Realistic Adam Dunn expectations

DOWNTOWN PANTHER

QUOTE (DOWNTOWN PANTHER @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
I have never posted any opinion of mine on Dusty, but I will say that I was very pleased with him this season.

Reds fans are fast to second guess and pound on the manager for his ability to manage a pitching staff and lineup. This season was no exception. I think that Dusty did a tremendous job of managing the staff and pen. I look simply at wins and losses, and this year he had a big impact. For this team he is a perfect candidate IMO. Right now the Reds have a very solid fusion of young talent and veteran leadership which Dusty blended very nicely.

In 2011 I think the Reds are the team to beat in the Central. I think Dusty can make a run this year at October baseball, and the staff has a very high ceiling.

I love the Reds. Post more, my friend. Anyway, could we get Chapman for Juan Pierre? I promise you he's really good. He hits a lot of sexy singles and steals a lot of bases. He would be an upgrade in LF. I promise. Cross my heart and hope to die.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
I love the Reds. Post more, my friend. Anyway, could we get Chapman for Juan Pierre? I promise you he's really good. He hits a lot of sexy singles and steals a lot of bases. He would be an upgrade in LF. I promise. Cross my heart and hope to die.

He's also a very good teammate. Lots of chemistry!

QUOTE (DOWNTOWN PANTHER @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
I have never posted any opinion of mine on Dusty, but I will say that I was very pleased with him this season.

Reds fans are fast to second guess and pound on the manager for his ability to manage a pitching staff and lineup. This season was no exception. I think that Dusty did a tremendous job of managing the staff and pen. I look simply at wins and losses, and this year he had a big impact. For this team he is a perfect candidate IMO. Right now the Reds have a very solid fusion of young talent and veteran leadership which Dusty blended very nicely.

In 2011 I think the Reds are the team to beat in the Central. I think Dusty can make a run this year at October baseball, and the staff has a very high ceiling. He definately is a risk taker. Thats not a bad thing though.

You won't be saying any of this when Johnny Cueto, Edinson Volquez, and Aroldis Chapman are regular DL members in a couple of years because of how much Dusty will overuse them. Just ask Cubs fans.

YES! Singles are SEXY!

I know I'm over doing it but we are sweating out an accreditation visit and I'm full of nervous energy so don't take it personally.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 03:08 PM)
You won't be saying any of this when Johnny Cueto, Edinson Volquez, and Aroldis Chapman are regular DL members in a couple of years because of how much Dusty will overuse them. Just ask Cubs fans.

As a Reds fan we have had 1 winning since 1999. So I will take a couple post season runs and trade them for a little "business as usual" a couple years down the road.

Edited by DOWNTOWN PANTHER

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
YES! Singles are SEXY!

I know I'm over doing it but we are sweating out an accreditation visit and I'm full of nervous energy so don't take it personally.

J4L rule number one. Do not use words that I don't know the meaning of. What the hell does accerdiplation or whatever you said means?

QUOTE (DOWNTOWN PANTHER @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
As a Reds fan we have had 1 winning since 1999. So I will take a couple post season runs and trade them for a little "business" as usual a couple years down the road.

Panther, may I ask why you as a Reds fan decided to join a Sox board? Are they like your second favorite team? Just curious.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
J4L rule number one. Do not use words that I don't know the meaning of. What the hell does accerdiplation or whatever you said means?

To keep our physical therapy program, we need to go through a periodic accreditation visit from a section Department of Education. They determine if we have a quality program or not. If they determine we don't, they can shut us down. So I need to be the perfect a** kisser which I'm not very good at.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)

The process of being accredited. :P

An accredited school (you're a prof. ptact, right?) has met the standards of some national standards-setting group. Degrees from unaccredited schools aren't worth much and would probably have a hard time getting accepted at other institutions. It takes a ton of paperwork and effort and if you lose your accredation, you can be in serious trouble. From a Frontline I watched on for-profit schools, an accredited program at a small college is worth something like $10M.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)

An accredited school (you're a prof. ptact, right?) has met the standards of some national standards-setting group. Degrees from unaccredited schools aren't worth much and would probably have a hard time getting accepted at other institutions. It takes a ton of paperwork and effort and if you lose your accredation, you can be in serious trouble. From a Frontline I watched on for-profit schools, an accredited program at a small college is worth something like $10M.

