever. At the same time Tony Pena, despite the high price the Sox paid to acquire him, isn't really anything special and will likely make about $2 million next year if offered arbitration.

Assuming McCarthy could be had for $1 million or less, which scenario would you choose: bring back Pena at ~$2 million or DFA Pena and replace him with the less-expensive McCarthy?

Maybe not a huge decision, but McCarthy has the higher ceiling (especially if you're not sold on Pena, which I'm not) despite the injury risk and would save KW a million plus that he cold use elsewhere. Thoughts?

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 11:10 AM)
Didn't McCarthy burn a few bridges on his way out of town when he was traded to the Rangers?

Maybe a return to Coop can get him back in some form. He'd be alright for a project, but I wouldn't expect to get anything out of him.

IIRC, it was actually the other way around. I believe it was Ozzie who had something to say about who he hung around with and what his late night habits were.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
McCarthy's not getting a ML deal from anyone. Plus, his stuff hasn't been the stuff we saw pre-injuries. If the choice in between the 2, it's definitely Pena.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 12:01 PM)
If Brandon wants to come back here at all, the most I would do is offer him a minor league deal with an invite to spring training. I sure wouldn't clear a spot out of our rotation just for him. I'd with with Sale first, and then Pena before I would count on Bmac.

Injuries or not, I bet McCarthy gets ML deal from someone.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
Pena was awful as a starter at the end of the year. I can't stand that guy. I'd rather have Carlos f***ing Torres out there and he might be the worst pitcher in history.

He started two freakin games at the end of the season(one of which happened to be a quality start), hardly enough of a sample size to make a decision on him as a starter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 12:01 PM)
If Brandon wants to come back here at all, the most I would do is offer him a minor league deal with an invite to spring training. I sure wouldn't clear a spot out of our rotation just for him. I'd with with Sale first, and then Pena before I would count on Bmac.

^^^^ x2

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 11:49 AM)
McCarthy was cut by the Rangers last month and has dealt with a bunch of injuries over the last few years, but he could benefit from a move to a part time starter/part time reliever. At the same time Tony Pena, despite the high price the Sox paid to acquire him, isn't really anything special

What is this "high price" that was paid for Tony Pena? Brandon Allen has proven nothing at the major league level and most likely never will be anything near an all star. Tony Pena, while not reaching all star level either, has at least been a very serviceable major league reliever. At this point the Sox have the better end of that trade and I would bet that 5 years from now we will still be considered the winner of that trade.