2011 Cubs Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Yankees have both an ex-catcher of Zambrano, and his ex-pitching coach, and they aren't interested in him

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/dem...094J0yBsauZ5OuN

CHICAGO -- If the Yankees decide to add pitching before the trade deadline, there are a couple of arms that could help in the other dugout at Wrigley Field.

Carlos Zambrano is the sexier name, but the Cubs right-hander has a truck load of emotional baggage, not to mention $27.25 million and two years remaining on a contract. And he is only 5-4 with a 4.59 ERA in the NL.

BOX SCORE

More appealing to the Yankees is 34-year-old Ryan Dempster, who will start against the Bombers today in what amounts to an audition.

Dempster, also a righty, is 5-5 with a 5.90 ERA, but routinely provides innings (at least 200 each of the past three seasons) and will be a free agent following this season, when he is being paid $14 million.

HOMECOMING: Yankees manager Joe Girardi, who grew up in the Chicago area and played for the Cubs, signs autographs for fans at Wrigley Field yesterday.

UPI

HOMECOMING: Yankees manager Joe Girardi, who grew up in the Chicago area and played for the Cubs, signs autographs for fans at Wrigley Field yesterday.

The Yankees expect Phil Hughes (who will make a rehab start tomorrow for the Staten Island Yankees) back at some point, so they would be looking at Dempster (107-107 in his career) as back-of-the-rotation help.

According to several teams, the Yankees ideally would like to add a left-handed starter, but the best of those available is Houston's Wandy Rodriguez, who has $25.5 million due to him across the next three seasons: $10 million next year; $13 million in 2013 and a $2.5 million buyout if a $13 million club option in 2014 is exercised.

The Yankees prefer players who aren't signed past this season.

Former manager Joe Torre was on the field before the game as part of a program to raise awareness for prostate cancer. Torre was diagnosed with the disease in 1999.

Torre, whose right arm was in a sling following rotator cuff surgery, chatted with several Yankees and spent time leaning on the batting cage talking with manager Joe Girardi.

Torre, the executive vice president of baseball operations for Major League Baseball, will be in Cincinnati for the Yankees-Reds three-game series that opens Monday.

Lefty hitters were batting a robust .367 (11-for-30) against left-hander Doug Davis, the Cub's starter yesterday, so Girardi used lefty swinging Brett Gardner in left field. Usually, Girardi plays Andruw Jones, a righty hitter, against lefties.

"I looked at the numbers . . . and I looked at the way Gardy is swinging the bat," Girardi said.

No doubt playing into the strategy was Jones' career batting average of .182 (2-for-11) against Davis. That went to 2-for-12 (.167) when Jones was called out on a 2-2 breaking pitch as a pinch hitter leading off the eighth inning.

Gardner went 1-for-3 overall, but against Davis he was hitless in two at-bats and walked.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/dem...N#ixzz1Ppvvd3zr

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/colu...&id=6689555

Article ripping Ricketts for his lack of a coherent, audible message and direction with the Cubs

Why on Earth is it the owners job to articulate a public vision for the franchise?

Remember the days when the Blackhawks finally had their ownership hire good people and then just get the heck out of the way?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)
Why on Earth is it the owners job to articulate a public vision for the franchise?

Remember the days when the Blackhawks finally had their ownership hire good people and then just get the heck out of the way?

Because it's definitely not coming from Hendry and Cranester, so a vacuum exists....basically.

He hasn't YET hired the good people who are going to turn that organization around, clearly. So everyone's waiting for that first definitive move.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
Because it's definitely not coming from Hendry and Cranester, so a vacuum exists....basically.

He hasn't YET hired the good people who are going to turn that organization around, clearly. So everyone's waiting for that first definitive move.

"Turn the organization around"?

They made the playoffs in what, 2007-2008 in consecutive years and were competitive the next year?

2007 was when the Cubs fans got really started to get ramped up because it was coming up to the century mark of their WS drought and nobody wanted to see it go to triple digits. Everyone was sure that it was "their year". Then they got swept in the playoffs.

2008 was the century mark and again everyone was sure that it was "their year" Then they got swept in the playoffs.

