Paul Konerko Re-Signs with White Sox

ozzfest

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
What about letting him be a player/coach in his 3rd year if his production declines sharply?

*runs for cover*

Konerko seems a lot like Ventura or Buehrle.

He's set for life with cash, he'll want to spend time with his family (at least 5-7 years) before he even thinks about coaching or a significant role with the organization.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big changes in PK talks. - COWLEY

KW felt like it was almost done, but now it fell apart. They are meeting with reps for other options tonight. "The train keeps moving." - Cowley

Sox will also now look to add a reliever. The PK ship is now sailing. - Cowley

Edited by justBLAZE

Huh? Konerko's staying or going? Quite contradictory updates in the last half hour.

Wonder if Dunn and AJ will ask for their money back, lol?

I guess I'm relieved we didn't overpay for Konerko in years or average salary, but it still sucks, especially if he comes back like every former member of the White Sox to victimize us again in head-to-head.

So let's just hope Konerko doesn't end up at 1B with the Twins....that Thome shot against Thornton was agony enough.

Edited by caulfield12

He's on the Score right now basically saying that half an hour ago KW was ready to announce the signing then something went horribly wrong and it's quite possibly 100% over, as in KW has already said goodbye.

He says the sticking point is likely that Konerko wants that $15M a year to be a higher paid player than Dunn, KW expected this number to come down but it did not.

This is probably for the best: $15M a year is a joke, I have a huge problem with paying a guy based on what he's done and not what he's going to do and that's what they'd be doing here with Konerko. There's no way in hell Konerko produces at a $15M a year level over the next 3 seasons. Cowley says D Lee's name is picking up steam and I say hell yeah.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 10:18 PM)
He's on the Score right now basically saying that half an hour ago KW was ready to announce the signing then something went horribly wrong and it's quite possibly 100% over, as in KW has already said goodbye.

He says the sticking point is likely that Konerko wants that $15M a year to be a higher paid player than Dunn, KW expected this number to come down but it did not.

This is probably for the best: $15M a year is a joke, I have a huge problem with paying a guy based on what he's done and not what he's going to do. There's no way in hell Konerko is a $15M a year deal over the next 3 seasons. Cowley says D Lee's name is picking up steam and I say hell yeah.

Great post, and if it means adding a reliever while gaining draft picks as well, I'm all for it.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)

This is probably for the best: $15M a year is a joke, I have a huge problem with paying a guy based on what he's done and not what he's going to do. There's no way in hell Konerko is a $15M a year deal over the next 3 seasons. Cowley says D Lee's name is picking up steam and I say hell yeah.

Yup.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)

I would LOVE DLee, he makes too much sense.

I expect an .850 OPS, with awesome defense out of him. He'll stay for a year, we can assess whether Dayan is ready defensively (I think he'll have a big year offensively and build his value in AAA), and go from there. He possibly could net us a draft pick too next year.

Combine this with the draft picks from Konerko and what he most likely will give you in production and all sides really favor Dlee.

Sounds like as a matter of pride PK wanted more money than the new guy. If not he is going to move. PK feels if he is the captain of the team he shouldn't have to take less money than the new guy.

He may change his mind but right now he isn't willing to take less than Dunn.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
According to the Chicago Sun-Times' Joe Cowley, the White Sox are considering Derrek Lee as a Plan B or C at first base.

We know the above, so just sign D-Lee already.

Plan A = Konerko

Plan B = Gonzalez

Plan C = Fielder

Plan D = Lee

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)
I would LOVE DLee, he makes too much sense.

I expect an .850 OPS, with awesome defense out of him. He'll stay for a year, we can assess whether Dayan is ready defensively (I think he'll have a big year offensively and build his value in AAA), and go from there. He possibly could net us a draft pick too next year.

Combine this with the draft picks from Konerko and what he most likely will give you in production and all sides really favor Dlee.

The question is his physical condition, and a post a couple pages ago seemed to suggest that the Orioles were already worried.