This is correct. However, this description is more for a school than an individual program.

In the US you need to graduate from an accredited program to sit for your PT license exam, so it is mandatory.

I worked for 8 months creating a 300 page spreadsheet on linking our course objectives to the criteria set by the Department of Ed.

I love the Reds.

seconded.

I'm going to add an edit. One of the things I like most about the Reds is that they hate Cubs fans as much as we do.

Also when i was in oxford, the 6 dollar tickets to an empty stadium was awesome.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
To keep our physical therapy program, we need to go through a periodic accreditation visit from a section Department of Education. They determine if we have a quality program or not. If they determine we don't, they can shut us down. So I need to be the perfect a** kisser which I'm not very good at.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)

Oh, yes. I love knowledge and improving my VOcabulary.

QUOTE (DOWNTOWN PANTHER @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 09:51 AM)
Dont take my word for it. Check in with me at about midseason and let me know then.

You guys dont have to shoot the messanger here.

Alos, for the person comparing Adam Dunn to Reggie Jackson. Relax!!

Baseball Reference.com page on Adam Dunn...just saying...

Similar Batters through 30

View Similar Player Links in Pop-up

Compare Stats to Similars

1.Jose Canseco (888)

2.Rocky Colavito (887)

3.Harmon Killebrew (883) *

4.Sammy Sosa (881)

5.Reggie Jackson (877) *

6.Darryl Strawberry (871)

7.Ralph Kiner (861) *

8.Jim Thome (857)

9.Barry Bonds (850)

10.Boog Powell (842)

* - Signifies Hall of Famer

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)
While we're talking about Dunn, Dunn is 46 HR away from #400, Konerko is 35 HR away. Maybe we'll see back-to-back #400's...

I could see this happening on the last day of the season, since I imagine that'll be about where they both land.

QUOTE (PlunketChris @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)
I could see this happening on the last day of the season, since I imagine that'll be about where they both land.

If they each stay on their typical pace, #400's could be pretty close to each other, either end of 2011 or early 2012.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)
If they each stay on their typical pace, #400's could be pretty close to each other, either end of 2011 or early 2012.

So if Konerko plays a couple years beyond his current contract somewhere and stays relatively healthy he has a legitimate shot at 500 home runs...

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)
I am. Your hitters in the middle of the lineup are paid this kind of money to drive in runs, not to set up for the next guy.

And yes I know they get pitched around but if there is a pitch that is borderline, hit it.

Do you envision a return to the corpseball days of Thome, Konerko, Dye? Those were the worst, and people used to think that was a good offense. I'm with ya man, I hope this doesn't become Corpse: The Return. I guess we have better players all around so I don't see it being that bad with Dunn.

QUOTE (DOWNTOWN PANTHER @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 10:22 AM)
Disgruntled fan??? My team won the NL Central last year. I think I speak on behalf of the Reds fans when I say that not having Dunn is a good thing. For the Reds at leat.

I think we can politely agree to disagree. All I can say is lets hear your take on your 56 Million dollar man come July.

I think you may be taking this a bit too serious.

.380 or so OBP is elite these days, and plays nicely on a high-power offense that's low on OBP. I don't see how this is possibly a bad move. Sorry, man, not sure what's making you so upset about Dunn, but he just made our team a LOT better.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)
Do you envision a return to the corpseball days of Thome, Konerko, Dye? Those were the worst, and people used to think that was a good offense. I'm with ya man, I hope this doesn't become Corpse: The Return. I guess we have better players all around so I don't see it being that bad with Dunn.

Those three were a vital part of one of the best offensive teams in White Sox history in 06. Corpseball...lol.

Edited by chw42