Winter Meeting Buzz

Frank_Thomas

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 01:43 AM)
Jim Hendry just had to ruin the 1B market didn't he? Ugh.

I hate to play conspiracy theorist but the Cubs are completely rebuilding and are on the verge of shedding Ramirez, Silva's and Fukudome's contracts, as well as Dempster and Zambrano's after 2012. They aren't competing any time soon. On the other hand, we nabbed Peavy and Dunn from them. Could Hendry be doing it to f*** KW over?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:47 AM)
I hate to play conspiracy theorist but the Cubs are completely rebuilding and are on the verge of shedding Ramirez, Silva's and Fukudome's contracts, as well as Dempster and Zambrano's after 2012. They aren't competing any time soon. On the other hand, we nabbed Peavy and Dunn from them. Could Hendry be doing it to f*** KW over?

Paranoid much?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 02:28 AM)
Paranoid much?

Nope.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 02:31 AM)
Seriously, who in their right minds spends 10 million dollars to hurt a team not even in your own division?

I don't think it was directly to screw KW over, obviously. But I could see it having gone through his head.

The Cubs signing Pena for that amount really makes the Dunn deal seem like even more of a steal but definitely cost the Sox on Konerko or whoever replaces him. Hurry on D. Lee if we end up going in that direction. GM's spending like drunken sailors. KW's has to be fuming and signing Konerko is looking much farther away.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

The rumors still exist of a 7-year offer for Cliff Lee, but the known teams gunning for him deny such an offer. I would think that one or more of those teams are not being truthful, but I wonder if there's a mystery team out there that has made a 7-year offer. And if so, who could it be?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 07:41 AM)
The LA Times floated 8/$180 as a possible.

They can't be serious. That is insane.

He would be 38 at the end of that contract, and still earning $22.5 million per year!!!

How many stolen bases would you guess he might have in his late 30's?

His hitting is not nearly good enough to justify that kind of money, especially when he can no longer run like he's been able to run, up to this point.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 08:37 AM)
The rumors still exist of a 7-year offer for Cliff Lee, but the known teams gunning for him deny such an offer. I would think that one or more of those teams are not being truthful, but I wonder if there's a mystery team out there that has made a 7-year offer. And if so, who could it be?

Is there any possibility that the Twins could be that "mystery team"? :o

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 08:41 AM)
The LA Times floated 8/$180 as a possible.

Who is he going to get that from, the Angels?

I can't see him getting this deal now that the Red Sox and Yankees are both out of the picture. If I were Crawford, I'd just sign a 1-year deal with one of NYY or Bos and go try and win a ring while putting up huge numbers and try this again next year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 09:06 AM)
Who is he going to get that from, the Angels?

I can't see him getting this deal now that the Red Sox and Yankees are both out of the picture. If I were Crawford, I'd just sign a 1-year deal with one of NYY or Bos and go try and win a ring while putting up huge numbers and try this again next year.

Why exactly are both the Red Sox and Yankees out of the picture? The Yankees have been believed to salivate over him for years, and have a habit of jumping in late in negotiations with huge offers (that's what happened in the Teixeira deal. Especially if they lose out on Lee). The Red Sox have another LH bat now, true, but their OF is still full of holes. Ellsbury, Cameron, and Drew are their current starters, and between them, that was only about 205 starts last year for 3 positions, which means they used their backups a ton.

Heyman this morning still says the Yankees and Red Sox are in the picture, along with the Angels, Ligers, and Rangers (most of those names are also in on the Lee deal and suggest to me that Crawford may be becoming the consolation prize)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 08:20 AM)
Why exactly are both the Red Sox and Yankees out of the picture? The Yankees have been believed to salivate over him for years, and have a habit of jumping in late in negotiations with huge offers (that's what happened in the Teixeira deal. Especially if they lose out on Lee). The Red Sox have another LH bat now, true, but their OF is still full of holes. Ellsbury, Cameron, and Drew are their current starters, and between them, that was only about 205 starts last year for 3 positions, which means they used their backups a ton.

That's a fair question. They're both going to sign players to long-term contracts for over $150 million shortly, as I am guessing the Yankees will eventually sign Lee. While that shouldn't stop them from signing Crawford, I think it would inspire a bit of caution in regards to signing another huge deal this offseason. I think they'd probably be more willing to dole out another whopper of a contract like that next year, after they've had some time to see things play out a bit, but that's just my guess.

It's been made pretty clear that the Yankees want to fix their pitching staff and are not worried about their offense. Plus, they've got Brett Gardner, who is a fairly similar player to Crawford, minus a bit of power. The Red Sox, meanwhile, have been very hesitant to hand out longterm deals lately, and now that they've just committed to signing AGon, my guess is they aren't super excited about offering Crawford some 7 or 8 year deal.

But hey, I guess you never know.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 08:20 AM)

Heyman this morning still says the Yankees and Red Sox are in the picture, along with the Angels, Ligers, and Rangers (most of those names are also in on the Lee deal and suggest to me that Crawford may be becoming the consolation prize)

It's in Crawford's best interests to make it seem as though many teams are still in the picture, especially the Yankees and Red Sox. But read between the bs, Balta...

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)
If the Yankees sign Crawford then I want the Sox to go after Gardner. If the Red Sox sign Crawford then I want the Sox to go after Ellsbury. And in either situation I'd love to see Pierre relegated to 4th OF or (preferably) gone.

I'd rather focus the remaining energy and dollars on the pen, and go with what we have for the offense (except deciding the 4th OF slot - Lillibridge vs De Aza vs Gartrell).

Sale, Thornton and Santos is a solid start, and you have to figure one slot goes to Infante/Bellamy, and one to a long man. That leaves 2 open slots to go get 2 legitimate strong bullpen guys.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:36 AM)
I'd rather focus the remaining energy and dollars on the pen, and go with what we have for the offense (except deciding the 4th OF slot - Lillibridge vs De Aza vs Gartrell).

Sale, Thornton and Santos is a solid start, and you have to figure one slot goes to Infante/Bellamy, and one to a long man. That leaves 2 open slots to go get 2 legitimate strong bullpen guys.

But right now Carlos is our everyday RF. Not only is his defense atrocious but he gets injured tying his shoes.

Before the Dunn signing I thought he'd make a decent DH.

Edited by BigSqwert