Teixeira: Pettitte Leaning Toward Retirement

shago

http://mlb-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssport...297882/26696163

Regardless of how good they think Ivan Nova and Sergio Mitre are, I say they need a dependable SP with some experience under his belt. Hughes is not going to repeat that season and AJB is a cross between Barry Zito and Ian Baker-Finch

Everyone on this site thinks I'm crazy, but I still think there is a reasonable trade here involving Granderson and a prospect arm, Pierre/CQ and EJaxx, or something along those lines.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
http://mlb-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssport...297882/26696163

Regardless of how good they think Ivan Nova and Sergio Mitre are, I say they need a dependable SP with some experience under his belt. Hughes is not going to repeat that season and AJB is a cross between Barry Zito and Ian Baker-Finch

Everyone on this site thinks I'm crazy, but I still think there is a reasonable trade here involving Granderson and a prospect arm, Pierre/CQ and EJaxx, or something along those lines.

People need to forget about trading JP. First of all, he's not that good at baseball. Secondly, Yankees have a much better/cheaper version in Brett Gardner. CQ isn't a fit with Swisher in right and Posada will log considerable time at DH. I'd deal Jackson last week if we could get some young pitching in return. One of Betances/Banuelos would be required.

Even if he comes back the I'm not blown away by the Yankees rotation. If he comes back he really needs to be a front line 200+ inning starter, it's not like they can carry him through a season and make sure he's 100% for the playoffs, they'll need him to get to the playoffs... obviously he has the track record of being an effective pitcher and it's not like he relies on blistering fastballs, but he'll be 39 during the season and has gone from 194 to 129 innings the last 2 seasons. It will be interesting, I say he comes back because the NYY will make him an insane offer because barring a good trade for them, they kind of need him. Also, it's not like they have a dominating BP as of today outside of Mariano, they lost Wood who was excellent for them last year and Joba is a crapshoot. So it's not like they can limit him to 5-6 innings a start and turn it over to a lockdown BP

Edited by SoxFan562004

Here's another twist ... With the A's dropping out of the Beltre sweepstakes, the Angels are the likely frontrunner there. Additionally, rumors are that they plan to move Torii back to CF, leaving a problem for them in RF. So how bout a multi-team trade: CQ to Anaheim for Howie Kendrick, move Bacon back to 3B, trade EJaxx+ to the Yankees for Granderson (or possibly Gardner for less). Teahen is the utility guy off the bench, 3B, 1B, OF, DH, etc.

Lineup:

Pierre LF

Granderson RF

Konerko 1B

Dunn DH

Rios CF

Missile SS

Kendrick 2B

Beckham 3B

AJP C

Edited by La Marr Hoyt HOF

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 07:52 PM)
White Sox currently have 6 healthy starters, with a 7th in Jake Peavy returning hopefully by May. The problem is not shortage of starters, but rather a shortage of relievers.

really? do you really count Sale and Pena as starters?

if we trade away say Danks, our rotation w/o peavy would be Floyd, EJax, Buerhle, Sale, Pena... yuck

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 07:52 PM)
White Sox currently have 6 healthy starters, with a 7th in Jake Peavy returning hopefully by May. The problem is not shortage of starters, but rather a shortage of relievers.

We have four returning starters healthy. Buehrle, Jackson, Danks and Floyd.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 09:54 PM)
I only saw Nova last year against the Sox but that kid has a future....very impressive. If the Sox could get him, which they won't, but if they did it'd be a steal.

it seems very possible that they could, a trade up on a yankees fan board had a trade up of nova,joba,Romine, and Betances for danks....maybe yankees fans are just stupid when it comes to trades because they dont do many lol

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 08:17 PM)
really? do you really count Sale and Pena as starters?

if we trade away say Danks, our rotation w/o peavy would be Floyd, EJax, Buerhle, Sale, Pena... yuck

Yes. Sale is definitely a starter, and Pena CAN and has been a starter, certainly for the 5-6 starts or so until Peavy comes back.

