Any Ideas why Major Networks Dislike The Sox?

Rooftop Shots

Still can't figure it out!

As we all know, that for many years ESPN has had no love for The Sox.

Last year on MLBN's 30 clubs in 30 days they had us next to last on the schedule.

This year On MLBN ,when they were going through who they thought were the top 10 best teams this year, Rod Allen picked The Sox as #8 and Harold Reynolds laughed his head off and said that he was surprised that they were on the list at all!

When Reynolds was asked about the depth of The Sox rotation, he ducked the question and reverted the question over to Oakland and yacked up a storm about them.

Even Mitch Williams. Reverts questions off of The Sox, and straight onto Detroit and how good they are.

Yesterday, they talked about major key players that were injured last year that can make major impacts on teams if they are healthy. Santana, Morales, Nathan, and a few others were mentioned. How the heck can Peavy's name not even be mentioned let alone not be thrown into the conversation?

This year on the TV broadcst schedule, (Except for one spring training game) ESPN has NO GAMES scheduled for The Sox this year.

I know that we are all Sox fans and have some great hopes this year, but why don't major networks see us as a legitimate threat?

I mean....C'mon already! Look at our line up and rotaion and pen! Maybe it's not tops in the majors, but sheesh......I don't thnk that we should be looked upon as a pile of rags that aren't worth the time of day for discussion on contending and being a threat!

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)

Last year on MLBN's 30 clubs in 30 days they had us next to last on the schedule.

This year On MLBN ,when they were going through who they thought were the top 10 best teams this year, Rod Allen picked The Sox as #8 and Harold Reynolds laughed his head off and said that he was surprised that they were on the list at all!When Reynolds was asked about the depth of The Sox rotation, he ducked the question and reverted the question over to Oakland and yacked up a storm about them.

Even Mitch Williams. Reverts questions off of The Sox, and straight onto Detroit and how good they are.

Yesterday, they talked about major key players that were injured last year that can make major impacts on teams if they are healthy. Santana, Morales, Nathan, and a few others were mentioned. How the heck can Peavy's name not even be mentioned let alone not be thrown into the conversation?

This year on the TV broadcst schedule, (Except for one spring training game) ESPN has NO GAMES scheduled for The Sox this year.

I know that we are all Sox fans and have some great hopes this year, but why don't major networks see us as a legitimate threat?

I mean....C'mon already! Look at our line up and rotaion and pen! Maybe it's not tops in the majors, but sheesh......I don't thnk that we should be looked upon as a pile of rags that aren't worth the time of day for discussion on contending and being a threat!

He promptly sexually harassed the closest female intern.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
:violin

Playing the world's saddest song.. on the world's tiniest violin..

Seriously though, being the second most popular team in the city's (country's?) second most popular sport doesn't help.

I've never been impressed with ESPN's broad baseball coverage. Baseball Tonight does a pretty good job of covering everyone, but SportsCenter and non-baseball specific shows are crap. The MLBN guys all have their pretty obvious biases. Steve Phillips was always the national media's voice of the White Sox and he no longer has the outlet.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)

This year On MLBN ,when they were going through who they thought were the top 10 best teams this year, Rod Allen picked The Sox as #8 and Harold Reynolds laughed his head off and said that he was surprised that they were on the list at all!

When Reynolds was asked about the depth of The Sox rotation, he ducked the question and reverted the question over to Oakland and yacked up a storm about them.

7 on Fox GOTW and 1 ESPN game on August 1. Also, I believe MLBN doesn't set a schedule for the games it picks up during the season, and if memory serves me right, there were a few on last year because MLBN was either blacked out or showed an alternate game. I believe ESPN "flexes" games later in the year to get more relevant games on, so it's possible they'll have more.

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/1395-...adcast-schedule

I guess maybe they were Tiger heavy last week on MLBN, but I also watched and their broadcasters said good things about the Sox through the off-season, it goes from show to show and week to week sometimes. Honestly, outside the NYY and Bos, I bet a lot of fans of other teams have similar complaints.

Ultimately, who cares, the Sox have consistently had a top 10 payroll, and while you can argue with how the team does it, they have the resources to put on paper competitive teams out there.

