2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
I don't know if Cowardly works here, as he actually stepped up to the plate attempting to back up his words. I will give him credit, he likes to talk s***, but he didn't just run & hide in this case.

True. I have been curious to see what it would be like to stand in on a fast-pitch softball pitcher. I know it probably isn't fair to make fun of a grown man but Cowley's mechanics make me wonder if he ever played baseball as a kid, though that's not to say that I would or wouldn't do better than him.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
True. I have been curious to see what it would be like to stand in on a fast-pitch softball pitcher. I know it probably isn't fair to make fun of a grown man but Cowley's mechanics make me wonder if he ever played baseball as a kid, though that's not to say that I would or wouldn't do better than him.

The mound is only like 40 feet away, so I think it could be just as tough as trying to hit a big league pitcher. From Wiki:

Pitchers throw the ball with an underhand motion at speeds up to 75 miles per hour (121 km/h) for women and up to 100 miles per hour (160 km/h) for men. Considering the distance between the pitcher and batter (40 to 43 feet (12 to 13 m)), the equivalent batter reaction time in baseball would be to a 125 miles per hour (201 km/h) pitch from 60 feet (18 m).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 10:36 AM)
The mound is only like 40 feet away, so I think it could be just as tough as trying to hit a big league pitcher. From Wiki:

Ugh, I hate when people try to make comparisons like that...

Like when Favre would throw a football and they would be like "that's the equivalent of a 97 MPH fastball"

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 11:46 PM)
Its not the science part as its almost like they believe he could go throw a 97 mph fastball

It'd take some time to adapt the hand and arm to it, but if you had a guy working on it for a period of weeks/months, that's prbably what it would translate to.

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 10:46 PM)
Its not the science part as its almost like they believe he could go throw a 97 mph fastball

I agree that it's a dumb comparison with Favre, cause a football is larger and shaped differently, and the receiver is trying to catch it, not hit it with a bat.

In softball, it's the exact same premise as baseball. Hit the ball with the bat, just a softball may be a bit larger. I think the comparison is pretty justified.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 08:26 AM)
When asked about adding a catcher potentially...

Scott Merkin

@scottmerkin Scott Merkin

White Sox still without the financial wherewithal to add on at this point

IE - Jerry's telling KW to f*** off.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
Not likely. I think KW wants Flowers in there, he wants to show the trade he made to get him was a good one. I doubt Kenny even wants to go get someone else at this point.

There is a thought there... Notice that since the guys Ozzie has been keeping the line up have started being out of the line up more often, the team is playing better?

I went to the game last night and stayed for the whole thing. I would have hit my head against a wall repeatedly had they lost.

Thank you Juan Pierre!

And oh, Tyler Flowers looks like a pretty good hitter.

Funny tidbit: I don't know if this was heard on the TV broadcast, but when Choo was up in extras, the entire crowd did the Ahhhhhhh-Choo thing. The best part is that it worked and Choo struck out.

Edited by chw42

I was impressed with the crowd last night, those of you that stayed.

To be truthful, I was so pissed at our leaving runners on base I didn't care if we won or lost til I thought of the fans.

I wanted that 'W' for the loyal fans who stuck around after Sergio's stinkbomb in the ninth and stayed until we finally won on Juan's hit.

Fans seemed great. How many were there at the end? About 5,000? More?