And besides, this is assuming that no starter would be coming back in the trade. If it is indeed the Yankees to get Danks, it's not unlikely we could receive Nova in a deal.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 08:54 PM)
I only saw Nova last year against the Sox but that kid has a future....very impressive. If the Sox could get him, which they won't, but if they did it'd be a steal.

You know, I remember thinking that exact same thing when I saw Luis Mendoza pitch against the Sox in 2008 - 6 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 8 K. Fastball with good sinking movement, solid breaking ball working as the offspeed, and the ability to hit about 94 with his straight fastball.

Of course, his next start was against the White Sox - 4 IP, 9 H, 6 ER, 2 BB, 4 K and a homer allowed. Needless to say, he didn't win that game, and he's been pretty terrible throughout his career.

Can't let one game make a lasting impression on you. The Sox have historically struggled against pitchers they've faced for the first time, and though they were better last year, seeing a guy for the first time is still going to be a bit difficult. His minor league numbers are OK, and I've seen people say he could be a middle of the rotation starter. Doesn't mean he can't be more, but he can certainly bust still too. I know that I wouldn't want him to be the main piece in any deal I made, unless it was trading like Mark Teahen.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
But, still, as of now, Sale has not started a game as a professional, and Pena is not any good.

I think Pena is good enough to be a 5th starter for 5-6 games.

He pitched 4 games last year of 6 IP or more.

25 IP, 28 H, 13 ER, 6 BB, 12 K, 1 HR, 4.68 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, 4.32 K/9, 2.16 BB/9

Those are perfectly acceptable numbers for a 5th starter.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 10:07 PM)
I think Pena is good enough to be a 5th starter for 5-6 games.

He pitched 4 games last year of 6 IP or more.

25 IP, 28 H, 13 ER, 6 BB, 12 K, 1 HR, 4.68 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, 4.32 K/9, 2.16 BB/9

Those are perfectly acceptable numbers for a 5th starter.

This is why short sample sizes suck. We're f***ed if Pena has to make 20+ starts.

Teams that invest in Dunn and Konerko and Crain don't trade dependable starters for prospects. Its counterintuitive. You dump for kids if you are going that way, you just pushed the chips in the middle of the table. And this nonsense of the patchwork 5th starter is just insane. You obviously don't remember the 5th starter by committe garbage we had with Danny Wright and company. Sale is barely removed from being drafted. Let him stretch it out a bit and learn in the pen. Lets hedge our bets on what is really there. Not some mythical unicorn sighting.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 12:07 AM)
Teams that invest in Dunn and Konerko and Crain don't trade dependable starters for prospects. Its counterintuitive. You dump for kids if you are going that way, you just pushed the chips in the middle of the table. And this nonsense of the patchwork 5th starter is just insane. You obviously don't remember the 5th starter by committe garbage we had with Danny Wright and company. Sale is barely removed from being drafted. Let him stretch it out a bit and learn in the pen. Lets hedge our bets on what is really there. Not some mythical unicorn sighting.

This is all moot if Danks was locked up past 2012. I don't value Jackson all. I'd trade him for a young/legitimate pitching prospect last month. You know, somebody like Dan Hudson. But let me shut up before I get crazy again.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 12:16 AM)
This is all moot if Danks was locked up past 2012. I don't value Jackson all. I'd trade him for a young/legitimate pitching prospect last month. You know, somebody like Dan Hudson. But let me shut up before I get crazy again.

You pick up talent through scouting and the draft. I am a huge proponent of going over slot, especially this year with less impactful draft slots. You don't have a 1st rounder, so invest that money on someone who slips.

I am not a believer however of trading talent off the major league roster for other peoples prospects. Remember the golden rule of prosects, over hype them to other teams so they will want them. We pick up, golden prospects from other teams that turn out to be turds for the most part. Picking up major league ready guys who need some coop fixing aside.

If you start down the road of moving major league talent for minor league filler, you better either have the blessing to burn it all down. Or you better have lots of depth at that position.