Pierzynski Back; 2 years, $8 million

Heads22

The best part of the Cowley thing was that he was on the SCORE talking about how Olivio was looking to have a good shot and AJ was gone.....what a douche.

This morning he was defending the Ozeroo's decision to go with the rotating GM. His point was that it was an organizational move not a OG move. I thought it was obvious that KW was allowing OG to try this way of doing things. I guess I could have been wrong.....

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 01:00 PM)
The best part of the Cowley thing was that he was on the SCORE talking about how Olivio was looking to have a good shot and AJ was gone.....what a douche.

This morning he was defending the Ozeroo's decision to go with the rotating GM. His point was that it was an organizational move not a OG move. I thought it was obvious that KW was allowing OG to try this way of doing things. I guess I could have been wrong.....

It must have been one of the other rotating GMs that decided to keep Kotsay last year, not Kenny.

I think this isn't Kenny telling Ozzie this is whats up. I think this is them realizing something didn't quite work and they are going to make a change and better the overall roster. I can't imagine Ozzie complaining too much with the move, as long as he still has a few fast guys and we still have some young players (Morel/Ramirez/Alexei/CQ/Beckman) who are in our everyday lineup.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 01:00 PM)

When Kotsay hit his 5th homer, I believe Thome also had 5 and Oney tweeted, "looks like the skipper made the right decision about the DH". When Kotsay went bad and Thome took off, it was an organizational decision.

it's just a hunch, but I think he's going to have a huge season (by his standards). Walker said he was very concerned going into ST last year that AJ would press too much since he was facing free agency. And he did. At the end he seemed to bounce back a bit but now the pressure's off and he can just go out and produce.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 02:44 AM)
s***, I'd sure like to have Russel Martin for the cheap right now. Nothing against A.J.

No kidding. Then again, that is more of the dislike I have for A.J. as a player. (though I don't hate his game. That is only reserved in my heart for Juan Pierre)

I don't like the fact that we are beginning to backload contracts, even though it isn't necessarily a lot of money yet. You begin to do that, and you start getting yourself in trouble. One of the things I think we have done well is to avoid signing contracts that inevitably become hard to move and to avoid backloading.

Next year we are going to be in more of a pinch than this year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 10:17 PM)
I don't like the fact that we are beginning to backload contracts, even though it isn't necessarily a lot of money yet. You begin to do that, and you start getting yourself in trouble. One of the things I think we have done well is to avoid signing contracts that inevitably become hard to move and to avoid backloading.

Thats what all-in means. If we don't win and go to the ballpark this year, 'we f***ed'.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 4, 2010 -> 09:17 PM)

Eh, we have two contracts that load up, and next year doesn't add up that much.

Good job, Jerry.

This shows again a couple things. Other teams want our players as much as we devalue them on here and on the talk shows.

And there's no burning desire for players to leave because of the sometimes perceived feeling that Oz is a clown and our team is a sideshow.

Players are not dying to leave the White Sox. Ozzie is obviously a good manager to play for if you produce for him and even if you don't (Kotsay, Linebrink, Jones, Teahen, etc., never grumbled publicly).

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 10:22 AM)
I still think it was Cowley doing a favor for AJ by just throwing out something to try and force our hand a bit...

I still think there was probably some chatter between the Jays and the AJ's. The sox just swooped in and matched whatever was on the table at the end.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 09:22 AM)
I still think it was Cowley doing a favor for AJ by just throwing out something to try and force our hand a bit...

AJ used to be a Cowley source. They had a falling out. Maybe he was throwing him a bone, but considering he isn't on the beat anymore, I doubt it.

Does our resigning of AJ look worse now that Ryan Doumit is said to be available.

The Pirates are trying hard to trade Ryan Doumit and are willing to eat salary, reports MLB.com's Jenifer Langosch.

Doumit is a solid hitter and can probably be had for a mid level minor leaguer. He makes 5.1M in 2011, and his a club option for 7.25M in 2012, and 8.25M in 2013. While hes a bit more expensive than AJ hes also owed a bit more money the pirates are said to be willing to eat some of his contract. He owns a 162 game average line of .268/.332/.438 with 18 HR and 72 RBI. Im not sure about his ability to call a game or handle a pitching staff, but he is a good offensive player.

The Pirates were willing to bring in Chris Snyder because he can actually handle the catching position effectively. Ryan Doumit is not a good defensive catcher. Beyond that, he's really not that good offensively, having only 2 seasons of being an above average offensive player. Someone else can trade for Ryan Doumit and his black, beady eyes.