They've been sliding backwards ever since and Cubs fans are finally starting to realize that it's not all that lovable to be a loser.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)
2007 was when the Cubs fans got really started to get ramped up because it was coming up to the century mark of their WS drought and nobody wanted to see it go to triple digits. Everyone was sure that it was "their year". Then they got swept in the playoffs.

2008 was the century mark and again everyone was sure that it was "their year" Then they got swept in the playoffs.

They've been sliding backwards ever since and Cubs fans are finally starting to realize that it's not all that lovable to be a loser.

Yup. Especially 2008. I'm not gonna lie, I thought a WS birth was a foregone conclusion. They've gone backwards ever since and they're REALLY expensive and not so cuddly. Not to mention that cave of a ballpark is almost literally falling apart.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
Yup. Especially 2008. I'm not gonna lie, I thought a WS birth was a foregone conclusion. They've gone backwards ever since and they're REALLY expensive and not so cuddly. Not to mention that cave of a ballpark is almost literally falling apart.

No doubt, especially when they picked up Rich Harden and suddenly convinced Jim Edmonds that it was 1998, not 2008. Then they had to face the Dodgers, tied for 7th in wins in the NL.

The end of the Cubs, IMO, was when Arizona raped them in the NLDS in (I think) 2007, and Ted Lilly fired his glove at the ground after a homer given up. The next year, James Loney and Manny continued the rape. All in all, Loney's grand slam and Lilly throwing his glove down was the beginning of the end for that group of losers.

Castro's a keeper, and that's it. I have a feeling Barney will end up being like Theriot- fan favorite for a few years and playing elsewhere in 4 years. Campana has no offensive game besides his speed. LeMahieu is interesting, but he had like 700 PA's in the minors and only 4 HR's. Colvin hasn't looked the same since that bat practically killed him, and Cashner already has strung together some injuries.

I don't follow their farm much- are Jackson and Vitters going to be good?

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 01:46 PM)

This is very true.

Also, I'm surprised some people thought the World Series was a foregone conclusion for them in 2008. I honestly wasn't all that surprised they crashed and burned. I mean, I had my fears going into those playoffs for sure since they had such a great regular season, but after 2003 and 2007 plus the goat thing that they clearly did/do buy into at least partially....I had a feeling the pressure would get to them if things started to go bad. And it did. Plus, everybody knows the regular season and postseason are two different animals.

As for this years Cubs, they are underachievers IMO. They aren't good, but that's a .500 ish team, not a 15 below in June one.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 12:46 AM)
The end of the Cubs, IMO, was when Arizona raped them in the NLDS in (I think) 2007, and Ted Lilly fired his glove at the ground after a homer given up. The next year, James Loney and Manny continued the rape. All in all, Loney's grand slam and Lilly throwing his glove down was the beginning of the end for that group of losers.

Castro's a keeper, and that's it. I have a feeling Barney will end up being like Theriot- fan favorite for a few years and playing elsewhere in 4 years. Campana has no offensive game besides his speed. LeMahieu is interesting, but he had like 700 PA's in the minors and only 4 HR's. Colvin hasn't looked the same since that bat practically killed him, and Cashner already has strung together some injuries.

I don't follow their farm much- are Jackson and Vitters going to be good?

Vitters is still young for his level but the .757 career minor league OPS is at least a concern.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)

I disagree. 2003 is when "everyone" got ramped up...and that didn't really happen till they took out ATL.

'07 and '08 were mirages. In neither of those years was there even a shred of belief they could go anywhere in the playoffs. Unless, of course, you're referencing the a$$clown brigade (santo fans). You know, the ones who embrace the term "lovable losers."

Edited by SouthsideNorthsideFan

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
And of course this guy was much cheaper too. *sigh*

There's something to be said about 1 yr deals, if they don't work out then you lost a bit of money but you're not tied up. If they do work out, you can resign the player or get some draft picks on top of the production they gave you.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
There's something to be said about 1 yr deals, if they don't work out then you lost a bit of money but you're not tied up. If they do work out, you can resign the player or get some draft picks on top of the production they gave you.

The problem is that you usually don't want the guys who will sign a one year deal.

QUOTE (Nokona @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)
Rowand blows the game open with a bases clearing double.

The worst offense in MLB knows what to do with Doug Davis on a warm summer day at Wrigley. I hope the Sox can figure it out when I am there on Sunday.