ESPN is a different story, that is everything NYY or Bos do is important and all other teams get 2nd fiddle on that network.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
:violin

Yeah! I hear what you are saying! It's just that i am a big baseball freak and until baseball season starts, the only pre-season shows that are on seem to have liitle to say about us. Just getting tired of waiting for the season to start, and in the meantime, there are times that we just seem non-existent.

this shouldn't bother you at all really. when all of the 2011 projections all come out and about 25% of all major network guys are picking the white sox to win this year, it will be OK. what they think really doesn't matter. i don't find much disrespect that MIN and DET get love too. they both have solid teams, thus they should get love on those networks. when it is all said and done though, it is what happens on the field. if you love the sox, like we all do, you will watch, back them, curse ozzie, love ozzie, watch on mlb.tv if you are an out of towner, etc.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
It bothers me because I live outside of the Chicago market, but it's not something I take offense to. Also, with mlb.tv i care less about it now, but it still is nice for out of towners to see games nationally broadcast, so that is unfortunate if ESPN really has zero games scheduled this year.

they have at least one, and if someone can confirm it for me, I believe they use a flexible schedule later in the season

We just don't have a cute little story to go along with us. We were never cursed, we're not lovable when we lose, we're usually in contention but we're not consistently great. It's that simple really, we're just an above average franchise who apparently isn't too fun to talk about, just wait until Ozzie is gone, we'll really never get mentioned unless we're winning championships.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 12:58 PM)
If this really bothers you, then you're a fan of the wrong team.

Hell, even the Cubs can get ignored towards the end of a season if they're having a down year. Then it becomes Bears time.

I don't look to much into these things, the Sox need to play well on the field. That's all that matters.

Eh, there is nothing about us that should be dominating the headlines. I think we fall into the fringe of the second tier of teams. We aren't in the Boston/Yankees/Phillies group for sure. I would tend to put us at the end of the next batch of teams that if they have things go right for them, they have a chance at making it. There are still questions to be answered for sure.

I saw the segment you're talking about on the injured players who can come back and make an impact. Also surprised Peavy got no mention but ( and I didn't catch it from the beginning) it seemed like they were using a lot of fan comments from their facebook page so maybe none of us Sox fans said anything about Peavy on the MLB network's FB page.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 09:39 AM)
We just don't have a cute little story to go along with us. We were never cursed, we're not lovable when we lose, we're usually in contention but we're not consistently great. It's that simple really, we're just an above average franchise who apparently isn't too fun to talk about, just wait until Ozzie is gone, we'll really never get mentioned unless we're winning championships.

So to make a long story short , we're just not sexy enough !

The White Sox got more love from MLB Network than anybody when they featured the team on the doc series The Show. And Rod Allen is a tool and they were laughing at him because he was such a homer listing the Sox behind the Tigers. The reason? Allen went on to say the bullpen. He said Sale (4 saves last season) and Thornton (8 saves last season) have NO closing experience...way to be informed on national TV, buddy.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
He said Sale (4 saves last season) and Thornton (8 saves last season) have NO closing experience...way to be informed on national TV, buddy.

To be fair to him, that isn't too far removed from having no closing experience. One can only hope as a Sox fan that Sale's run as a closer last year wasn't just a product of hitters never seeing him pitch before, which is entirely possible, and will make me uneasy until he picks up where he left off and stays there.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
To be fair to him, that isn't too far removed from having no closing experience. One can only hope as a Sox fan that Sale's run as a closer last year wasn't just a product of hitters never seeing him pitch before, which is entirely possible, and will make me uneasy until he picks up where he left off and stays there.

Sale's stuff is flat out ridiculous. If he stays healthy, he has the best raw left-handed stuff I've seen from any pitcher since pre-surgery Liriano. Maybe better than him even; Chris hasn't featured all of his offspeed stuff yet.

He could also suddenly struggle with the strike zone unexpectedly, but really, if he stays healthy and throws strikes with the fastball...people aren't hitting him. If he can get that slider over, people won't even be swinging. If he can get a 3rd pitch over, people might as well just forfeit.