Paul Konerko Re-Signs with White Sox

ozzfest

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 10:18 PM)
Extremely vague i know, but:

Anyone else out there up for getting Cust cheaply. A Cust/Viciedo battle for 1B (can Cust play it?)

and then acquire an outstanding reliever of some sort w/ the extra dough.

A good 1B will have much more impact than a good reliever, and won't cost too much more (if you're looking at DLee vs. Soriano, it will actually be alot cheaper).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 08:19 PM)
Didnt Konerko go through something similar?

Konerko has a chronic thumb injury, its never going to go away. Lee's was a torn ligament that bothered him all season.

Derrek Lee underwent surgery Friday on his right thumb.

The veteran first baseman played the last month of the 2010 season with a torn ligament in his right hand, which partly explains his poor overall numbers. He is expected to be fine by the start of spring training and will be a free agent this winter

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 06:16 PM)
LaRoche is going to want probably a 4 year deal....if we did that we might as well trade Dayan for something that can help us now

Possibly, after all seems like he might end up with the Nationals and who wouldn't want to be with them the way they're throwing money around. no reason to trade Dayan . He could use another season in the minors and if he's ready in 2012 trade La Roche or D. Lee whoever ends up at 1st. Signing Paulie seems to block Viciedo just as much but I don't want him traded. He could be a very big bat cheap one day.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Konerko's injury is different. He actually takes frequent cortisone shots in his hand throughout the season. Its chronic.

CHICAGO -- The right thumb pain felt by Paul Konerko, a malady he has battled for the past two seasons, flared up during Wednesday's 2-1 loss to Detroit before the fateful at-bat in the seventh inning that led to his exit.

In fact, when facing Justin Verlander to lead off the fifth, the consummate hitter turned to a pain-induced offensive approach that he never followed before.

"My second at-bat last night was the first time I've ever been taking with two strikes," said Konerko with a wry smile, addressing his injury in the White Sox clubhouse before Thursday afternoon's series finale against the Tigers.

"That's not a recipe for success, I can tell you that much," Konerko said. "That's when I kind of knew, 'OK, let's take a step back here, this is stupid. This is kind of what I was doing last year.'"

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)
Konerko has a chronic thumb injury, its never going to go away. Lee's was a torn ligament that bothered him all season.

the surgery is a routine one. It will stabilize the thumb. The rehab is straightforward. I've had the surgery myself.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 06:18 PM)
So having surgery to fix a problem that bothered him all year is going to make him worse?

It certainly could . Things take time to heal and regain strength. I'm just giving reasons why not a whole lots of GM's are knocking on his door right now. I consider La Roche a safer bet to have a better healthier season. We'll see how it plays out.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
Konerko's injury is different. He actually takes frequent cortisone shots in his hand throughout the season. Its chronic.

Kornerko's is a tenosynovitis of thumb tendon's. The condition is known as De Quervain's Syndrome. It causes problem's when youmove your hand from side to side (ulnar and radial deviation) which happens during swinging the bat especially during holding up a swing.

I hate to sound like a broken record but this is seriously a no brainer. PK and D.Lee are a good bet to put up similar offensive numbers while Lee plays better defense and gives you more speed on the basepaths, and obviously just as important is that he allows you to save some money to add some arms to the pen. Memories be damned, this is an easy decision.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 08:42 PM)
I hate to sound like a broken record but this is seriously a no brainer. PK and D.Lee are a good bet to put up similar offensive numbers while Lee plays better defense and gives you more speed on the basepaths, and obviously just as important is that he allows you to save some money to add some arms to the pen. Memories be damned, this is an easy decision.

I'm sorry but if it is that easy, don't you think Lee would be commanding nearly the same price on the open market as Konerko? Not every GM is an idiot. There is a reason he won't make nearly the money Konerko will and it isn't only the fact that Konerko had a huge year.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 08:50 PM)
I'm sorry but if it is that easy, don't you think Lee would be commanding nearly the same price on the open market as Konerko? Not every GM is an idiot. There is a reason he won't make nearly the money Konerko will and it isn't only the fact that Konerko had a huge year.

PK is coming off a career year. MVP contention type year.

The salary he earns could be something a little too high.

Lee is coming off a down year. His salary will end up being a bargain. That's generally how it goes down. All of PK's past streaky years will be forgotten if there are two suitors serious enough (which there seem to be).

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
That was hilarious actually. I love Kenny.

Kenny is awesome, but he's so f'n serious. Kenny likes to intimidate the media. That panel was not a good format for him today. He tried though, I'll give him that. Considering how frustrated he was this afternoon, he pulled it off I guess.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
So, Reinsdorf has now stepped into the negotiations to try and get a deal done. This thing is JR vs PK and KW is ready to move on...

Exactly... on one hand you have the romantic (Reinsdorf) and on the other hand you have the pragmatist (Kenny).

I've never been much for theater. KW just sign Derrek Lee and let's move on to the bullpen.

I've never been much for theater. KW just sign Derrek Lee and let's move on to the bullpen.

I think basically what we're all weighing is:

Do we favor Lee simply b/c Paulie's camp is annoying us right now?

Isn't PK still the guy more likely to put up a great offensive year (probably but debatable)

Do any of us really know how much more a Lee contract helps us with the bullpen? JR will spend high for some players but not others....just b/c he allotted 13M for Paulie doesn't mean he allotted 13M for Lee plus good relievers.

QUOTE (wsgdf_2 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
cst_sox: The Chairman is now in on the Konerko talks in the 11th hour - it's on

I don't understand that tweet when he posted the same thing in his blog 4 hours ago.

I think Cowley wants more clicks.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
So, Reinsdorf has now stepped into the negotiations to try and get a deal done. This thing is JR vs PK and KW is ready to move on...

yeah, I have a feeling KW told Jerry his Plan B/C etc. are ready to go but might not be there by Thursday/Friday, so he better come in and see if he can salvage it.