Peavy had rotator cuff tendinitis

Heads22

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like somebody said, we need Freddy about now. Sucks that he's gone.

I wonder if we could make some minor deal with somebody to get a Bruce Chen type guy (not Chen, but somebody like him).

Any guys out there still unsigned?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 05:18 AM)

I wonder if we could make some minor deal with somebody to get a Bruce Chen type guy (not Chen, but somebody like him).

You don't think Humbler will be adequate for two starts in April before Jake comes back in May?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 12:18 AM)

Freddy probably won't make the Yankees out of spring training, I think that's pretty telling considering his competition and the number of jobs that were open for the taking. From what I have read, he is losing to Nova and Bartolo Colon, of all people, for the final rotation spot.

He really should've signed a major league deal with someone.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 01:44 AM)
Isolated Peavy's quotes.

Sorry Peavy, but I'm calling bulls***. You didn't say anything until now. The only one that knows that you are hurting is you, plain and simple. Please stop trying to put the blame on Kenny/Ozzie/Coop.

He's saying the right things about being smart, he's just not following his own words.

Last time, he didn't say anything till his muscle snapped off. This time, his shoulder hurts and he told the staff. There was very little way for him to tell that his shoulder soreness after the Angels game was tendinitis until it didn't go away.

It is my opinion that the crazy outpouring of wrath we're seeing is a direct result of the anxiety people have swallowed regarding Peavy's health. The moment a wrinkle showed itself, all those anxieties erupted. It's understandable, but it's far from rational. (not necessarily directed at Krush, just Sox fandom in general)

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 12:24 AM)
Last time, he didn't say anything till his muscle snapped off. This time, his shoulder hurts and he told the staff. There was very little way for him to tell that his shoulder soreness after the Angels game was tendinitis until it didn't go away.

It is my opinion that the crazy outpouring of wrath we're seeing is a direct result of the anxiety people have swallowed regarding Peavy's health. The moment a wrinkle showed itself, all those anxieties erupted. It's understandable, but it's far from rational. (not necessarily directed at Krush, just Sox fandom in general)

+1.

There is no question that each and every time Jake pitched and side sessioned this spring all the docs, KW Ozzie and Coop sat down with him and and they checked him out. The idea that Jake was out there on his own keeping secrets is idiotic. There was always a ton of dialogue about just how he was feeling and how much to work out between starts. Nobody knew quite what to do and they admitted that they shouldn't have worked him out so hard on off days rehabbing the first couple weeks. Then they scaled that program back. There was no way to anticipate what that setback was going to be, but there has ALWAYS been an understanding that it was coming. So, the setback is here. BFD. He steps down for a few weeks and ramps it back up when he's ready. He's pitched pretty damn well all spring and once they get a handle on this soreness he's gonna be fine. Why people are so unstable about all this is just bizarre.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 12:21 AM)
Freddy probably won't make the Yankees out of spring training, I think that's pretty telling considering his competition and the number of jobs that were open for the taking. From what I have read, he is losing to Nova and Bartolo Colon, of all people, for the final rotation spot.

He really should've signed a major league deal with someone.

Garcia would be available if we really needed someone from the sounds of it, but why would he have wanted to be our sixth starter, when chances were for him he could have been 4th or 5th starter for the Yankees?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 11:44 PM)
Isolated Peavy's quotes.

Sorry Peavy, but I'm calling bulls***. You didn't say anything until now. The only one that knows that you are hurting is you, plain and simple. Please stop trying to put the blame on Kenny/Ozzie/Coop.

He's saying the right things about being smart, he's just not following his own words.

There's a good possibility that he was lying on purpose. He really wants to return and patients will go into denial. He may be thinking "it's really not that bad" or " I just came off surgery so it's going to feel a little different."

Either way you can't trust his subjective information regarding the pain but I wouldn't rush to judge him and necessarily say he was outright lying. The blame really is on his shoulder(s) as the Sox can only go by what they see, he was doing well, and what he reports.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 07:17 AM)
Garcia would be available if we really needed someone from the sounds of it, but why would he have wanted to be our sixth starter, when chances were for him he could have been 4th or 5th starter for the Yankees?

Never said he should have come here, but he should've gotten a major league deal, no matter where he went. He and his agent should've realized that with Freddy's stuff diminishing rapidly, that risking have to have an impressive spring training to make a squad would be a very risky move.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 07:48 AM)
Never said he should have come here, but he should've gotten a major league deal, no matter where he went. He and his agent should've realized that with Freddy's stuff diminishing rapidly, that risking have to have an impressive spring training to make a squad would be a very risky move.

I would bet no one offered it. There would have been no reason for him to take a minor league deal if a major league one was out there. The other thing that makes me think that is how late in the process he signed.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 07:40 AM)
There's a good possibility that he was lying on purpose. He really wants to return and patients will go into denial. He may be thinking "it's really not that bad" or " I just came off surgery so it's going to feel a little different."

Either way you can't trust his subjective information regarding the pain but I wouldn't rush to judge him and necessarily say he was outright lying. The blame really is on his shoulder(s) as the Sox can only go by what they see, he was doing well, and what he reports.

Honestly reading Jake's quotes and the organizations quotes, that is how I was thinking that this went down. We always hear that pitchers have soreness, so how is he supposed to know that this specific soreness is something bigger, until it becomes something bigger. They also told him to expect soreness, so when it happened, why would he be worried about it? Its a catch 22 from the way I read it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 08:49 AM)
I would bet no one offered it. There would have been no reason for him to take a minor league deal if a major league one was out there. The other thing that makes me think that is how late in the process he signed.

It really is surprising that he couldn't get a major league deal after last season, at least if he went to the NL. But yeah, there is zero reason to think he'd sign a minor league deal if a major league one is on the table.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 07:51 AM)
Honestly reading Jake's quotes and the organizations quotes, that is how I was thinking that this went down. We always hear that pitchers have soreness, so how is he supposed to know that this specific soreness is something bigger, until it becomes something bigger. They also told him to expect soreness, so when it happened, why would he be worried about it? Its a catch 22 from the way I read it.

It is, either way he was damned by the same fans that are damning him now. If he had told the Sox he was hurting after his first session of the season, these same people would be calling him out for having an injury history, or even better, claim he's being overly protective since the injury, and lost his edge. No matter which way he did things, he was going to get called out by the same crowd.

I call this the baseball hindsight crowd...every team has this annoying variety of fan, and what they specialize in is examining things after the fact. They're really good at making multi-edged predictions, increasing their chance to "guess right", and then claim to have "told you so" when one of the 50 possible predictions they made comes true.

Let's be real here.

Nobody on this board had any realistic expectations that Peavy would start the season with the Sox. N O B O D Y. Everybody expected him to start late April/early May. E V E R Y B O D Y. Now get over it.

"I'm certainly not the guy the Sox thought they were trading for," .... This quote in today's Trib says it all. I wonder what Kenny's reaction was when he read it this morning. What a misrable trade, and he followed that up with getting rid of Dan Hudson to the DBacks. Kenny is kind of the Josh McDaniel of MLB GM's.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 06:32 PM)
The Yankees also have a farm system and cash to go out and upgrade if they really need to. We don't.

I'm sure they will end up making a move at the deadline, but right now that system & all that cash has gotten them Garcia, Colon, or Mitre in the 5th starter spot.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 11:18 PM)

I read an article yesterday that had Garcia saying he wouldn't accept a minor league assignment if he didn't make the Yankees. That said, the Sox would probably only have an open spot in the rotation for him until May, so I don't see him coming here either unless he's a ) cool with going to the pen after Peavy returns b ) Sox want a 6 man rotation c ) he likes our minor league affiliates.

Can't see another Garcia encore for the Sox.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)
"I'm certainly not the guy the Sox thought they were trading for," .... This quote in today's Trib says it all. I wonder what Kenny's reaction was when he read it this morning. What a misrable trade, and he followed that up with getting rid of Dan Hudson to the DBacks. Kenny is kind of the Josh McDaniel of MLB GM's.

No.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)

Except when you look at guys like John Danks, Gavin Floyd, Matt Thornton, Carlos Quentin and company, it isn't true.

I think the flu could be a factor here. People get muscle aches for seemingly no good reason at all and can be less than 100% for weeks. This is in addition to throwing with weakened muscles from a surgically repaired lat. I'm not ready to drag Jake's name through the mud over a little shoulder soreness in spring training when most of us did not expect him to sniff the opening day roster. If anything, I blame the training staff for letting a guy with the flu come back too soon. The blame falls on the Sox. They are in charge of his rehab. They seem a little star struck by him and his competitive personality. Who here didn't think Jake would push himself hard? Of course the Sox should have known that too and forced him to rehab at a reasonable pace.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
I think the flu could be a factor here. People get muscle aches for seemingly no good reason at all and can be less than 100% for weeks. This is in addition to throwing with weakened muscles from a surgically repaired lat. I'm not ready to drag Jake's name through the mud over a little shoulder soreness in spring training when most of us did not expect him to sniff the opening day roster. If anything, I blame the training staff for letting a guy with the flu come back too soon. The blame falls on the Sox. They are in charge of his rehab. They seem a little star struck by him and his competitive personality. Who here didn't think Jake would push himself hard? Of course the Sox should have known that too and forced him to rehab at a reasonable pace.

Seriously folks, why exactly are we concluding that he "Pushed himself too hard"?

He could have taken an extra 4 months off doing weight training and still wound up with tendinitis when he started throwing...because he hadn't been throwing at an MLB-level for nearly a year.